Essie Summer 2014 Swatches and Comparisons: 2 Hearts + 1 Gimme That

by Karen Falcon on 5 May 2014 · 26 comments

Essie Summer 2014Essie summer 2014 Haute in the Heat is coming and I’m already a fan. I don’t want to spoil it for you so I haven’t got any swatches or comparisons or any of that stuff. Okay, maybe I do.

essie summer 2014 = 2 hearts + 1 gimmie that

Essie Urban Jungle Essie Summer 2014essie summer 2014 urban jungle

Essie Urban Jungle Swatch Essie Summer 2014essie urban jungle  It’s the first one I swatched. I pulled out the wand and immediately wrote in my notes, “Oh crap. Crème. Ugh”. It didn’t turn out that way though! That’s two coats with a good level and a lovely shiny finish.

Essie Fierce No Fear Essie Summer 2014essie summer 2014 fierce no fear  Summer? What? Where? I more than likely could have done this as a OCW but I didn’t. The level in there is fantastic, and the shine is, well, shiny. It’s so shiny that maybe if I add summa this…

Essie Fierce No Fear Matte Top Coatessie fierce no fear w/ matte about you top coat  Kinda makes me want to eat chocolate. Really a lot of chocolate. Because of that whole chocolate thing and even though I don’t know what this is doing in a summer collection, when I slap the Matte About You coat on there, I love it. It scores a heart.

Essie Roarrrrange Summer 2014essie summer 2014 roarrrrange (that’s 4 r’s in the middle in case you’re counting)  In two easy coats, the colour turns out a touch darker than in the bottle but it also turns out more, uh, juicier too.

Essie Roarrrrange Swatch Essie Summer 2014essie roarrrange

Essie Strut Your Stuff Essie Summer 2014essie summer 2014 strut your stuff   My notes for this just say Gimmie That.

Essie Strut Your Stuff Matte Top Coatessie strut your stuff w/ matte about you top coat  Although I DO love me some matte coat, I think I prefer Strut Your Stuff without it. You?

Essie Ruffles & Feathers Summer 2014essie summer 2014 ruffles & feathers  In my swatch order, this one was fourth and right around this time, I noted this collection is made up of pretty good formulas.

Essie Ruffles & Feather swatch Essie Summer 2014essie ruffles & feathers  Two easy coats.

Essie Haute in the Heat Swatch Essie Summer 2014essie summer 2014 haute in the heat  I did two coats but I’m betting I could have gotten away with one normal coat. I’m a skim-coater so if I’d just put a tiny bit extra on my brush, this would’ve been an OCW!

Essie Haute in the Heat Essie Summer 2014essie haute in the heat

Essie Haute in the Heat matte top coat Essie summer 2014essie haute in the heat w/ matte about you top coat  Now normally, I don’t believe in matte reds so I’m not sure what came over me. I tried it. I like it. I give it a heart. In fact, I heart it so much, I think I’ll…

Essie Summer 2014 Nail Artessie summer 2014 super-complicated nail art stylin  Yes. I have mad skillz. I know.

Essie Summer 2014 Comparison Swatchesessie summer 2014 comparison swatches  I figured you’d like to see what you may or may not need to pick up after digging through your own collection of essie polishes.

Essie Summer 2014 notes p1essie summer 2014 notes page 1

Essie Summer 2014 Notes p2essie summer 2014 notes page 2

So now you’ve even seen the notes – the notes don’t lie. Whatcha gonna get? Huh?

Oh! Oh! I just looked at my notes because they’re right there and I have a note for Fierce no Fear: shake that bottle but good, people – there’s a bunch of black in there that needs an even distribution before you start painting, okay?

For Kelsey: Comparison Swatch of Essie Ruffles & Feathers vs Deborah Lippman She Drives Me Crazy
Essie Ruffles Feathers comparison swatchEssie Ruffles & Feathers vs Deborah Lippmann She Drives Me Crazy: So close. So very close…

Essie Summer 2014 ($9.99 CAD) — aka Essie Haute in the Heat — officially hits stores June 3rd, 2014. Essie Matte About You is coming to mass market in August. If you’re in the US, I’ve heard rumblings about Essie Summer 2014 Haute in the Heat being found on grocery store shelves already so keep your eyes peeled and you might get lucky.

For more information on the whack of Essie releases so far this year (you can find our swatches of Essie Neon 2014 here, and our Essie Bridal here), visit essie.com.

Manicures and photographs by Karen Falcon (she’s still craving chocolate) ©2014 BEAUTYGEEKS/imabeautygeek.com

Essie Summer 2014 Swatches and Comparisons: 2 Hearts + 1 Gimme That - Beauty Tips Around The World | Beauty Tips Around The World
5 May 2014 at 8:49 pm
Gettin’ Haute in the Heat with Essie Summer 2014 | The Silver Nail
10 May 2014 at 2:29 pm
Sommerneglelakker 2014: Essie “Haute in the heat” | ~SerendipityCat~
13 June 2014 at 10:31 am

talkerblogger 5 May 2014 at 8:55 pm

Hi Janine ! Great swatches (as usual) .. You are right about these being close to existing colors maybe even dupes .. I have noticed (correct me plz if I am wrong ) but Essie Collections always have the namesake polish having the best formula .. Rest of them are usually just alright .. The Hide & Go Chic was a major one !

Janine 5 May 2014 at 9:03 pm

Hi T!

I really can’t comment; I agree about the great swatches, but this isn’t my work! It’s our Mani-Geek, Karen — she knows everything about polish. :-)

talkerblogger 5 May 2014 at 9:29 pm

Got it … ! I am going to swatch the Maybelline color elixir tonight .. I find them lighter on lips than the extraordinaire .. Did you like them ?

Janine 5 May 2014 at 9:41 pm

I like them both, but Extraordinaire has a slight edge for me, T. That’s because I like to dab gloss on my cheeks as blush. #timesaver #dewyfinish. Extraordinaire is a bit less sticky, so it’s a bit more cheek friendly. I think the line may also have slightly more pigment than Color Elixir.

talkerblogger 5 May 2014 at 9:48 pm

You are right about extraordinaire a being more pigmented .. They even last longer !! I never tried using them as cheek tints though ..

Janine 5 May 2014 at 10:01 pm

Try! Just a dab or two, blend, and there you are, all fresh and dewy cheeked. I tend to prefer brighter hues; they work nicely as blush. Here’s the post on my favourite shades.

Raincouver Girl 5 May 2014 at 9:21 pm

Haha I love the name “roarrrange”! The only one that sticks out to me are fierce no fear though. I love the look of strut your stuff, but I think I have enough similar blues!

Karen Mani-Geek 5 May 2014 at 10:23 pm

It’s the BEST name, Rain! Every time I had to type it out, I was hollerin’ RoaRRRange.

On the whole, it’s a pretty dupe-tastical collection. For this post, I only compared to other Essies but I’ve got a Quo by Orly supa-dupe for Fierce No Fear – s’called Coffee & Cream.

Raincouver Girl 6 May 2014 at 1:26 am

Thanks for the info! I’ll check it out if I happen to miss this collection :)

talkerblogger 5 May 2014 at 10:06 pm

I just did and it looks so fresh !! I always feared the gloss would feel sticky, once blended, it feels great :)

Janine 5 May 2014 at 11:37 pm

Told ya!

Some glosses are stickier than others, but it usually doesn’t bother me. I like the look and the time-save.

Talkerblogger 6 May 2014 at 8:00 am

I listened to you and tried the gloss on cheeks .. And I am quite pleased .., you have a way of making me accecpted makeup like I usually never did ..thanks Janine :)

Anneli 5 May 2014 at 10:33 pm

I love Urban Jungle and Strut Your Stuff! This is great because I’ve really been loving the Essie polishes and was just at Shopper’s here in Vancouver trying to decide on a few spring summer colours. I’ve been wearing a lot of blue lately for whatever reason… I think I’ll have to get more though.

Just found your blog and I love it!

Karen Mani-Geek 5 May 2014 at 11:05 pm

Shoppers is my polish crack store. I try to restrain myself from wandering their polish department but then I tell myself “I HAVE to look, it’s for work!”

Essie is on sale here in Toronto at SDM this week but this collection won’t be available there for a bit. Sad, but true. On the other hand, Essie does have some lovely, lovely shades of blue… maybe I should stop in and take a peek?

Many thanks for the compliment, Anneli!

Melody 6 May 2014 at 6:27 am

Mmmmmmm, chocolate! Good thing I don’t bite my nails. I do love Haute in the Heat. Is it a pinky red colour? It looks like it might be.

Karen Mani-Geek 6 May 2014 at 8:47 am

It totally is, Melody! I’m glad my colours came out right on your screen – that’s probably the MOST difficult thing to do over here in Geek-Land.

Haute in the Heat is awfully similar to Style Hunter – it has a little bit more blue in it and, from arm’s distance (the way I like to shoot because that’s really how I look at polish anyhow), it’s so similar I wouldn’t buy one if I already had the other. Dupe? Not exactly. Similar? Absolutely.

Melody 7 May 2014 at 6:35 am

I used to have a hot pink red nail colour from Jessica that I have not seen in any line – yet. It was very bright and could be worn with either pink or red and it matched. I’ll have to pick this one up. :)

Jess 6 May 2014 at 11:21 am

They’re nice colors but the only one I’m considering picking up is Urban Jungle. It seems like I have a ton of blues and greens from Essie already. They release new ones in every collection now. I really wish they’d do a decent yellow though.

Karen Mani-Geek 6 May 2014 at 11:34 am

Essie and yellow… hmm… I have maybe 50 or 60 shades of Essie left since the big cull but not a single yellow in the bunch. Now I wonder if I’ve ever owned an Essie yellow. When I think about it, I don’t believe I’ve ever even had one!

My bestest-ever-in-history yellow is Nars Amchoor. I’ll never give that one up. Ever. You gotta fave yellow, Jess? Now I’m curious!

Lou 6 May 2014 at 12:29 pm

roarrrange all the way… wow

Kelsey 9 May 2014 at 12:34 pm

Do you have Deborah Lippmann She Drives Me Crazy? How do you think it compares to Ruffles & Feathers? Thanks!

Karen Mani-Geek 9 May 2014 at 1:16 pm

Kelsey!
I do!
And I made you a picture – it’s up there at the bottom of the post. You have a very good eye, lady. On the Dupe-Dupe Scale, that’s maybe a 98.5%.

Kelsey 9 May 2014 at 8:57 pm

Thank you so much! I was hoping a comparison swatch would help me choose one of the two but now I want both. Oops haha. Thanks again!