In partnership with Revlon; thoughts and opinions are my own. I'm perfectly capable of telling a believable lie, like that time I told our Liza (LEEZA) Herz that the amazon.ca box she happened to catch me opening contained phone batteries my dad had sent me when it really contained her birthday present. But I don't lie about my age, or about what I do to my skin or have done by derms. And although I tweak lighting and sharpness in Facetune (a photo retouching app) before posting to Instagram, I don't smooth the heck out of my skin texture or fine lines and wrinkles. But the new Revlon Youth FX collection is making me look like I do.
revlon youth fx: the lineup
You need to know something: I loathe blur products. Not that they don't work – they do absolutely deliver that old-Hollywood camera-filter effect, softening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and texture for a smoother, younger-looking finish. It's just that they're usually silicone-based and feel like a layer of squishy, suffocating, plasticized mousse on the skin. Ugh.
Thus, I approached Revlon Youth FX with caution.
A collection that includes a blurring primer for face and neck, a primer specifically for the forehead, 6 shades of concealers and 12 shades of high-coverage foundation, Revlon Youth FX is a full system designed to be used together or separately depending on your goals. Each formula blurs and fills in lines and wrinkles with microfillers and optical diffusers, and promises to look and feel fresh and comfortable all day.
revlon youth fx: the results
I knew the visual result was going to be good, partly because blur formulas do perform, and partly because it's Revlon, a solid, trusted beauty brand with a long history of excellent things. (ColorStay foundation is huge; Revlon cream eyeshadow is fab; Revlon lip colour, whether lipstick or gloss or stain or matte liquid, is so, so good – Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Cherries in the Snow, which debuted in 1952, is iconic – and our Manigeek is a longtime Revlon polish fan.)
Granted, thanks to my longtime sun aversion, I have fewer wrinkles and lines than one might expect on a 49-year-old face that has never had fillers or Botox. But in this beautiful lighting by top fashion and beauty photogs Lily and Lilac, the Revlon Youth FX collection makes my skin look Photoshopped, even though it isn't. And in an on-set selfie snapped in natural light, my complexion's never looked better. (I love Revlon pro Sabrina Rinaldi's simple and pretty artistry, too. In general I lean toward natural yet polished makeup looks like this because they're all about looking blessed, not made up.)
revlon youth fx: the feel
And here's a surprise: for the most part, Revlon Youth FX collection does not feel like the blur stuff I've tried in the past. Revlon Youth FX feels weightless!
Even when Sabrina used the entire system on my skin for this shoot – yep, I'm wearing the Revlon Youth FX Fill + Blur Primer for Forehead, Fill + Blur Primer for Face/Neck, Fill + Blur Foundation and Fill + Blur Concealer and Fill + Blur Foundation – my skin felt quite content and unburdened. (On set, Sabrina blended Youth FX in 110 Ivory and 130 Porcelain for my complexion; on my own, I use shade 200 Nude.)
I've tried wearing the full system to see whether my own application might feel different. Nope. The Fill + Blur Foundation has enough pigment to deliver considerable coverage if desired, so I tested it that way, and it felt as weightless as it did when Sabrina applied it at the shoot. The makeup moves with my face; no cracks or caking in the finish.
More often, I wear the only the foundation (in 200 Nude) and concealer (in 02 Light) with a light dusting of pressed powder, and wow. Instant Facetune. Even without the primers.
See? I did this myself and snapped it with my iPhone 5S, and my complexion looks like I've digitally smoothed it – of course I have not.
I may have approached this collection with caution, but given the photo results, especially with my iPhone – the finish lasts all day without caking up, btw – I'm now all in. I have no issue with the silicones in the formula when this is what they do without feeling like shrink-wrap on my face.
Plus, every time I wear Revlon Youth FX, I get lovely compliments. "You've done something to your skin," an industry colleague said, completely unprompted as she peered closely at me – we'd just said hello at an event. "It looks so fresh and glowy and poreless!"
Anyone who tries to take my Revlon Youth FX Fill & Blur away from me is going to have Troubles.
I have to try other complexion makeup because #itsmyjob, but Revlon Youth FX has earned a key spot in my personal kit. Obviously it'll be a first choice whenever possible if a selfie is required. It's also genius for tired-face days because it camouflages fatigue beautifully. And while I don't need the Youth FX Fill + Blur Primer for Forehead and the Fill + Blur Primer for Face/Neck on a daily basis, they're on deck for remedial assistance for special events or when my mirror yells at me for skimping on sleep and water.
But there is a teensy snag....
revlon youth fx: application tips
This collection of primers, foundation and concealer takes a little getting used to when it comes to putting it on. It might seem confusing because there are two primers, but each has a role to play if you want that full, smoothing effect. Still, Youth FX might require a couple of technique adjustments:
1) "You get the best application over well moisturized skin," says Sabrina, national makeup artist for Revlon in Canada. I found the same thing. Everything just glides on and blends easily, But then, that's often the case with most primers and foundations.
2) This is the teensy snag: choose your moisturizer carefully. I've discovered that over the wrong formula, the concealer and foundation smear and drag and ball-up as I try to apply them. I cannot wear Youth FX over Glossier Priming Moisturizer, and I suspect it's because of whatever gives the face cream it's "priming" effect. But when I apply Youth FX over Yves Rocher Sensitive Végetal Soothing Moisturizing Cream, it's brilliant.
3) The Revlon Youth FX Fill + Blur Primer for Forehead ($21.99 CAD at amazon.ca and drugstores, and $19.99 USD at ulta.com) is a liquid designed specifically for the planes of the forehead and the nature of those horizontal creases. But application is key: "Paint it on generously in VERTICAL strokes, then lightly blend it over the skin with fingertips," Sabrina advises. (See the how-to video in this post.) Brushing the colourless liquid across horizontal lines and wrinkles fills them in more efficiently, and smoothing formula all over the forehead prevents weird edges. "Make sure the primer is completely dry before applying other makeup over it," adds Sabrina.
4) Revlon Youth FX Fill + Blur Primer for Face/Neck ($21.99 CAD at amazon.ca and drugstores and $19.99 USD at ulta.com) has a balm-like consistency. It has no colour, so you can wear it on its own if you just want a little polish before you run out to do errands or to drop the kids at school, says Sabrina. "It's great for longer and deeper vertical lines on the face and those "tech-neck" horizontal lines, too. The teardrop applicator makes it easy to stroke the primer lightly over the skin; the heat from your fingertips will help blend it into the skin." The formula will also smooth and mattify oily areas of the complexion.
5) If for whatever reason you have to re-blend an area of Revlon Youth FX Fill + Blur Foundation SPF 20 ($21.99 CAD at amazon.ca and drugstores, and $17.99 USD at ulta.com) after it's settled over your skin, I've found it's best to do so with a tiny bit of fresh foundation on your fingertip – it'll re-blend seamlessly.
6) For best results, use concealer after foundation (I bet most of you already do that anyway). The cushion applicator on the Revlon Youth FX Fill + Blur Concealer ($16.99 CAD at amazon.ca and drugstores, and $13.99 USD at ulta.com) makes it super-easy to apply, on inner corners of lids, under eyes, around the base of the nose, and wherever else you need a little extra camouflage. (On a really good skin day, I can get away with just the concealer and a touch of pressed powder.) Blend lightly with a fingertip.
The Revlon Youth FX collection is in drugstores now and available to Canadians via drugstores and mass retailers; visit this Revlon page to check out the shades.
I'm not joking when I say I'll menace anyone who tries to take my Revlon Youth FX away. I hadn't really thought about this until I saw the results in my own iPhone snaps, but Youth FX boosts my selfie confidence. That's gold when you're of a generation that overall isn't that comfortable posting their own faces on social media. Keeping in mind that #itsmyjob helps a little; having a foundation that makes my skin look effortlessly younger and brighter helps a lot. And really, as if I'd mind being made to look like a liar about having Facetuned my skin or about my age.
What do you think of all this? Is the Revlon Youth FX collection something you think you might try?
REVLON YOUTH FX FILL + BLUR FOUNDATION Ingredients: Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water (Eau)), PEG / PPG-19 / 19 Dimethicone, C13-16 Isoparaffin, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Isohexadecane, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Stearyl Heptanoate, Boron Nitride, Tribehenin, Stearyl Caprylate, C10-13 Isoparaffin, Maris Sal ((Sea Salt) Sel Marin), Tocopherol, Niacinamide, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium Carrageenan, Saccharide Isomerate, Glycerin, Trisiloxane, Alumina, Methicone, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Sodium Chloride, Dimethicone / Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Tetrasodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol.
REVLON YOUTH FX FILL + BLUR CONCEALER Ingredients: Aqua (Water (Eau)), Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Glycerin, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Cetyl PEG / PPG 10 / 1 Dimethicone, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Nylon-12, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Chloride, Niacinamide, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Steareth-20, Chrysin, N-Hydroxysuccinimide, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-1, Palmitoyl Tetrapeptide-7, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Carrageenan, Maris Sal ((Sea Salt) Sel Marin), Saccharide Isomerate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Xanthan Gum, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Methicone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hexylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Caprylyl Glycol.
REVLON FILL + BLUR PRIMER FOR FOREHEAD Ingredients: Isododecane, Aqua ((Water) Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Vinyl Dimethicone / Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Polysilicone-11, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Adipic Acid / Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, Maris Sal ((Sea Salt) Sel Marin), Glycerin, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Acrylamide / Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Laureth-12, Polysorbate 80, Ethylhexylglycerin, Saccharide Isomerate, Sodium Carrageenan, Phenoxyethanol.
REVLON YOUTH FX FILL + BLUR PRIMER FOR FACE/NECK Ingredients: Aqua ((Water) Eau), Cyclopentasiloxane, Polysilicone-11, Isododecane, Glycerin, Adipic Acid / Neopentyl Glycol Crosspolymer, PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, Maris Sal ((Sea Salt) Sel Marin), Acrylamide/Sodium Acryloyldimethyltaurate Copolymer, Methyl Methacrylate Crosspolymer, Isohexadecane, Laureth-12, Polysorbate 80, Ethylhexylglycerin, Saccharide Isomerate, Sodium Carrageenan, Phenoxyethanol, Caprylyl Glycol.