Lipstick Diary: What We Wore That Day

by Janine on 25 October 2013 · 19 comments

Maybelline Color Elixir 030 Raspberry Rhapsody_065 Caramel InfusedI’m cheating on lipstick, and Staff is so peeved — about semantics. “It doesn’t belong in Lipstick Diary if it isn’t lipstick,” she insists. “This isn’t even lip gloss!But Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm has so many gorgeous shades that it’s managed to lure me away from lipstick for¬†days — that’s a Lipstick Diary entry as far as I’m concerned. And look, I have a friend: that’s Maybelline makeup pro Grace Lee on the right, wearing Color Elixir in Caramel Infused. I’m wearing Color Elixir in Raspberry Rhapsody. And I have plans for a bunch more shades.

Maybelline New York Color Elixir liquid lip balmMaybelline Color Elixir — Maybelline New York Color Elixir if you’re a name stickler — stole my attention at first with its colourful palette. Not a boring shade in the bunch. Even the neutrals are super pretty. But it’s keeping my focus with enough pigment for a demi-sheer finish, and its light, hardly sticky texture. I have ingredient details to add as an update at the end of this post. Right now I just want to geek out about all the colour.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_005 Breathless Apricot_010 Celestial Coral_015 Mandarin Rapture_020 Signature ScarletMaybelline Color Elixir 005 Breathless Apricot, 010 Celestial Coral, 015 Mandarin Rapture and 020 Signature Scarlet.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_025 Mauve Mystique_030 Raspberry Rhapsody_035 Dashing Orchid_040 Vision in VioletMaybelline Color Elixir 025 Mauve Mystique, 030 Raspberry Rhapsody¬†(I’m wearing this in the opening photo), 035 Dashing Orchid and 040 Vision in Violet.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_040 Vision in VioletMaybelline Color Elixir 040 Vision in Violet: I’m so into this one next.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_045 Amythest Potion_050 Caviar Couture_055 Glistening Amber_060 Nude IllusionMaybelline Color Elixir 045 Amythest Potion, 050 Caviar Couture (gorgey burgundy), 055 Glistening Amber and 060 Nude Illusion.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_060 Nude IllusionMaybelline Color Elixr 060 Nude Illusion: It’s the opposite of bold colour, but I actually want to try it. Really. Nude Illusion is one of the shades makeup artist Grace Lee used a lot for the World Mastercard Fashion Week Spring 2014 shows. So many designers wanted natural makeup for the models; it’s going to be a nude Spring. (In January, Maybelline is releasing a Color Sensational line extension of eight nude lipsticks called The Buffs.)

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_065 Caramel Infused_070 Intoxicating Spice_075 Fuchsia Flourish_080 Captivating CarnationMaybelline Color Elixir 065 Caramel Infused (Grace is wearing this in the opening photo), 070 Intoxicating Spice, 075 Fuchsia Flourish, 080 Captivating Carnation.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_075 Fuchsia FlourishMaybelline Color Elixir 075 Fuchsia Flourish: Yep, this is another I need to wear soon. Look at that colour.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_080 Captivating CarnationMaybelline Color Elixir 080 Captivating Carnation: And I need to try this one, too. It’s just so pretty. (See why the lipstick hiatus?)

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_085 Hibiscus Haven_090 Rose Redefined_095 Blush Essence_100 Petal PushMaybelline Color Elixir 085 Hibiscus Haven, 090 Rose Redefined, 095 Blush Essence and 100 Petal Push.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_085 Hibiscus HavenMaybelline Color Elixir 085 Hibiscus Haven: Basically, I’ve spotlighted every shade I want to wear. Come to me, Hibiscus Haven.

Maybelline Color Elixir liquid lip balm_090 Rose RedefinedMaybelline Color Elixir 090 Rose Defined: I can’t tell you the last time I wore a simple rosy shade of lip colour. But I can tell you the next time I’ll wear one: as soon as I get my mitts on Rose Defined. It’s so pretty!

Maybelline New York Color Elixir liquid lip balm ($11.99, drugstores) hits counters in November. Anything catch your eye?

Maybelline Master Hi-Light Blush & ExpertWear Shadow - BEAUTYGEEKS
28 October 2013 at 2:18 pm
Avocado Beauty Treatments for Hands, Face and Hair -- BEAUTYGEEKS
1 November 2013 at 2:17 am
Benefit Agent Zero Shine + Benefit Lollitint Lip & Cheek Stain - BEAUTYGEEKS
5 November 2013 at 1:29 pm
Dress Up Your Smile for the Holidays
22 November 2013 at 1:12 pm
Lancome Lip Lover Lip Gloss: Moisturizing Color Swatches - BeautyGeeks
7 April 2014 at 3:49 pm
Mother's Day Gifts or Gifts Just For You Because You're Awesome - BeautyGeeks
10 May 2014 at 6:32 pm

Emilie 25 October 2013 at 8:38 pm

I love this line of lip color. Hydrating even after the product is long gone. Long-lasting even. 4 more and. I have the complete collection (yikes!). Right now I’m wearing Dashing Orchid and it’s not scary on the lips as it is on the tube.

Janine 26 October 2013 at 6:37 pm

I’m officially obssessed, Emilie — totally understand your line love. It’s that demi-sheer finish that makes each shade pretty much foolproof, even the ones that look scary in the tube. One of the reasons I think Color Elixir is a home run!

Janine 28 October 2013 at 2:31 pm

Is there a level of sheer between demi and full? Because it turns out that at least Vision in Violet is very nearly a full-coverage colour. It’ll scare a few at first, but adventurous types will adore. (I include myself in that category!)

Kelly G. 27 October 2013 at 6:24 pm

Uh Fuchsia Flourish, please. Now. Right now. Thank you.

Janine 28 October 2013 at 2:30 pm

It’s gorgeous, Kelly! And they really feel nice on the lips. Comfortable, un-goopy.

Lindsay 28 October 2013 at 2:27 pm

Wheeeeeeeee!

Janine 28 October 2013 at 2:29 pm

Totally warranted, Lindsay — I love them! And the 040 Vision in Violet? Insane.

Wendy 28 October 2013 at 9:20 pm

Really don’t want to press my luck but further swatches would make my day, although the only bad thing I’ve heard about them is a particular plastic smell, could you elaborate?
Hugs.

Janine 28 October 2013 at 11:29 pm

Stay tuned, Wendy — obsessed with 040 Vision in Violet right now; it begs to be a Lipstick Diary all its own. I hadn’t noticed a plastic smell; will check :-)

Janine 3 November 2013 at 3:27 pm

Nope, no plastic smell here, Wendy. Maybe it was a sample-batch issue?

Rachael 31 October 2013 at 4:58 pm

I would usually right there hating on any non lipstick..BUT this balm is the BOMB…that was lame but these blow always little attempt at this out of the water! This is so great because maybelline knows how to do bright colors well, BUT…where this succeeds so well is the formula. I reminds me of loreal le gloss at first but it kind of sets a little and and it FEELS like a balm….and one that stays!

Paula 24 March 2014 at 6:50 pm

I am OBSESSED with these! Such a great product. I’m so happy to see less expensive brands put out really great cosmetics. BTW, Fuchsia Flourish and Vision in Violet… AMAZING colors. I find I’m wearing more bold lips vs. bold eyes lately because of these two colors.

Janine 25 March 2014 at 1:12 am

Yes! Amazing shades, right Paula? I love that they’ve moved your makeup focus from your eyes to your lips — makes everything so easy. Greater impact with less effort!