Omgre. Omgrey. Omgray. Anyway, New Beauty Term. Or Not?

by Janine on 7 May 2014 · 12 comments

Kate Middleton_omgre_grey rootsCatherine, Duchess of Cambridge, probably still more often known as Kate Middleton, was snapped last November rocking a carefree new look we’re calling omgré. Or omgrey. Maybe you’d spell it omgray? (We were taught “grey” is the colour, “gray” is a name, but who knows? *shrug*) Anyway, omgre clearly has its roots in the never-going-away ombre look Giselle made covetable forever ago.

omgre. omgrey. omgray.

Omgre omgrey omgray on the catwalk_rue du mail spring 2010We first learned of the term omgre via our friend Jennifer. She works with one Rachel Cogan who floated the word in reference to having to get one’s roots done to cover grey hair regrowth. The look, although at that time not named omgre (omgrey, omgray??) inspired model hair on the Spring 2010 Rue du Mail runway (above). And, it’s a bit different from mom-grey – that’s grey hair caused by your kids, or so you tell them. Or maybe it’s not so different?

omgre omgrey omgray_sarah jessica parker has never minded showing her rootsSarah Jessica Parker has never minded letting her roots show. If you remember, she made it a thing back in her “Sex and the City” days, a breezy statment that said, there’s no shame in showing we weren’t born blonde. So we wonder whether omgre might eventually take off as an intentionally relaxed look the way ombre has. We know the pressure of keeping up the dye job can be intense, especially if grey or white hair seems to be winning. Omgre acceptance would be such a relief, wouldn’t it?

omgre omgrey omgray Gerard Butler and his grey gray roots looks goodAnd look, Gerard Butler carries the omgre look off really well.

We’d like to think folks aren’t so judgey these days about the root issue, whatever the colour. (Heck, I keep making rumblings about colouring away my own tinsel-lights, but so far can’t be bothered.) Plus, many new moms choose to sacrifice hair colour when they’re expecting and then breastfeeding, as was speculated about Kate Middleton the Duchess of Cambridge.

What do you think? Does omgre have a legit future sans judgement? And please help: omgre? omgrey? omgray?

Tracy@BeautyReflections 7 May 2014 at 5:04 pm

Omgre! I like the term. And people aren’t so judgey anymore you are right about that. When I was growing out my red hair to go grey last year, a lot of people really liked the omgre effect and thought I had dyed it like that on purpose hahaha. If you look at any of my face shots from last year you can see the omgre with the red. I loved it actually and sometimes even miss it. But I like the pink now. :)
It’s great that going grey these days isn’t so frowned upon anymore. Now that I don’t have to dye my hair to touch up my roots every 4 weeks, it’s been so liberating. And CHEAPER too.

Janine 7 May 2014 at 5:12 pm

LIBERATING. That’s the term, isn’t it Tracy? And I remember that look — it was great on you!

I have a brunette young friend who is actually entirely white under her colour. Stresses her out like crazy because she gets what she calls a skunk stripe about 12 days post-colour. GAH! I bet she can rock the white hair with dark tips, actually. Wonder if she will anytime soon?

Did you do a story on your omgre? I’d like to link. xo

Tracy@BeautyReflections 7 May 2014 at 7:00 pm

Sure! Here’s where it started when my hair stylist died:http://beautyreflectionsblog.com/2012/12/18/deep-thoughts-by-tracy-to-dye-or-not-to-dye-that-is-the-question/

and the first time I showed the Omgre on the blog: http://beautyreflectionsblog.com/2013/02/21/smashbox-idolize-me-blush-from-the-love-me-collection-and-an-unveiling-of-sorts/

and then here’s a post/pic where it’s really a lot longer and about 3 months before I cut it: http://beautyreflectionsblog.com/2013/08/05/hourglass-femme-nude-lip-stylo/

I grew it out for one year and it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be! Most of the time I’d wear it in a ponytail, but like I said most people just loved it and thought it was an ombre I did on purpose. Best decision of my life!

Karen Mani-Geek 7 May 2014 at 5:15 pm

I think it should be called OmgreOmgreyOMGRAY and it should be said with excitement every time. Also, increasing volume.

Grey hair is smashing. I love each and every one of my sparkles even if they stick out all over the place. They’re mine, I earned ‘em and I’m keeping them. Bravo for OmgreOmgreyOMGRAY everywhere!

Janine 8 May 2014 at 11:29 pm

Your grey passion is funny, sister. I don’t have that kind of love for my greys. I just don’t care enough to cover them. Different. *grin*

Anne 7 May 2014 at 5:46 pm

Omgray/omgrey?? My auto correct prompted me to enter im grey…..I ‘m having trouble accepting and adjusting to those nasty shiny strands. It feels like my body is telling me that it is getting old and ancient. It would be nice to have a magic wand and make them disappear…..*poof*

Janine 8 May 2014 at 11:27 pm

I totally understand that sentiment, Anne. When my greys first started to show, some 20-year old kid told me I need to colour them so I’d look younger. Eventually I did, a couple of times, via salon expert, and demi-permanent so I wouldn’t get roots. That’s because I know me; it’s not where I choose to spend my money. Plus I have enough to do on a regular basis that one more thing is just too much. But I could wave a wand if one existed.

Sara 7 May 2014 at 6:19 pm

What I don’t like about the greys is the texture of them they are wiry and flyway and I hate that (granted I am only in my early thirties). I would rather white than grey.

Janine 8 May 2014 at 11:28 pm

Agree with you there, Sara. Grey hair, why you gotta be like dat??

Naddy 10 May 2014 at 7:29 pm

Heh, I’ve been omgrey for years… hip and didn’t even know it!

Michelle | MyWonders❤MesMerveilles 15 May 2014 at 12:45 am

I’m wondering if they just forget or didn’t had time to go to their hair stylist XD !

Xoxo

Shelley 15 May 2014 at 9:24 pm

OMG, I am so effing glad to learn that I am TRENDY and not just LAZY.

Maybe this is strangely tied into that pastel hair-dye trend that’s been on for a while yet – the lavender or blue colour choice…

I like it. I think it takes a lot of confidence, has that kind of beachy insouciance. Some day I hope to have enough. (Confidence, that is. I’ve already got more than enough in the grey dept. Also, I vote for omgre, which is kind of understated – like the look.)