Spring 2014: Hallo, Chanel Charivari Nail Polish. You’re Pretty.

by Karen Falcon on 29 November 2013 · 9 comments

Chanel Charivari BottleSo here we are, barely into winter and what do I have for you today? Chanel Spring 2014! Wheeee! Here, lookit Chanel Charivari nail polish, AKA Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour 603 Charivari. It’s a dark, dark, eggplanty mauve that I love.

Chanel Charivari SwatchShe goes on with an almost jelly-like consistency and it only takes two nice coats to get to what I’ve shown you.

I didn’t do a topcoat but if I was gonna do a topcoat, I might want to think about this particular formula…

Chanel Charivari Mat Top CoatOooooh. Aaaaah.

Along with Chanel Ballerina (swatched here) and Chanel Tapage (swatched here), Chanel Charivari will be available January 2014 ($28) with the rest of the Spring makeup collection (see it here). Until then, put it on your list of things to dream about.

Me? I’m gonna wear mine now. Don’t hate.

fun charivari facts

Our Liza Herz felt compelled to delve into the meaning of Charivari, such a distinctive name for a nail polish. Here’s what she discovered via Wikipedia:

Charivari (or shivaree or chivaree, also called “rough music”) is the term for a French folk custom in which the community gave a noisy, discordant mock serenade, also pounding on pots and pans, at the home of newlyweds. The loud, public ritual evolved to a form of social coercion, for instance, to force an as-yet-unmarried couple to wed. This type of social custom arose independently in many rural village societies, for instance also in England, Italy, Wales or Germany, where it was part of the web of social practices by which the small communities enforced their standards.

Charivari is the original French word, and in Canada it is used by both English and French speakers. Chivaree became the common spelling in Ontario, Canada. In the United States, the term shivaree is more common.[1]

*****

Oh, and Charivari was also the name of a really cool boutique in NYC that died:

Marc Jacobs worked there as a stock boy.

That is all. Geek transmission over.

Are you pro-Charivari shiny? Or pro-Charivari matte?

Mani ’n photos by Karen Falcon (she adores the light-eating properties of a good matte top coat) ©2013 BEAUTYGEEKS/imabeautygeek.com

Chanel Spring 2014 Makeup Collection (January) -- BEAUTYGEEKS
29 November 2013 at 7:20 am
Spring 2014: Chanel Ballerina 167 - BeautyGeeks
4 December 2013 at 9:28 am
Smalti #Chanel Primavera 2014. Collezione “Notes du Printemps” | Bellezza4you
9 December 2013 at 12:33 am
Spring 2014: Chanel Tapage 605 Swatched + A Brush Issue -- BEAUTYGEEKS
17 December 2013 at 11:11 am

Laura 14 December 2013 at 12:49 am

I saw this in Neiman Marcus today and loved it, and now you’ve sold me. Going back for it tomorrow. AND THAT TOP COAT.

So, so good.

Karen Mani-Geek 14 December 2013 at 2:38 am

Laura! Yay!!
It really is a great colour for winter even though it’s part of Chanel’s spring 2014 lineup. As for the top coat, I quite love my Chanel Mat Top Coat but a handful of people out there don’t love it. The good news is the everyone is making one these days. OPI makes a good one with a nice wide brush so you don’t need to do as many strokes as the Chanel, Sally Hansen makes a good one, and Revlon does too. You don’t need to break the bank for a matte top coat but it’s SO nice to have a Chanel one right next to all your other Chanel polishes.

Happy shopping!

Laura 14 December 2013 at 9:31 pm

Thank you for this–I think I’ll try out a cheaper matte coat first and see how much I actually use it before shelling out. Sprung for the Préface powder and the Quadrille eyeshadows though…I just couldn’t resist. Blushes and lips to be added along the way, but I’m keen to get your take on the Tapage polish. I tried it and it’s definitely pretty, but I couldn’t quite handle the SA declaring it “Completely Different!” from Elixir. I mean, brighter and more orange, yes, but nothing alike? Seemed like it might be a push…

Karen Mani-Geek 15 December 2013 at 2:33 am

Oh. Right. Tapage.
I think I have that somewhere around here… I’ll see if I can dig it out and do a post for next week!

Catherine Dream 23 December 2013 at 11:35 pm

Love the colour and j’adore the name!