We've covered visually lifting the face with highlight and contouring, contouring for night, lifting and shaping eyes with eye shadow and eye liner, and where to apply blush. Now, from our favourite man with a million makeup tricks, Guerlain international artist Maxime Poulin, here's our video tutorial on how to create perfect lips.
Whatever the season, prep is essential for creating perfect lips. Nothing ever looks good on a flaky surface. So, three little steps before you do the rest of your makeup:
- Soak a washcloth or Shiseido Facial Cotton pad in hot water and gently buff lips until smooth (toothbrush bristles can do damage).
- Dab a bit of hydrating serum on lips. Try Neostrata Moisture Infusion 24hr Hydrating Serum ($37.75 at drugstores) or all-natural Consonant HydrExtreme (from $72 via consonantbody.com).
- Finish with a coat of soft, emollient lip balm, an ointment texture that blankets the lips. Try Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25 ($8, sephora.ca); Bioderma Atoderm Lip Balm ($14, murale.ca); or Biotherm Beurre de Lèvres Lip Balm ($20, biotherm.ca).
how to create perfect lips
In the tutorial video on lifting and shaping eyes with eye shadow, Maxime dusted a hint of light shimmer on the bow of the lips. Take note of that tip: it gives lips a lush, more youthful appearance.
Blot lip balm from lips. Then follow Maxime's steps in the video above for perfect lips for daytime:
- With a nude lip pencil, or one that matches the lip colour you plan to apply, sketch from the corner of your mouth up toward the bow of the lips. Maxime says the ascendent movement helps ensure "a happy mouth." Guerlain The Lip Liner in Bois des Indes ($34 at sephora.ca)
- Keep mouth closed as you sketch with your lip pencil; you get a better sense of the real shape of your mouth if your lips are closed.
- Remember to connect upper and lower lips at the corners.
- Apply lipstick, either straight out of the tube or via a concealer brush, which is usually a bit bigger and more efficient than a lip brush. Guerlain Rouge G de Guerlain in Gabrielle ($51, sephora.ca)
- Top with lip gloss if you like -- it makes lips look younger and fuller. Guerlain Maxi Shine Lip Gloss in Rose Splatch ($32, Guerlain boutiques)
The overall makeup in this perfect lips tutorial is easy to take from day to night. As Maxime notes, you can smoke up the eyes, put colour (or a metallic or glitter) on the lids. Or you can simply go bold on your mouth. And for added lip colour staying power, try this genius tip from another of our favourite makeup pros, Diana Carreiro.
Special thanks to model Tamara Matrouk and Guerlain makeup pro Maxime Poulin. Opening image via Pinterest; if anyone knows the source, please share so we can add it here.