Sure there was a lot of gorgeous at Sunday's Golden Globes: Penelope Cruz's shining sculpted â€™do, Rose Byrne's simple, pretty waves and hair clip, Carey Mulligan's gamine cut and slender headband, Meryl Streep's bright orange-red lipstick, Maggie Gyllenhaal's RM by Roland Mouret dress, glowing Amy Adams, always-stunning Helen Mirren.... But the pretty that stuck with me is Ginnifer Goodwin.
One of my pet beauty peeves is the idea femininity and sexiness is all tied up in long, flowing locks. Pshaw. Natalie Portman's short-hair chic is well documented online; Halle Berry's famous pixie cut sets her apart (she looks so ordinary with longer hair -- pretty, but ordinary); and now we have Ginnifer G, all striking and sultry with defined sideswept bangs, precise brows, winged liner, rosy cheeks and subtle lips.
A makeup how-to:
1) Brighten a dull complexion with MAC Strobe Cream, a moisturizer with a healthy dose of antioxidants as well as subtle light-reflecting iridescence. If you have oily or rough skin, smooth on a touch of MAC Prep + Prime Skin to even out texture and provide a long-lasting base for foundation. Counteract oily lids with eyeshadow primer such as Cargo EyeBase.
2) Apply foundation, such as Smashbox Camera Ready Full Coverage Foundation or Maybelline New York Dream Liquid Mousse, then blend concealer, such as Joe Fresh Beauty Duo Concealer under eyes and over any still-visible redness or darkness around the base of the nose and under the lower lip.
3) Sweep lids with a neutral shade such as Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow in Tattle Tale, and define the crease softly with a slightly darker hue, such as Benefit Velvet Eyeshadow in Fawn Over Me. Line upper lashes with a waterproof gel liner such as Smashbox Jet Set in Midnight Black, Bobbi Brown Longwear Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink or MAC Fluidline liner in Blacktrack, and extend the outer corners with a little winged flick. (Navy would be a good choice too, a little softer than black, but interesting.)
4) Curl lashes, apply a half-sweep of false lashes, such as MAC 20 Lash half-strips, and bump up the intensity with black mascara, such as CoverGirl LashBlast Volume Blasting Mascara in Very Black.
5) Define brows with Benefit Brow Zings.
6) Put a flush in cheeks with a cream blush such as CoverGirl Simply Ageless Sculpting Blush in Rich Cinnamon or Lush Berry.
7) Dust face very lightly with a super-fine setting powder such as MAC Select Sheer Loose Powder, to add staying power to makeup.
8) Fill lips in with a base of nude lip liner, such as Smashbox Nude Lip Pencil in Fair, and top with a nude-pink gloss, such as Joe Fresh Beauty Lip Gloss in Sheer Pink.
For hair this short, a little hair wax, such as L'OrÃ©al Paris Studio Line Special FX Architect Texturizing Wax, adds control and definition. Apply evenly to damp hair and blowdry while using a paddle brush to smooth hair around the head. Warm a tiny bit more wax between palms and lightly run through hair to add definition, paying extra attention to the bangs.
Pop in a pair of dangling crystal earrings, grab your umbrella (well, if it's raining) and off you go to show folks that you in your own short â€™do are smokin'.