For a hot date, girls' night, or dinner with a bestie, a bold lip is a super-fast way to get out of the office looking great. But hold on -- with just a few extra minutes, you can pull off this gorgeous Bold Lips Smokey Eyes look. No, really -- we asked celebrity makeup artist Joanna Schlip to show us how in the Beautygeeks "Desk to Date Night" video below.
bold lips smokey eyes for everyone
We love the makeup model Cara Delevingne wears here. A middle-ground, easy-to-wear version of the ’80s-inspired Bold Lips Smokey Eyes look, it's not too dramatic for some of us, and definitely not -- well, trashy.
We also love celebrity makeup artist Joanna Schlip, the spokesperson for Physicians Formula and one of our favourite beauty crushes. Down-to-earth and fast on her feet (she's a Beauty MacGyver), Joanna is a fount of tips and tricks. She's worked with a host of celebs and is responsible for the glowing faces in all the PF campaigns. In our video, she takes Morgan's makeup from desk to date in a snap with a Bold Lips Smokey Eyes look similar to Cara's, and gives us great technique advice, too. Hint: Jell-o and Kool-Aid.
bold lips smokey eyes tutorial re-cap
- you'll need a bold lip liner and matching lip colour + a black or deep shade of kajal liner + medium-deep shade of eye shadow
- start by touching up with concealer and powder as needed
- Beauty MacGyver tip alert (1:00): if you like, you can create a lasting base for bold lips via Jell-o or Kool-Aid
- the shape of your lips changes when you smile, so once you've filled in with pencil, smile with your lips closed and check the edges
- kajal eye pencils are great for fast eye work -- the large tip is all creamy colour, easy to deposit quickly (PF kajals are long-wearing, too)
- reminder: a smokey eye doesn't have to be black or brown; try navy, or "mismatch -- do plum on the bottom and copper on the eye," says Joanna
- you want precision on the lips, but for the eyes you want to smudge and blend, blend, blend to keep things fresh and youthful
- get to know "powder face" (6:20) when you want to blend out those little makeup creases down the sides of your mouth
- below: black kajal from the Physicians Formula Sexy Booster Sexy Eyes Trio ($15.79 at drugstores) and Sexy Booster Sexy Glow Glossy Stain ($9.95 at drugstores; also comes in pink)
I want to try this Bold Lips Smokey Eyes look with plum along the bottom lashlines and copper on top, and maybe with a fuchsia or orange lip. What do you think? What would you do?
Found the opening photo of model Cara Delevingne on Pinterest; please share the original credit information with us if you know it so we can include it and link to the original online story.