OPI Brazil: Complete Spring 2014 Brazil by OPI Collection Swatches, First Look

by Karen Falcon on 15 January 2014 · 35 comments

OPI Brazil Wheel_OPI Spring 2014Woo hoo!!! OPI Brazil spring/summer 2014 is so very close! I’m celebrating the impending arrival with a happy dance because some of these shades make me smile in a big way. It’s one of those giant 12 shade releases (plus the four OPI Brazil Beach Sandies) so how ’bout we just hop right in and take a look?

spring 2014 opi brazil collection swatches

OPI Brazil_OPI Next Stop Bikini Zone_OPI Spring 2014_1 OPI Brazil_OPI Next Stop Bikini Zone_OPI Spring 2014_2OPI Brazil Next Stop…The Bikini Zone ($10.95 at salons) I love a duochrome! In some light it’s rather complex, and in others it’s so subtle that the shift almost seems non-existent. It’s a tough one to shoot, that’s for sure. It goes from a light lilac to a shimmery gold, and it goes right in my basket next to all my other pretty duochromes that I might or might not be hoarding.

OPI Brazil_OPI Dont Bossa Nova Me Around_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil Don’t Bossa Nova Me Around ($10.95 at salons)

OPI Brazil_OPI Taupe-Less Beach_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil Taupe-Less Beach ($10.95 at salons)

OPI Brazil_I Sao Paulo Over There_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil I Sao Paulo Over There ($10.95 at salons)

OPI Brazil_OPI Scores A Goal_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil OPI Scores a Goal ($10.95 at salons)

OPI Brazil_OPI Amazon Amazoff_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil Amazon…Amazoff ($10.95 at salons) People are gonna be all kinds of attracted to this shade and they should be. It’s a perfect shade of deep teal and I think that maybe I’ll just wear mine right now because I can. Don’t hate.

OPI Brazil_I Just Cant Cope-Acabana_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil I Just Can’t Cope-Acabana ($10.95 at salons) Ermahgerd I lurve it! What else can I say about it ’cept I lurve it? I do. And, I don’t have a yellow crème anywhere in my house so for me, it’s a brand new colour to add to the hoard. Yay!

OPI Brazil_OPI Where Did Suzis Man-Go_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil Where Did Suzi’s Man-go? ($10.95 at salons) It is my belief that people are gonna go nuts for this shade. I don’t think of it as mango as much as I think of it as… Creamsicle! Ooooh. Aaaah. Gimmie That.

OPI Brazil_OPI Toucan Do It If You Try_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil Toucan Do It If You Try ($10.95 at salons)

OPI Brazil_Kiss Me I'm Brazilian_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil Kiss Me I’m Brazilian ($10.95 at salons)

OPI Brazil_OPI Live Love Carnaval_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil Live.Love.Carnaval ($10.95 at salons)

OPI Brazil_OPI Red Hot Rio_OPI Spring 2014OPI Brazil Red Hot Rio ($10.95 at salons)

It’s all so Brazil and it’s all so rainforest and beaches, right? There are a few things we should talk about though. I can’t let you walk away without telling you how I feel about the polishes and the how they were to use.

opi brazil what’s up

Most of this Brazil by OPI collection is comprised of crème polishes. That means there’s lots of white stuffed in those bottles, and for me, it also means tricky to apply. I have trouble with the consistency of crème polish and always end up doing two rather thick coats so I can get the self-level to do its job properly. I’m not ashamed to admit that several of the fingers I just showed you had to be done multiple times so I could get good clean lines at the cuticles and even coats. I’m also not afraid to tell you that this was probably one of the hardest times I’ve ever had swatching an entire collection. When I got to Amazon…Amazoff, it was such a treat I almost cried. That jelly teal was a pleasure to apply (and it helps that I’m in love with the colour) as was Red Hot Rio.

In addition to Amazon…Amazoff, standout shades include I Just Can’t Cope-Acabana and Where Did Suzi’s Man-go?. I do quite like the look of crème polishes; maybe if I hadn’t used nine of them in a row, I could be more enthusiastic about the OPI Brazil collection as a whole.

OPI Brazil Beach Sandies_OPI Spring 2014That said, the Beach Sandies Liquid Sand I swatched a coupla days ago totally made up for my struggles with crème. I adore its sparkly sandy-ness.

And hey! If you’re wondering if something you have might be a dupe for something you see here, ask in the comment section and if I have the specific shades in my possession, I’ll see what I can do for ya.

Brazil by OPI will be available in both nail lacquer ($10.95 each) and GelColor (in-salon professional service only) formulas beginning February 5, 2014.

Manicures ’n photos by Karen Falcon (today she finally had that Egg McMuffin she’s been thinking about for months) ©2014 BEAUTYGEEKS/imabeautygeek.com. [Apparently, an Egg McMuffin = 290 calories -- ed. note.]

OPI Brazil Liquid Sand: First OPI Brazil Beach Sandies Swatches - BEAUTYGEEKS
18 February 2014 at 9:53 am
OPI Comparison Swatches and Dupes: OPI Brazil Collection - BeautyGeeks
2 March 2014 at 5:16 pm
Tragebilder Brazil by OPI | Innen und Aussen
9 April 2014 at 4:30 am

Lou 15 January 2014 at 3:13 pm

Goodness, these are all STUNNING! And I want then all. And the Beach Sandies *grabby hands*

Janine 16 January 2014 at 12:48 am

Those are my favourites too, Lou. Am digging the brighter shades in this collection though. Cheery!

Quookie 16 January 2014 at 2:40 am

I’ve never wanted to buy an entire collection before now. (Except for the sands — I just cannot do textured polish. Just can’t.) Being Latina, I love/ collect/ hoard nail polish with Latin/ Hispanic names. This couldn’t be more fun for me! I did think at first glance that pink was named “Kiss MY Brazillian!” Hey-yo! Kiss ME. Got it.

Do you think “Next Stop…The Bikini Zone” is similar to “Peace Love OPI?”

Your swatches are gorgeous BTW!

Karen Mani-Geek 16 January 2014 at 7:00 am

Hahahaaa!! MY Brazilian! Hahahaa!!

I never thought of collecting by name – it must make for a very interesting collection! Do you by chance have a Pinterest account where you’ve got your hoard out there for people to see? If so, I’d love to see it!

In answer to your question, Quookie, I’ll start a wheel for you! Watch for your quick comparison within the next couple of days. We’re going to look at it and compare – there will be pictures.

And aw, shucks, thanks for the compliment – much appreciated!

Quookie 16 January 2014 at 8:10 pm

I don’t have any pictures of my modest stash. I should try, it might be fun. Seriously your pictures *do not* help. I just love everything about them. Whatever you do professionally (if this isn’t it– it should be) you must be good.

Kathryn 16 January 2014 at 4:53 pm

I think I might die if I don’t get Next Stop… The Bikini Zone! The moment I saw that color I knew I had to have it.

Karen Mani-Geek 16 January 2014 at 6:13 pm

I approve!

Montréalaise 19 January 2014 at 7:38 pm

Unless I’m mistaken, Don’t Bossa Nova Me Around is very similar to My Very First Knackwurst, and Taupe-less Beach looks a lot like Berlin There, Done That (both of them from OPI’s Germany Collection from fall 2012 and yes, I have both!).

Claudia 20 January 2014 at 7:56 pm

So, I am a die hard OPI fan. Having moved from Canada to Australia I went from buying OPI at $4/bottle to anywhere from $12-20/bottle. When I saw the Gwen Stefani collection, I fell in love with the pink and red. So, after seeing numerous swatches and being told that the people had no dupes in their OPI collection, I ordered them and had them shipped from the States.
I was extremely disappointed when I found that I had 4 shades of OPI pink similar to Hey Baby, 1 being a total dupe. With Over and Over A-Gwen I found 2 similar OPI polishes with 1 exact dupe. Both of these dupes part of the regular lineup of polishes.
I’m not sure how extensive your OPI collection is but in your opinion do you notice any almost identical shades to the following:
Red Hot Rio
Live.Love.Carnaval
Toucan do it if you try and
Amazon….Amazoff

I appreciate any input you can provide. I’d go ahead and order those four but with international shipping costs or even buying them instore being disappointed is not something I want to experience again.

Thanks!

Karen Mani-Geek 20 January 2014 at 9:57 pm

Oh no, Claudia!

I wish you’d known about our blog before you ordered – I did a Gwen post in early December (a couple weeks before that collection launched) and it had the comparison swatches built right in there. Noooo! You woulda saved a bunch!

I see your request re: OPI Brazil and I’m on it! I don’t have an extensive collection of OPI polishes because I just can’t keep everything but I’m pretty sure I can find something (hopefully OPI) that’ll get you pretty close.

Do you have the same big brands in the drugstores there as we do here? Revlon and Sally Hansen, Essie, Nicole by OPI and such?

As of now, for absolutely sure, you don’t need Red Hot Rio – it’s a poppy red dupe for every other poppy red dupe. If you got Over & Over A-Gwen, you don’t need Red Hot Rio.

Give me a couple days to check my hoard for the others and I’ll get back to you! I love this kind of challenge! Wheeeee!!!!

Samantha 21 January 2014 at 1:08 am

Claudia, I feel your pain :) I live in Aus as well and the only way I can get nail polishes for a reasonable-ish price is off ozsale or brands exclusive. Karen, we have the drugstore brands, but they’re still over $10 a bottle and we don’t get as many colours or they’re extremely hard to find. and as a student I don’t have enough money for anything else, and it is extremely frustrating buying a polish that you read doesn’t have a dupe only to find you’ve got a colour similar enough to it when it arrives at your door. Hopefully the prices go down at least a little one day! I think I’m going to have to save up for when I go to Canada one day :D

Karen Mani-Geek 21 January 2014 at 3:07 pm

My Australian Friends, Claudia & Samantha,

Based on my current hoard of polish (which only numbers around 500 because I got rid of about 1/2 of it recently), I am unable to match Live.Love.Carnaval, Toucan Do It If You Try, and Amazon Amazoff to any of my existing OPI polishes.

Digging through, I did find that Amazon Amazoff has a near twin in Vert D’Orient 36 from YSL La Laque Couture but that goes for $27 here so I can’t imagine the price there.

I do have a dupe for Live.Love.Carnaval and it’s an Essence Cosmetics polish called Off To Miami! I don’t know if you can find Essence Cosmetics in Australia but here it cost me a whopping $1.99 (yes, $1.99)

Then, looking for an exact match for Toucan Do It If You Try becomes problematic simply because, believe it or not, Live.Love.Carnaval and Toucan Do it are actually similar shades. They look rather different in the bottles but once you get them out there onto the wheel, they’re so similar that I’d say you don’t actually need to have both.

If you scroll up to the very top of the post, and compare #9 and #11 of the opening image, you’ll see those two shades aren’t much different. A tiny bit different yes but to me, not different enough to warrant buying both. (I also added a larger photo of the OPI Brazil colour wheel to Pinterest for you:
that has the names added on – might be easier to see)

If you’re really on the hunt for the OPI dupes, don’t rush – there are lots of people still to do their previews and reviews. If you wait for a few weeks until the collection becomes widely available, I’m sure someone somewhere will find a dupe that you’ll be able to get there for less.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help – good luck in your quest, ladies!

Ashley 24 January 2014 at 10:28 pm

I am also from Australia. I love Essence nail polishes. They are such good quality and a bargain at $2.75. They are sold at Pricelne. I bought ‘off to miami!’ the other day and it is gorgeous! Where do you other Aussie girls buy OPI from? I dont want to pay $19.95 at Myer, David Jones, etc.

Karen Mani-Geek 25 January 2014 at 7:54 am

Yay, for Essence! I’m SO glad you can get them – they’re some of my favourites AND, they have some new shades launching pretty soon. Keep a look-out for ‘em – they’re coming!

Kas 26 January 2014 at 7:01 am

I love how Next Stop…The Bikini Zone looks, but the rest seem kind of meh :/ A tad unoriginal.

Charlotte 26 January 2014 at 12:33 pm

My surname…no word of a lie…is Cope so guess what colour I want…and yepp, I love Yellow…perfect…xx

Karen Mani-Geek 26 January 2014 at 12:35 pm

I approve with both thumbs up!

María del Carmen 30 January 2014 at 12:23 am

Hello I want to know how similar are Opi Sao Paulo over there and Zoya Normani. Thank you

Karen Mani-Geek 30 January 2014 at 2:05 am

Hi Maria,

Unfortunately I don’t have much Zoya in my collection of polish because it’s not really widely available here in Canada. I can’t compare them for you but just looking at images online, I’d say they’re pretty similar. Sorry I can’t be of more help on that one!

Keyonna Baierwalter 8 February 2014 at 8:39 am

Question,

I have tried the liquid sand as produced by China Glaze and I had a major problem with the polish looking dingy and dirty after 2-3 days because it picked up so much stuff with the rough texture. Did you find this to be a problem? Do you have any recommendations on how to fix that, other than obviously washing your hands, which I do frequently, but I found that what was in my nails was more embedded into the texture. I haven’t used a liquid sand since then :-( But I like the trend and I want to like the polishes. Love your swatches! I am wearing Next Stop…Bikini Zone on my fingers and toes right now. I only did 2 coats, but I’m realizing now that I probably should have done 3 coats instead.

Karen Mani-Geek 8 February 2014 at 10:47 am

Hallo, Keyonna!

I haven’t used any China Glaze textured product so haven’t experienced the problems you’ve had with stuff sticking in it. I have worn tonnes of OPI Liquid Sand though and can tell you that doesn’t happen. I’ve also worn the L’Oreal version, the Nicole by OPI version, the GOSH version, and probably one or two others that I’ve forgotten. I have worn Essie Belugaria though and holy toledo does stuff ever get stuck in that one. Perhaps it depends on the size of chunks in the texture and the China Glaze you’re using has big chunks?

I don’t get much more than 2 or 3 days wear from any of the textured polishes I’ve tried simply because they wear away at the tips and not because of them picking up lint or dirt.

BUT, did you know you can topcoat it? Yep, you can. Top coat brings out whatever sparkle is in there and makes them shiny. Maybe try that if you’ve fallen in love with your China Glaze?

The brands I’ve mentioned above all make a superb textured product that I love because they’re so incredibly easy to use and quick to dry. Oh! Zoya makes Pixie Dust – that’s another good one to try. I recently had opportunity to pick up a bottle for $3 on sale and I understand why people are in love with it. The texture is a little finer than OPI and the shades are highly pigmented too.

I’m wicked glad you’re wearing something from the OPI Brazil collection! Next Stop is one of my favourites – 3 coats is good – you can also using one coat of a solid that matches any of the shades in the Next Stop and then doing 2 coats of Next Stop over your solid base – that’ll make the duochrome really pop.

Thanks for your kind compliments & happy polishing!

karen 22 February 2014 at 1:38 pm

Lovely swatches, as always! I would love to see some comparisons, any brands, for Taupe-less Beach and Amazon…Amazoff. I already have quite a few grey-ish taupey neutrals and even more teals so any comparisons would be very helpful :-)

karen 22 February 2014 at 3:49 pm

oh, and I almost forgot… Live love carnaval looks gorgeous too! But I need another coral like I need a hole in the head ;-) wonder if you have any corals to compare it with? Thanks!

Karen Mani-Geek 22 February 2014 at 3:58 pm

Hiya Karen!
Thanks for the compliments. I see your requests and I’m on it. Gimmie a coupla days and I’ll see what I can dig up. I won’t forget!

Karen Mani-Geek 2 March 2014 at 5:20 pm
Angie 11 March 2014 at 3:20 pm

Beautiful swatches! How does Red Hot Rio compare to Big Apple Red?

Karen Mani-Geek 11 March 2014 at 3:28 pm

Thanks Angie!

Um, I no longer have a bottle of OPI Big Apple Red to do a comparison swatch for you but if memory serves, it’s awfully similar. All these OPI poppy reds are pretty much the same same-ness.

Angie 11 March 2014 at 4:55 pm