Turns out being a Big movie star doesn't make a guy much different from most, at least when it comes to skincare stuff. The growing variety on retail shelves, although an itty fraction of available lady potions, seems overwhelming, and frankly, shopping around for the latest and greatest holds little appeal. If someone gives you something you happen to like, though, you're loyal. And if you're Big actor Chris Noth, you become the North American face of the brand.
"I came here on a job and I couldn't bring stuff on a plane," Noth told me during his recent visit to promote his new role as the new Biotherm homme. "I said I needed some stuff, shaving cream, moisturizer. [My agent] brought me the Biotherm and it was, you know, it was simple, it was good. I just kept using it and then we formed a relationship with them."
Noth, of course, is known for his role as reformed bachelor Mr. Big in Sex and the City, and currently plays a not-so-good husband on TV's "The Good Wife." A self-described "simple" guy, he explained that before Biotherm, he wasn't into skincare. "I paid no attention to it before. I used anything and nothing." Now, although charmingly disgruntled that actors need to "look like fucking Superman" these days, he regards a regimen as part of his routine. "It's kinda like working out. You do it not just because it helps your body, but it also makes you feel clarity, grounded," he said. "You're on this earth and have to deal with gravity."
Among Noth's Biotherm Homme favourites is the High Recharge Yeux Anti-Fatigue Cold Eye-Serum under-eye roller ($40), which refreshes tired eyes. "I keep it in my car," he told me. He also regularly uses the Force Supreme Neutralizer Anti-Wrinkle Moisturizer ($55).
other manly stuff to try
- Clarins Men Active Face Scrub to get rid of flaky patches, $32
- Clarins Men Lip Guard for shine-free -- and kissable -- comfort, $15
- Clinique Skin Supplies for Men Age Defense For Eyes to help with under-eye wrinkles and dark circles, $28
- Crest Whitestrips Daily Multicare, five minutes a day for healthy-looking whiter teeth, $49.99
- Dermalogica Close Shave Oil for a supple-skin shave, $26
- Dove Men + Care Extra Fresh Body and Face Wash does double duty, $6.99
- Gillette Fusion Power MVP razor micro-pulses for a shave more comfortable for sensitive skin, $12.99
- L'Oréal Paris Men Expert Soothing Cream Cleanser for a gentle regimen start, $10.99
- La Roche-Posay XY Homme Anti-Redness Normalizing Balm to calm post-shave skin, $27
- Neutrogena Men Skin Clearing Shave Cream with salicylic acid for anti-acne assistance, $5.99