Got fancy plans this Valentine's Day? Or you've always wanted to know how to do a tousled updo? (Up-do?) Celebrity hair/makeup pro Darrell Redleaf is back in another video tutorial to show us how to do one-minute updo complete with a side of bling. He says the transformation from long waves to a tousled chignon takes about 10 seconds. He's not far off including the finishing touches that take just a few seconds more.
the one-minute updo
As I mentioned in the previous post on how to achieve Cheryl's beautiful, old-Hollywood waves, hair/makeup pro Darrell Redleaf has worked with a host of film and television stars such as Cameron Diaz, Helen Hunt and Selena Gomez. When we shot these hair tutorials, he was in Toronto to chat about Flow, a new professional haircare brand based right here in this city. I'm not a fan of the sweet-candy scent they've used, but I liked the non-sticky control of the styling products I tried in my hair when I met with Darrell, and I love the Flow 30-Second conditioning treatment (it works as quickly as it promises).
the one-minute updo re-cap how-to
Yep, you need a faux-hair scrunchie in a shade similar to your own. (Check your local beauty-supply shop.) Doesn't have to match exactly; note how the colour Darrell used in Cheryl's hair added dimension to her chignon.
- Gather the length of your hair and pull it back into a ponytail using your faux-hair scrunchie (it's just fun to type that).
- Loop the hair scrunchie around the ponytail twice, and on the third loop, just don't pull the hair all the way through.
- Give the looped hair a little tug on either side to shape it a little.
- Dress the style up with a sparkly hair clip at the base of the chignon.
- Set and control flyaways with a light mist of hairspray; Darrell used Flow Impeccable Finish Flex Hairspray, a workable formula that delivers hold and shine without stickiness.
So easy! Whaddya think, lovelies?