ABOUT A BEAUTY GEEK
A beauty geek is anyone who loves how feeling good about yourself can make a whole day seem shiny. (Whether or not you accept it, how you think you look is big part of how you feel). I’m a geek about beauty learning — ingredients, how they work, who they work for, how to use them — details. And I’m a geek about bursting into beauty-song with just about anyone, anywhere, anytime. Sheesh.
I’m the first former magazine beauty editor in Canada to have established a beauty blog (award-winning thanks to a P&G Beauty Award for Best Beauty or Fashion Blog, 2009, designation as an Elle Canada Top Beauty Blog, 2010, and a Best Health Blog Award/Look Great, 2011). My more than 10 years on the beauty beat includes seven years as a style editor at Canadian Living and Homemakers mags, a stint as a plus model, and a longtime, successful side gig as a freelance makeup artist with a freshest-looking-you lifestyle approach.
Other fun stuff:
• hitting the TIFF 2011 red carpet as the Official L’Oréal Paris Beauty Correspondant to chat with Jon Hamm, Brian Austin Green and Megan Fox, Freida Pinto, Rachel Weisz, Madonna, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Hugh Dancy, Oliver Platt, Allison Janney and more
• segments as a skin care expert on “The Marilyn Denis Show”
• contributions as Contributing Editor in Canada’s digital and weekly print beauty and fashion magazine The Kit (thekit.ca)
• article bylines in Canadian Living, Homemakers, FASHION magazine, Chatelaine magazine, Metro News, CanadianLiving.com, Homemakers.com, Best Health Magazine, BestHealthMag.ca, Reader’s Digest, Sharp Magazine and glow magazine
• mentions in Best Health Magazine, Canadian Living Magazine, CanadianLiving.com, Chatelaine Magazine, Chatelaine.com, Hello, Canada!, The Toronto Star, National Post, The Globe and Mail, Maclean’s (here and here), The Vancouver Sun, The Edmonton Journal, The Calgary Herald, The Ottawa Citizen, The Montreal Gazette, 24 Hours and The Sun.
• a slot in Shinan Govani’s 2010 Worthy 30 listing in the National Post
• a spot on the short list for a P&G Beauty Award for Best Beauty or Fashion Blog, 2010
While I love a new lipgloss as much as the next girl, really I’m all about solution-oriented beauty for all ages, stuff that delivers glowing skin, glossy hair, foolproof fresh-faced beauty, and compliment-attracting style whether you’re a teen, in your 20s or swingin’ 60. Kind of a geek, see?
Well, you will. *grin*
You can reach me at j9falcon (at) gmail (dot) com, by the way. I’d love to hear from you.
P.S. Yes, just as I did as a magazine beauty editor, I receive samples and services from companies who would like me to evaluate their product and perhaps include mention of them here and in the freelance features I write. I’d not have the breadth of product knowledge and experience for my job without them. But I do not mention items because they are sent or offered to me without charge. I write about and recommend only the items or services I think deliver good results and best suit the audience I’m addressing.
©Beautygeeks (imabeautygeek.com) 2012. All rights reserved.