Whirligig Wonders: Babyliss MiraCurl vs Conair Curl Secret Hot Curling Tools

by Janine on 19 November 2013 · 15 comments

Conair Curl SecretSometimes I shoot impromptu video at press events, where conditions aren’t really ideal — pounding music, a milling crowd, loud ambient chatter…. Oy. Despite all that in the video below, Staff convinced me to post it anyway. It’s about the Babyliss MiraCurl and the Conair Curl Secret, this year’s hottest and weirdest curling tools. She felt the information from DannyCo education director Andrea Sampson would be helpful as you finalize your holiday gift plans. So, here you are: beautygeek-y details on the Babyliss MiraCurl vs Conair Curl Secret; you can decide whether either one should be on your gift list, or wish list.

babyliss miracurl vs conair curl secret

On the topic of the Babyliss MiraCurl vs Conair Curl Secret, know this: they’re made by the same company. Basically, the Babyliss professional unit is bigger and hardier, with a more powerful motor, a titanium + ceramic winding chamber that gets hotter and retains more heat, three temperature options, and two curl-direction options.

The Conair Curl Secret is a bit more compact, features a recessed heater + protective shield, two temperature settings, and a ceramic + tourmaline winding chamber. Less durable than the professional version (it’s designed for less frequent use than might occur at a salon), it offers just one curl direction.

Final note: abide by the “position this side toward the head” directive on the Conair Curl Secret. If you use it with the other side toward the head, the winding chamber will draw the hair in from the wrong direction so that it gets seriously stuck.

I have tried the Conair Curl Secret; it’s really pretty cool. Getting the technique down takes some time, but that’s to be expected. I think I’d prefer the Babyliss, though. I like the option to switch the direction of the curl for a more random, natural effect, and the added durability of its design is reassuring.

What do you think? Re: the Babyliss MiraCurl vs Conair Curl Secret debate, which one interests you?

Babyliss Pro MiraCurl, $239 at canadabeautysupply.ca; Conair Curl Secret, $119 at Shoppers Drug Mart and Murale.

Karen Mani-Geek 19 November 2013 at 9:48 am

That is COOL (and also hot). The disappearing hair that turns into a curl is awesome – bye bye old school curling iron!

Other Seester 19 November 2013 at 10:26 am

I JUST saw this on the boob toob and thought (for the first time ever) that I want this. I want it. I want it cause it looks tres easy to use, which is a definite prerequisite when it comes to me and hair tools. What a coinkidink!

Janine 25 November 2013 at 8:24 am

It does take a leetle practice to sort out the technique, Other Seester, but once you get the hang of it, using the tool is totes easy. Most everyone is leaning toward the Babyliss because it offers the curl-direction option for a more natural finish.

Ange 19 November 2013 at 12:15 pm

Both are supercool! I’m still a little afraid that I would get my hair all tangled up in either of them, though. But would love to try one of them out.

Janine 25 November 2013 at 8:25 am

I can’t lie — tangling-up is likely to happen a couple of times at least when you’re getting used to using the machine. It’s not an intuitive tool. But it doesn’t take long to figure out; all you have to do is make sure you have the thing pointed the right way. *grin*

Jai 19 November 2013 at 1:57 pm

I have the Babyliss and I totally love it. It was definitely worth the investment, especially if your hair is hard to curl. Mine is extremely hard to curl and even harder to keep a curl, but this not only keeps a curl overnight, it gives you the perfect beach waves the next day.

Jessica 25 November 2013 at 8:17 am

Definitely prefer the MiraCurl! Love being able to choose the direction of the curl and the hotter device holds my curl better!

Janine 25 November 2013 at 8:21 am

I’m of the same opinion, Jessica — Conair should consider a Curl Secret 2.0 with a curl-direction option next year, right?

Robyn 25 November 2013 at 12:13 pm

I’m super intrigued by this, looks like a way better curl option that always using my flat iron but I think I would be too nervous to try it with my crazy long thick hair…so tempting though!

Cheeky1 18 December 2013 at 9:47 pm

I have the babybliss miracurl an I absolutely love it!
I love all the settings it has:) this one is a little more pricey than the conair one so if that is an issue go that way!

Jordyn 30 December 2013 at 9:23 pm

I have use both tools. the curl secret gets hot on the outside so it can’t be rested flush against the head to curl, the miracurl can as the outside of the tool doesn’t get hot.

Kelly 5 January 2014 at 10:49 am

The Miracurl is the best tool ever! I have such a hard time curling my hair and this makes it so easy that I use it almost daily! I can do a full head of curls or sexy beach waves in just 15 minutes. So many style options and great products to use with it. The alternating curl option is amazing!!

Aishia 19 July 2014 at 4:16 pm

My hair got stuck and I literally had to pull my hair out. But now the hair is stuck Around the barrel and now it is stuck and won’t work. Are there any directions on how to get the hair unstuck.?

Janine 19 July 2014 at 10:03 pm

Yikes! I’m not sure Aishia, I’m sorry. I think your best bet is to go to the Conair Facebook page and post the question there. Are you in the US or in Canada?

Stephy 2 August 2014 at 3:23 pm

Any ideal if they are both due voltage?