If you want to copy the glittering Katy Perry prismatic nails from the Toronto stop of her Prismatic World Tour, just ask nail expert Leeanne Colley, owner of Tips Nail Bar. She knows precisely what Katy wore on her nails last Friday and Saturday night because she was in Katy Perry's dressing room giving her the disco-ball gel manicure herself. Actually, you don't have to ask. In the video below, not only does Leeanne tell Beautygeeks what she used, she walks us through the steps and demos a nail-polish option for non-gel users too. Isn't she nice?
katy perry prismatic nails: video tutorial, exact look
In the Beautygeeks video below, Leeanne shows us two ways to apply the Katy Perry prismatic nails from the shows last Friday night and Saturday, too. Leeanne models the look herself in the above image.
For the gel version of the Katy Perry prismatic nails, you need:
- soak-off gel base coat (Leeanne used Artistic Colour Gloss)
- chunky silver/iridescent glitter (Leeanne used CND Additives Glitter in Silver Shimmer)
- a gel top coat (Leeanne Entity Color Couture Soak-Off Top Coat)
- a cuticle pusher or toothpick
- a UV lamp (LED if your gel is LED-sensitive)
katy perry prismatic nails: how-to
- Apply a thin coat of the gel base coat on clean bare nails (Leeanne says do two at a time).
- Cure the gel base coat as per the formula's instructions.
- After curing, the surface of the gel on the nails should be sticky -- perfect for holding onto glitter.
- Dip each finger into the jar of metallic, holographic glitter.
- Tap each finger as you withdraw it from the glitter jar, to get excess off your skin.
- Gently press the glitter into the top coat to encourage a smoother surface.
- Use your cuticle pusher or toothpick to remove the excess glitter from skin.
- Top the glitter with one layer of top coat.
- After curing, dip fingers into the glitter again to add depth.
- Repeat steps 5, 6, 7 and 8.
- After curing again, wipe the surface of the top coat with acetone to remove the sticky layer.
The CND Additives glitter Leeanne used is a professional product, tricky for consumers to buy. An excellent alternative is MAC Cosmetics Glitter in 3D Silver (above left); it's available at MAC Pro stores.
Fun fact: although this is the first time Leeanne has done Katy Perry's nails, it's not the first time Katy Perry has admired Leeanne's work. At the MMVAs in 2012, photogs snapped Perry and Carly Rae Jepsen having a geek-out about each other's manicure -- Leeanne had done Carly Rae's. See the related stories here and hereand here.
Not into gel manicures? At the 3:08 point in the video below, Leeanne walks us through the nail-polish version of the Katy Perry prismatic nails using CND Vinylux Weekly Top Coat and the CND Additives Glitter (or the MAC 3D Silver). Here, watch!
Easy, right?? Would you do it?