Natalie Portman makes brown eyes covetable. I admit it, I have colour envy when it comes to clear blue or green eyes. But in this shot, taken at the Venice Film Festival premiere of Black Swan yesterday, Portman makes me glad my eyes are brown.
Here's how you can get a similar look:
1) Tackle any darkness around the eyes first -- sure it's a smoky look, but you still want to look fresh, not tired. Try Cover FX Conceal FX Camouflage Concealer in a shade lighter than your skintone, and blend it from the inner corner of the upper lid, around the tearduct at the inner corners of eyes, and underneath, over dark circles. Conceal FX goes on best on bare skin (usually I'll do foundation first, but not with this concealer, or it could look cakey).
2) If you have great skin (whatever), try Cover FX SkinTint FX SPF 30, which contains light reflective minerals. If you need more coverage, mix a drop of luminizer, such as Smashbox Artificial Light Luminizing Lotion in Glow, with a liquid foundation such as L'OrÃ©al Paris True Match, and blend onto skin. Use a large fluffy brush to dust a tiny bit of finely milled loose powder, such as MAC Setting Powder, over foundation to set it.
3) Use a fine-tipped bent brush to line upper lashlines and lower inner rims with gel liner, such as Maybelline New York EyeStudio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black. With that black Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes pencil I keep telling you to get, line the inner upper and lower rims, getting right at the roots of the lashes.
4) Use a tapered shadow brush apply a deep shimmery brown, such as Annabelle Studio Mono Eyeshadow in Bronzed Idol, along the upper lashlines, the outer vee of the lid, and into the crease. Blend the shadow into the black liner along roots of lashes.
5) Use a flat shadow brush to press a warm gold eye shadow, such as Annabelle Studio Mono Eyeshadow in Gold Digger, over the lid and inner corners of eyes. (Rimmel London Colour Rush Quad Eye Shadow in 002 Smokey Brun would be great for this look, too.)
7) Define brows with a stiff angled brush and a powder that matches your hair. Try Joe Fresh Brow Powder in Brown or Black.
Cheeks and Lips
8) Warm cheeks with a peachy-pink blush, such as MAC Powder Blush in Fleur Power (satin).
9) Slick lips with a peachy nude lipstick, such as MAC Lustre Lipstick in Freckletone.