Essie Resort 2014: Essie Resort Fling First Swatches & Comparison Swatches

by Karen Falcon on 30 December 2013 · 26 comments

Essie Resort 2014_Essie Resort Fling swatchesIt’s minus cold outside a-freakin’-gain, so for a little warm up how about a good look at the Essie Resort 2014 collection that launches in February 2014? Yes, we’re a little bit ahead of the release but a peek at the first Essie Resort Fling swatches (and comparison swatches) gives us something to look forward to, right? Let’s get on that right now!

essie resort 2014: resort fling

Essie Resort 2014 Essie Resort Fling Find Me An OasisEssie Find Me An Oasis It’s my favourite shade from the Essie Resort 2014 collection but it’s also my least favourite polish. Anything with this much white in it is always a nightmare to apply. You’ll find successive coats tend to drag up the coat underneath so you’ll more than likely end up doing 3 or 4 coats to get an even finish (I had to do four to get to what I’ve shown you here).

Essie Resort 2014 Essie Resort Fling Find Me An Oasis_2After painting each nail, I stick the brush back in the bottle, close it up, and give it a shake to evenly distribute the polish on the brush for the next coat. It’s a challenge to apply but the colour reward is an absolutely beautiful ice blue.

Essie Resort 2014 Essie Resort FlingEssie Resort Fling It’s peachy in an orangey-corally sort of way as opposed to peachy in salmony sort of way. I almost want to call it a pastel but it’s really more of a crème coral.

Essie Resort 2014 Essie Resort Fling_2The polish itself is fairly translucent so you’ll need 3 good coats to get the kind of opacity I’ve shown. It makes me wish for summer. Or a resort. And maybe even a fling.

Essie Resort 2014 Essie Resort Fling Cocktails and CocoEssie Cocktails & Coco Essie calls this “subtle, shimmering warm sand,” and it is. It’s not the best kind of beige for my skin-tone but I can’t help liking it.

Essie Resort 2014 Resort Fling Cocktails and Coco_2It’s probably on account of that nearly invisible shimmer – it brings a level of warmth to this neutral that otherwise wouldn’t be there.

Essie Resort 2014 Essie Resort Fling Essie Cocktails and Coco Comparison SwatchesEssie Cocktails & Coco comparison swatches. See how that the Cocktails and Coco looks a little more golden than the others? It’s a touch warmer than your average beige, right? I’m not just seeing things?

Essie Resort 2014_Essie Resort Fling Under the TwilightEssie Under the Twilight (or as my label says, Under the Twlight) Ha! I did a double take when I saw my label – thought maybe I hadda clean my glasses but nope – that’s what mine says!

Essie Resort 2014_Essie Resort Fling_Under the Twilight Comparison WheelEssie Under the Twilight comparison swatches.

Okay back to Essie Under the Twilight. This polish goes on the best out of all four. Maybe it’s because I’m generally more careful with darker shades or maybe it’s because it’s not loaded with white that I found it incredibly easy to apply. If not for the little fuzzy I got stuck in it on my middle finger (if you have a keen eye, you can prolly spot it), I could actually have done this in one generous coat. That’s right, OCW!!!*

Essie Resort 2014 Essie Resort Fling Essie Under the Twilight_2I do love a blackened purple and this dark crème plum is no exception. I love it even more when I bring out my new best friend for a little playdate…

Essie Resort 2014_Essie Resort Fling_Essie Under the Twilight w Dior PerleEssie Under the Twilight + Dior Perlé 187 Cue super-intelligent Oooooh/Aaaah noises, please.

Essie Resort 2014_Essie Resort Fling_Essie Under the Twilight w Dior Perle_2GimmieGimmieGimmie!

So, feeling like you gotta Resort to Essie in 2014? (Yes, terrible pun. Really bad, I know). Anything in the Resort Fling set going on your Wannit List?

Word is the Essie Resort 2014 international launch date is set anywhere from February 1, 2014 thru March 2014.

Essie Spring 2014 will follow soon after, natch.

Manis ’n photos by Karen Falcon (she now knows potato chips and typing do NOT go well together) ©2013 BEAUTYGEEKS/imabeautygeek.com. *OCW!!! = one coat wonder.

Essie Resort 2014: Resort Fling Collection - BeautyGeeks
30 December 2013 at 4:38 pm
Essie Resort Collection Spring 2014 | talkerblogger
31 December 2013 at 9:44 am
Nagellack - Seite 715
5 January 2014 at 11:46 am
Essie Spring 2014 Resort Fling Collection | All in the Blush
9 January 2014 at 10:32 am
Essie Spring 2014: Essie Hide & Go Chic Sneak Peek + Flare or Flare? - BeautyGeeks
13 January 2014 at 2:05 am
The Lust List: transformative beauty | leopard is a neutral
17 January 2014 at 10:37 am
Vårneglelakk 2014: Essie “Resort Fling” og “Hide & Go Chic” | ~SerendipityCat~
1 February 2014 at 8:30 am
Essie Spring 2014 Hide & Go Chic Swatches, Canada --BEAUTYGEEKS
7 March 2014 at 5:07 pm

Jenn @ Scarlet Beauty 30 December 2013 at 5:03 pm

Somehow I’m most drawn to Under the Twilight even though I probably have something similar. I do love me a dark purple creme though.

Janet 30 December 2013 at 5:09 pm

such a combination: writer, painter, artist with pretty digits too.
that’s a fun blog!

Catherine Dream 30 December 2013 at 5:30 pm

Oh wow, that Twilight & Dior combo is something special….

Desirée 30 December 2013 at 8:26 pm

Quick tip for getting less streaky light colours…. paint a coat of matte top coat in between. I like white nails, but I hate how awful they look when they are all streaky and this is something I’ve found that helps me go from using up to four coats to only two, every time. :) Works great for pastels as well, of course!

Karen Mani-Geek 31 December 2013 at 12:37 am

Holy crap! Really?? You just KNOW I’m gonna try that out! Can’t hardly wait!! Thanks Desiree!

Kellie Gonzales 31 December 2013 at 1:22 am

Love your swatches & review! Glad to have found your blog :)

Karen Mani-Geek 31 December 2013 at 10:07 am

Aw, shucks! Thanks so much, Kellie!

Janine 31 December 2013 at 10:56 am

I keep thinking of this collection as a palette, similar to an eye shadow quad with a light neutral, two medium neutrals and one vibrant accent colour. The shades all look great together — perfect for nail artists, huh Mani-Geek?

Karen Mani-Geek 31 December 2013 at 11:08 am

Um, nope. Not perfect for nail artists. Except maybe Under the Twilight – the rest all have too much white in ‘em and need too many coats to get to opaque. Most stuff that’s good for nail art is thicker and super-pigmented. I guess you could use these as base but after doing 3 or 4 coats, who’d want to try arting on that only to mess it up and have to re-do 3 or 4 coats? Not this girl! Of course, I can’t art anyhow…

But yes, reminiscent of a quad! Yes! And lotsa people out there wondering where that deep dark plum comes in for a spring resort collection – well, it can’t be daytime at the resort all the time – the plum is for evening when you’re chuckin’ back margaritas by the bar.

Janine 31 December 2013 at 6:04 pm

Omigod, I love that you don’t art, but you’re geek enough to know what the art-type needs.

Out of the collection, I’m most likely to wear Under the Twilight, no matter what time of day. But that’s because I dig a dramatic nail shade.

Also LOVE Desirée’s anti-streak matte-polish layer tip. Wanna know how that works for you!

Angela 1 January 2014 at 11:14 pm

Hi Janine! Beautiful swatches. Any idea why the Resort 2014 collection is being released first? I was anticipating news about their Spring ’14 collex!

Janine 2 January 2014 at 1:06 am

Hi Angela! All swatches are courtesy of our mani-geek Karen :-)

“Resort” collections usually hit around now, January to early February, about the time people jet off to some resort or another to avoid winter until Spring. It’s the stop-gap collection that falls between Fall/Winter and Spring.

Essie Spring is due in salons and stores in March — previews should start to hit soon!

Jill 14 January 2014 at 8:41 pm

LOVE Under the Twilight with Dior Perle on top… you just made me add 2 more to my list : ) I just found your blog – you do a great job reviewing products! I love the comparisons too, that is super helpful.

Karen Mani-Geek 14 January 2014 at 10:14 pm

Thank you, Jill! You are SO going to love that Dior Perlé! You can put it over anything dark and it’s a stunner.

We’re happy you’ve found us & if you ever have questions, fire away! We always do our very best to answer.

Cheers!
J & K.

Maja 24 January 2014 at 10:24 am

I just found your blog and find it really informative and helpful and written in such a fun way. I’m totally on cue with the ooohhhing and aaahhhing on the last combo ;-)

Karen Mani-Geek 24 January 2014 at 10:34 am

Maja!

Welcome to BeautyGeeks! We hope you enjoy your visits – we write this stuff for you and everyone else who geeks out about beauty products. Feel free to Ooooh and Aaah with the rest of us – we like that a lot!

J & K.

Nicole 9 March 2014 at 6:08 pm

In my quite large collection of polish I have not a single Dior, they are too darn pricey for me when I can find excellent polishes in amazing colors for 1/4 the price (or less). However, the combo of Under the Twilight and Perle is making me rethink. Maybe I have room for a Dior…

Karen Mani-Geek 9 March 2014 at 9:19 pm

THIS Dior is the one – you can use it over everything! (well, not peaches because is doesn’t look very pretty over peach – I know this because I tried it).

Happy Dior shopping!!