Sweet Colour: Butter London Makeup

by Janine on 21 January 2014 · 14 comments

Butter London makeupHow many beauty brands do you know that started with nail polish then expanded into colour cosmetics? Surely there’s more than just Butter London? Yes? While you bend your brain thinking about that, I’ll just give you a rundown on the Butter London makeup I’ve popped into my personal kit.

At the moment, Butter London makeup is about colour cosmetics. No foundation or concealer or powder, but yes to colour-happy cream eye shadows, eye pencils and mascara; liquid lipstick, lip gloss and tinted lip balm; and cream blush. I got into a blush and some lip stuff.

Butter London Cheeky Cream Blush in Pistol PinkButter London Cheeky Cream Blush in Bristol Pink ($23 at butterlondon.ca) If you have oily skin, you’ll like this blush. It’s a drier texture than you’d expect from a cream formula. If you have a dry complexion, apply it to freshly moisturized skin. The finish is sheer and super pretty, and it stays on nicely.

Butter London Lippy Tinted Balm in Black CherryButter London Lippy Tinted Balm in Black Cherry ($22 at butterlondon.ca) All the lip formulas from Butter London have a sweet, butter-cream scent you can smell as soon as you take off the cap to apply.

Butter London Lippy Tinted Balm Black Cherry swatchButter London Lippy Tinted Balm feels like lip balm. That’s not a bad thing; just don’t expect a soft, cream lipstick texture. It’s just a smidge waxy, demi-sheer, and has a soft-shine finish. I really like it as blush! Black Cherry on cheeks results in that intensely romantic windburn flush that works so well with deep berry (okay, Black Cherry) lips, barely any eye makeup and tousled hair. Beautiful.

Butter London Lippy Lip Gloss in Queen Vic and La MossButter London Lippy Lip Gloss ($19 at butterlondon.ca) Maybe it’s because I’ve been all about lipstick for Lipstick Diary posts for the last several years, but I didn’t expect to like the Butter London Lippy Lip Gloss as much as I do. Frankly, the colour got me. And it got me enough that I put up with the even-more-intense butter-cream scent. (When I applied one of the glosses in a restaurant, the person sitting across from me could smell it).

Butter London makeup_Butter London Lippy Lip Gloss_Queen VicButter London Lippy Lip Gloss in Queen Vic ($19 at butterlondon.ca) Amazing blue-based bright pink shade, right? Sticky-ish formula, but that means it stays on for a good long time. It’s a favourite.

Butter London makeup_Butter London Lippy Lip Gloss_La MossButter London Lippy Lip Gloss in La Moss ($19 at butterlondon.ca) Adore. A wearable deep berry that gets compliments (I know from experience).

So. Beauty brands that started with nail polish then moved into makeup. Here’s one: Revlon. Charles Revson started with nail enamel, then launched corresponding lipstick so women could match lips to tips properly.

Have you tried any Butter London makeup items yet? Do you think you might?

Natasha 21 January 2014 at 8:14 pm

Queen Vic! Wowza!

Janine 22 January 2014 at 6:28 pm

Just putting on makes me so happy! Great colour payoff.

Anya 22 January 2014 at 12:55 am

Tinted balm looks very promising, and I’m always down with cream blush.

Revlon started with nail enamel, no?

Janine 22 January 2014 at 7:24 am

Yep, that’s right Anya – says so at the end of the post :-)

Anya 22 January 2014 at 1:04 pm

Help me, I can’t read!

Janine 22 January 2014 at 4:46 pm

Hah ha! No, no — I buried the answer. *grin*

Gauri 22 January 2014 at 5:22 am

Great tinted balm. I ♥ the result! :)

Janine 22 January 2014 at 6:33 pm

I like it better on my cheeks than on my lips *grin*

Elise 22 January 2014 at 10:48 am

I was able to preview a bunch of shades from this collection when it premiered, and I gotta say their eyeliner pencils are one of the best out there! Right up there with Urban Decay, if that’s the kind of texture and application you like. The mascara was a big miss for me, though.

As for nail polish brands that have done colo(u)r cosmetics – there is also Deborah Lippmann? She doesn’t have a full line, but she has a nicely edited selection of lipsticks and gloss designed to match some of her classic red and pink lacquer shades. And I want to say that OPI had a less-than-successful attempt at lip color as well, but I could be imagining that. Too lazy to Google!

Janine 22 January 2014 at 4:55 pm

I haven’t yet tried the pencil, actually! I’ll do that tomorrow; I love UD pencils. Thanks, Elise!

Yes, that’s right — Lippman has lipsticks too! I’m not sure they’re available in Canada, at least not at Murale… I have to check that.

Mascara Mom 22 January 2014 at 1:21 pm

:) this is what you meant there would be other goodies to entice me till March? You were right…the lip balms and cream blush are calling out to me…any idea when and what stores they would hit?

Janine 22 January 2014 at 4:50 pm

Partly — I have lots of other stuff to show you, too. *grin*

Not certain re: retailers, actually. Various independents carry Butter London polish, but may not yet carry the full cosmetics line. As far as I know, the easiest access is the website, butterlondon.ca. A retailer that has tester samples would be helpful though; lemme check. xo

Melody 22 January 2014 at 2:30 pm

The lip glosses are gorgeous, especially Queen vic. Wow! Nothing says “spring” to me like that shade of pink.

Janine 22 January 2014 at 4:50 pm

I adore that Queen Vic. It makes me so happy!