Bedside Beauty: It’s Okay to Go to Bed with Makeup On

by Janine on 6 December 2013 · 13 comments

bedside beautyAt this time of year in particular, there just aren’t enough weeks in a day. And at the end of days like that, spending even 10 minutes fussing at the bathroom sink before bed seems like an overwhelming effort. With some smart bedside beauty tips, though, you can streamline your nighttime routine and go to bed with makeup on.

Yep, that’s right: go to bed with makeup on. I do it. All the time. You should, too. Seriously, go ahead: brush your teeth, floss and rinse with mouth wash — you can’t mess with your oral health — then just climb into bed. And reach for some essentials on your bedside table to take care of your skin before sleep. Well, duh — you can go to bed with makeup on, but you don’t want to go to sleep with makeup on.

bedside beauty

Bedside beauty calls for some no-sink required essentials. It’s all about being able to snuggle against your pillows to cleanse, treat and moisturize before you drift off to sleep so you can wake up with soft skin and a glowing complexion.

Bedside Beauty_skincare to keep by your bed so you can go to bed with your makeup onMy current bedside-beauty essentials:

cotton facial pads Shiseido Facial Cotton pads ($11 at Shoppers Drug Mart, murale.ca). If you haven’t tried these yet, you don’t know what you’re missing. We beautygeeks know what you’re missing, though — here’s why Shiseido Facial Cotton is the best. ever.

micelle cleanser  Rodial Dragon’s Blood Cleansing Water ($30 at murale.ca) with hyaluronic acid and a handy pump (the one-hand dispenser is key). Yes, it removes even waterproof mascara.

treatment toner Neostrata Toning Solution Level 1 ($27 at well.ca), an 8% glycolic acid solution that helps keep my skin clear and smooth.

hydrating mist Rodial Dragon’s Blood Hyaluronic Tonic ($35 at murale.ca), one of my favourite facial mists.

hydrating serum Consonant HydrExtreme (from $72 via consonantbody.com), one of a bunch of great hydrating serums I keep close.

eye cream Clinique Repairwear Laser Focus Wrinkle Correcting Eye Cream ($55 at clinique.com), a satisfyingly moisturizing formula that softens without feeling heavy.

face cream Bliss Triple Oxygen Ex-”glow”-sion! Vita-Bead Infused Moisture Cream ($64 at sephora.ca), which isn’t designated as a night cream, but is rich enough to serve as one for my skin.

body oil Cowshed Moody Cow Balancing Bath and Body Oil (bought in Paris; cowshedonline.com), one of several oils I adore for making skin gorgeously silky and soft.

hand moisturizer Rodial Glam Balm Multi ($49 at murale.ca) — I’m really on a Rodial kick right now, it seems.

lip balm Diptyque Soothing Lip Balm ($42 at Holt Renfrew; nordstrom.com), one of my favourite gift-worthy lip balms.

organizer Anna Sui Beauty Tray ($25 at murale.ca)

Bedside Beauty skincare to keep by your bed so you can go to bed with makeup onI actually have similar collections of essentials in my living room, too, so I can cleanse, treat and moisturize while I’m catching up on episodes of “Elementary” via ROD (#IwanttobeLucyLiu). Plus, I’ve been known to fall asleep on my couch; a couchside beauty routine minimizes the risk of my falling asleep with makeup on.

Think you’ll try going to bed with makeup on anytime soon?

Micellar Cleanser that Doesn't Sting Eyes -- BEAUTYGEEKS
28 May 2014 at 5:17 pm
How to Have Awesome Teen Skin -- BEAUTYGEEKS
20 October 2014 at 11:21 am

Christina 6 December 2013 at 11:28 am

What a gorgeous photo. I’m dying to try the Cowshed products that I keep reading about in British Vogue. Envy. And envy that you got it in Paris. So glamorous.

And what’s the candle, please?

Janine 6 December 2013 at 12:05 pm

Thanks, Christina! That particular Cowshed oil is just wonderful; I need to know more Cowshed, too. I couldn’t resist it when I spotted it in Colette.

That lovely candle is by Fresh — adore. The scent is Sake; other favourites are Santal and Brown Sugar (which smells lemony, not caramel-sweet).

Beauty Reflections 6 December 2013 at 12:28 pm

What a great idea! I love that you have it all by your bed. I want to try that Rodial Cleansing water now!

Janine 7 December 2013 at 3:58 am

It just made sense, Tracy! Of course, I also have another batch of all this stuff in the bathroom because sometimes I need it there, too. *grin*

I love the Rodial Cleansing water! Lise Watier has one I like, too; must post about it (love the press-down pump dispenser as well as the formula). And Yves Rocher has a nice one, too, although I think they need to re-think the bottle (not a pump).

Lisa 6 December 2013 at 1:18 pm

I love this and how you used the Anna Sui tray to corral everything!

I’ve recently become addicted to makeup remover towelettes. Once I know I’m home for good in the evening, I remove my makeup. Then I’ll do the other stuff (cleanse, tone, moisturize) later. It’s not as sophisticated a strategy as yours, but at least it prevents me from sleeping with makeup on.

Janine 7 December 2013 at 3:50 am

As soon as I saw that Anna Sui tray, I knew it was time for this post. I’ve been meaning to do it for a couple of years (erk!), but until the tray, I kept everything in a non-descript basket, and just hadn’t got around to finding something more attractive. Thank you Anna Sui!

Your strategy is no less sophisticated — I like that you don’t wait until the last minute to remove your makeup. Your routine works with — well, your routine! And that’s the most important thing. Thanks for sharing it!! xo

Michelle @LipstickRules 6 December 2013 at 4:54 pm

So smart! I need to do this now.

Janine 7 December 2013 at 3:54 am

It was totally a prevention move, Michelle! I think we’ve all felt that exhaustion that makes us want to faceplant into our pillows regardless of the makeup we’re still wearing. And for me, that way lies breakouts.

The minute I decided to keep cleanser nearby, I had to add all the other stuff because cleansing is only the first step. When I travel, I just put my cleansing kit next to the bed in the hotel room, too, so I can clean my face and moisturize while I watch a little TV from the bed before drifting off. Multi-tasking at its beauty best. *grin*

Natasha 6 December 2013 at 7:48 pm

I loooooove this article. It kind of makes me feel like I’m not alone. I keep Reversa Cleansing Micellar Solution next to my bed with some cotton rounds because on lazy nights, the pump on that bottle is AMAZING. It’s the ultimate in laziness! You can wipe off your make up with one hand! I also keep moisturizer, eye cream and all that other beautiful stuff on the table. I’m telling you though……pump bottle….what.a.dream.

Janine 7 December 2013 at 3:47 am

Omigod, yes — I’d venture to say those pump-bottle dispensers are life-changing! You and I geeked out about them before, at the end of this post: http://bit.ly/1dWnQqc

Lise Watier has a new micelle cleanser with exactly that kind of top, and it’s a good cleanser too. I haven’t tried the Reversa, though; it’s now on my list, thank you!

And I love that you have all this stuff on your bedside table, too! I think a fair number of people keep wipes handy. I figured it’s not that much of a leap to keep at least a moisturizer handy too — and then I just moved my entire PM skincare routine bedside. Made sense! xoxo

Melody 7 December 2013 at 1:58 pm

Thank you for including where you got the basket from. It was the first thing that caught my eye and I love Anna Sui’s aesthetic. :) Have you done a blog on eye makeup removers or sensitive skin? I have allergic reactions to almost every kind of eye makeup remover I’ve tried (hurtful burning in the eyes) and I’d love to hear your recommendations!