Loved Selena Gomez's dramatic braid at the 2013 MTV Movie Awards. Hairstylist Marissa Marino (Nine Zero One Salon, West Hollywood), who created the look, shares her how-to with us so you can try it yourself:
- To create the pompadour, section off hair from the front of your hairline and sprinkle it with Unite Expanda Dust throughout. Tease it back, using a comb. Next, pin this section with a bobby pin to secure it in place.
- Take the rest of the hair and make five small ponytails down the centre of your head.
- Create a Dutch braid (reverse French), incorporating the ends of each ponytail into the next to create a single unit.
- Spray the Unite Session Max Hairspray all over to tame frizzies and smooth the sides around the hairline.
- To make the braid look undone, pull it apart and pin these pieces down with bobby pins.
- Finish the look with the Unite Max Control Hairspray to tame any flyaways.
I'm going to ask my nimble-fingered niece Erin to try this on me.
Did you like Selena's MTV red-carpet 'do? (Do you see a similarity between the star's braid and the stegosaurus below?? *giggle* I love the look, but from the first I thought it looks a bit dinosaur. Chic, but dinosaur.)