Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft-Matte Foundation, Brow Drama Pomade Crayons, Color Sensational Color Tattoo Crayons, Master Contour Kit... so many new releases are coming from the popular drugstore brand in the next couple of months! And in the video below, top makeup artist Grace Lee shows us how to achieve rich-girl smoky eyes using all these items.
I could watch amazing Grace apply and blend makeup all. day. long. (She did this radiant makeup on Gigi Hadid, remember?) The Maybelline pro and lead artist at the World MasterCard Fashion Week shows on at David Pecaut Square in Toronto right now, she's a master at creating stunning looks in mere minutes. The gorgeous smoky look she created on model Ksenia for the Lucian Matis Spring/Summer 2016 runway show took her maybe 18 minutes.
rich-girl smoky eyes with drugstore makeup:
1) Grace started this rich-girl smoky-eyed look with an application of Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft Matte Foundation, blended over Ksenia's complexion with the Dream Blending Foundation Blender Sponge – looks a lot like a Beauty Blender sponge on a handle, doesn't it?
2) Next, Grace created a long-wearing base on the lids using Color Tattoo Concentrated Crayon Eyeshadow in Bronze Truffle. She used the same crayon to create a generous line of colour along the lower lashlines.
3) To deepen the shades on the lids, Grace layered two bronze-y shades from The Nudes eyeshadow palette over the crayon shadow base. Tip: pat the powder over the base; use sweeping back-and-forth strokes only to blend.
4) Grace then dabbed her brush into the black shadow in The Nudes palette and blended it over the outer corners of Ksensia's lids to add depth.
5) With Maybelline Lasting Drama Waterproof Gel Pencil in Glazed Toffee, Grace defined the outer edges of Ksenia's lower lashlines.
6) She emphasized the upper lashlines by running Lasting Drama Waterproof Gel Pencil in Sleek Onyx along the base of the eyelashes.
7) Grace applied generous coats of Volum' Express The Falsies Push Up Drama Mascara to complete the smoky eye makeup.
I'm most fascinated with Grace's layering and blending technique. No paint-by-numbers colour demarcation here. Every eyeshadow shade blends seamlessly into the next, creating gorgeous depth and shape.
Also note how Grace uses the new Maybelline Master Contour kit. She strokes the contour foward from the ear area, and applies blush from the opposite direction, starting at the apple of the cheek. That technique effortlessly diffuses any contour edges – the blush blends right over it. And you'll see that she uses her finger to apply the contour highlight. "I like to feel exactly where the cheekbone is," she says. Her fingertips also allow a more precise highlight placement.
Grace finished the look with Maybelline Color Sensational Vivid Matte Liquid Lip Color in Nude Flush.
Here, why don't I quit babbling and let you watch Grace at work:
What do you think? Would you try this modern smoky eye yourself? What do you think of the Master Contour Kit? We agree that contouring is a technique, not a trend, right?