Welcome to my life in fashion. "If I were skinny I would wear that," has always been my immediate in-my-head reaction to seeing something I liked on models, celebrities, and irritatingly slender women. I don't appear to be getting much of a handle on my style envy, so I'll share it instead. And oh please - tell me I'm not alone.
You have no idea how much I want to wear a maxi dress. If I were skinny I would wear that has been sounding in my head on the trend for more than a year, even moreso this summer. Maxi dresses are so pretty with my favourite beauty approach, simple hair, fresh makeup. I love the looks more with loose, undone-esque hair à la Blake Lively.
On the off chance that I might actually try a maxi dress on, I asked my style expert friend Afiya Francisco of TheStyleHouse.ca to give me some fit and accessories tips. Her advice:
1. Choose something that skims rather than clings to your figure
2. Consider an empire waist if you're self-conscious about your stomach
3. If you're under 5'5", avoid a voluminous skirt; choose a more streamlined cut
4. If you're a plus size, look for halter necks or wider straps; spaghetti straps are a no-no
5. Gladiator sandals and oversized sunglasses are ideal to make the maxi dress day-friendly; simple accessories such as a clutch and heels dress it up for evening.
Sleeveless printed maxi dress, BCBGMAXAZRIA.