Mani Monday: OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 — The First Swatches of the Complete 18-Shade Collection

by Karen Falcon on 22 September 2013 · 39 comments

OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 nail polish collectionAll I want for Christmas is OPI! Well, some of it anyway. “This season is all about red, glitter and texture for nails” – so says Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, OPI executive VP & Artistic Director. If that’s true, then the brand-spanking-new OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 Limited Edition collection is bang on. Almost.

The OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 collection features a whole whack of reds, a couple burgundy shades, and a big bunch of Liquid Sand polishes. We don’t think you’ll need the whole collection. There are two or three shades we think are special, but we’ve swatched all of them for you so you can make your own decisions. Without further ado, we’re wicked chuffed (too chuffed to wait for Monday) to bring you the first images of the entire OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 collection – that’s right, all 18 bottles.

OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 Collection — The Red

OPI Cute Little Vixen_Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Cute Little Vixen: a low-shimmer, slightly metallic red with violet undertones.

OPI Underneath the Mistletoe_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Underneath the Mistletoe: a dark red with just enough glitter to give it a nice little punch.

OPI All I Want For Christmas is OPI_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI All I Want For Christmas (is OPI): a solid red cream you’d expect from OPI. They say it’s maroon, I say it’s poppy.

OPI In My Santa Suit_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI In My Santa Suit: perfect shimmery holiday red. I’m going to say it’s poppy again, this time plus a nice silvery shimmer.

OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 Collection — The Burgundy

OPI Visions of Love_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Visions of Love: a seductive mahogany red with winter written all over it.

OPI Sleigh Ride For Two_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Sleigh Ride For Two: beautiful seductive mahogany red (hmm… where have I heard that before?) with a slight shimmer.

OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 Collection — The Glitter

OPI My Favorite Ornament_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 -- mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI My Favorite Ornament: pretty, pretty bright sparkly gold glitter.

OPI Wondrous Star_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Wondrous Star: My first look at the bottle brought high hopes. But I’ve done three coats there and it simply reminds me of black pepper. Maybe I should have done five? And then I had this really great idea…

OPI All Sparkly and Gold Liquid Sand_OPI Wondrous Star_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI All Sparkly And Gold  + an accent nail of OPI Wondrous Star: Ah Ha! I found the joy. That’s one coat of Wondrous Star on my ring finger over a complete two-coat mani of All Sparkly And Gold.

OPI I Snow You Love Me Glitter w OPI Cute Little Vixen_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI I Snow You Love Me: I pulled out the brush, looked at the size of the three bits of confetti that came up, and decided that instead of trying to paint it on, I’d use a pair of tweezers and make a disco ball accent nail. Don’t judge – I’m a nail painter, not a nail artist. It’s pretty in the bottle but I just have NO idea what to do with it. (See my glitter-placement inspiration here at chalkboardnails.com — that woman is An Artist.)

OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 Collection — The Other Two

OPI Ski Slope Sweetie_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Ski Slope Sweetie: sheer with white and gold pearlescent shimmer. I dig it. (Winter wedding, anyone?)

OPI Warm Me Up_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Warm Me Up: If I were forced to pick a favourite…. It’s a stunning chocolate espresso with the best subtle glimmer of silver. Holiday? I dunno. Fall/Winter? Yes! Yes! Yes!

OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 — The Liquid Sand

OPI All Sparkly and Gold Liquid Sand_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen Falcon OPI All Sparkly & Gold: I showed this glitter shade to you earlier in this post; a closer look is nice.

OPI Its Frosty Outside Liquid Sand_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI It’s Frosty Outside Liquid Sand: Oh, a frosted silver sand! Surprise! Not.

OPI Baby Please Come Home Liquid Sand_Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Baby Please Come Home Liquid Sand: Now that’s just pretty. When you look at the bottle, you know that it’s going to be the best kind of silvery lilac Liquid Sand. It is.

OPI Make Him Mine Liquid Sand and OPI Silent Stars Liquid Sand_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_manis n photos by Karen FalconOPI Make Him Mine Liquid Sand (left) and OPI Silent Stars Go By Liquid Sand (right) You’re looking at this image and thinking exactly what I thought, right? On my left hand is Make Him Mine (OPI uses the word “rose” to describe it) and on my right, Silent Stars Go By (OPI uses the word “pink” for this one). I use the words “too much the same, why stick both into one collection, OPI?” to cover both.

OPI Kiss Me at Midnight Liquid Sand_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen Falcon.OPI Kiss Me at Midnight Liquid Sand: Huh, blue Liquid Sand for Holiday. I don’t get it.

OPI Emotions Liquid Sand_OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013_mani and photo by Karen FalconOPI Emotions Liquid Sand: And finally, to round it all up and leave you with what I think is the best of the whole shebang, it’s OPI Emotions Liquid Sand. It’s flat black and it’s textured, it’s coal-like and somehow magical. It.Is.Stunning. Gimmie That.

Now you’ve seen it all, let us discuss this 2013 Mariah Carey Holiday collection from OPI. Come on, you know you wanna.

The OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 collection ($10.95 each) is available from professional salons, spas and TradeSecrets.

Manis’nphotos by Karen Falcon (sometimes she wishes she had an extra hand) © 2013 imabeautygeek.com. Image of Mariah Carey courtesy of OPI.

{ 1 trackback }

The Case of the OPI Mystery Polish -- BEAUTYGEEKS
14 November 2013 at 11:55 am

Icaria 22 September 2013 at 11:42 am

Ooooh those 2 vampy reds!!! I do believe I will need both! :)

Janine 22 September 2013 at 12:19 pm

I love those too, Icaria. I can’t seem to resist those shades this season.

Alex 22 September 2013 at 9:25 pm

Wow!!!
Great job on the manis! All I can say is drool…
Perhaps I CAN be a “red” gal!
Makes me really want to try the sand stuff! I have found some sparkly stuff difficult to remove in the past, is the sand much harder than the regular polish?

K Falcon 23 September 2013 at 6:15 am

Many thanks, Alex!

You CAN be a red gal! If your nails are a good shape and your cuticles look good, you can pretty much wear any colour you want. People often tell me “I can’t wear that colour”, I say “pshaw – if you like it, wear it”.

And please do try the sand stuff. It doesn’t actually chip – it tends to wear away evenly at the tip of the nail instead, which gives you an extra day or two of wear. Taking it off is less fun than taking off regular polish but easier than taking off heavily glittered glitter polish. I use 100% pure acetone and cotton pads from Costco for removal of everything – sand probably uses 4 pads per hand as opposed to 3 for regular polish.

I look forward to your stories of sand!
Cheers,
K.

Gauri 23 September 2013 at 1:40 am

Oh my Underneath the Mistletoe looks gorgeous! Loved all the swatches!!

K Falcon 23 September 2013 at 6:16 am

Thank you, thank you! I think of all the reds, that one is my favourite.

Shirley 24 September 2013 at 1:06 pm

Thankyou for the swatches, you helped me much.. I was curious about this collection. I like liquid sand so much, they are gorg! Could you compare kiss me at midnight to get your number? :)

K Falcon 24 September 2013 at 2:51 pm

You’re very welcome, Shirley!

I’m all about showing you the full collection so comparisons aren’t really my thing. Having said that, I covered Get Your Number here:

Get Your Number just sparkles more, doesn’t it? I’ll leave it up to you to decide if you need one or the other or both. After all, a girl can never have too much polish!

Shirley 25 September 2013 at 3:40 am

Yeah, i think so.. I have get your number, and so in love with it. Maybe they’re almost the same. i think i prefer to buy tiffany case than kiss me at midnight. The red colors are looked good, though i’m not really a red person, maybe i would try underneath the mistletoe. Thank you for your swatches, beautiful manis!

K Falcon 25 September 2013 at 7:51 am

I’m just gonna say I like Tiffany Case Liquid Sand more than I like Kiss Me at Midnight. It’s brighter – more platinum. Kiss Me sorta falls flat for me after sticking my fingers in Get Your Number and Tiffany Case.

The reds are pretty and OPI definitely makes a good polish – it’s easy to apply and I didn’t find any of those reds tricky to use. Their brush is also one of my top 3 faves.

I think they’re putting out a mini set for holiday too – let me see if I can check on that for you and see which red will be in it if they’re bring one out…

Shirley 25 September 2013 at 1:10 pm

That’s right.. I’ll get the tiffany soon, and think which one of the reds i’ll choose, haha.. Thank you very much, karen, that’s very kind of you :)

K Falcon 25 September 2013 at 1:49 pm

You betcha!

I’ve had a quick peak at the holiday mini sets and I don’t see one that has any of the 4 reds in it – they have other reds but in my estimation, any OPI red is a good red.

If you’re in Toronto, I can also tell you that I saw the entire OPI Holiday 2013 line up in a Trade Secrets store on Monday – Liquid Sand and all!

Shirley 26 September 2013 at 2:24 am

Oh i see… I’ll check on them later. maybe the regular one. Woww it must be great if i were there.. How much is opi in there? In here, it’s about $17-$18 /regular opi in a shopping center.

K Falcon 26 September 2013 at 8:29 am

OPI retails here for about $11 CAD a bottle.

Nicole 24 September 2013 at 4:08 pm

Out of the regular polishes Warm Me Up is the only one remotely interesting to me. The liquid sands are better… Baby Please Come Home, Kiss Me At Midnight and Emotions all look like they could find a place in my collection.

K Falcon 24 September 2013 at 5:33 pm

Nicole,
You might be my polish twin! Warm Me Up is a dupe of OPI’s Get In The Espresso Lane ‘cept with glimmer – I love it. It’s my favourite of the Not-Sands. Emotions Liquid Sand is my favourite of the Sands. It.Is.Wicked.

procrastinatingagain 24 September 2013 at 7:19 pm

Blue and silver are considered the traditional colors of Hanukkah. That is why blue is always a part of every holiday collection.

K Falcon 24 September 2013 at 8:30 pm

Aha! That makes so much sense to me now – I never noticed that there was always a blue until you just said that. Duh, me.

Michelle 25 September 2013 at 4:42 am

Most are pretty except for OPI I Snow You Love Me. What would I do with that chunky glitter?? Great post Janine.

Michelle 25 September 2013 at 4:43 am

Oops, I meant Karen!

Heather 28 September 2013 at 1:52 pm

I LOVE these! I already purchased all of the liquid sands, my favourite ornament and some of the reds and was actually wanting a better picture of sleigh ride for two to see if I was wanting that one or missing out and I found out I was! Your picture made me buy that one today! Beautiful swatches and now I don’t get to miss out on having sleigh ride for two in my collection :D

K Falcon 28 September 2013 at 9:08 pm

Yay, for Sleigh! I’m glad the swatch was useful to you – happy painting!

ps. Did you happen to pick up the Emotions Liquid Sand, too? Have you tried it? I’m wickedly curious to know what you think about it!

K.

Heather 1 October 2013 at 11:46 am

I did indeed pick up Emotions. When I first saw the liquid sands on swatches that were on the nail wheels, I thought that I was only going to pick up a couple but I ended up picking them all up! Emotions was one I was more interested in and I LOVE it! Probably because its very unique and it really does remind me of coal! I am very excited to wear it though! All of the liquid sands honestly are a win for me as they are very sparkly.

monica 4 October 2013 at 2:18 pm

I thought All Sparkly and Gold wasn’t a liquid sand…. The promo pictures said it was just a glitter..

K Falcon 4 October 2013 at 2:22 pm

You are correct, Monica – I caught that error a couple days ago and haven’t yet had a chance to fix it. You are totally right! It isn’t a liquid sand, it’s glitter.

Janine 4 October 2013 at 2:22 pm

I think that’s my mistake, Monica, when I built the post. I realize now that if it were a Liquid Sand, it would say so on the cap. Thanks for the alert!

Melissa 9 October 2013 at 7:58 pm

Warm Me Up reminds me of My Private Jet!

K Falcon 10 October 2013 at 8:32 am

My Private Jet is great, isn’t it? Warm Me Up is kinda like the deep chocolate version with less micro shimmer. Both are stunning. You should have both!

HB13 11 October 2013 at 10:29 am

Gorgeous swatches! So much easier to make up my mind which of these to buy.

K Falcon 12 October 2013 at 8:04 am
Jessica H 11 October 2013 at 11:48 pm

I love love love the swatches!

Mandy 26 October 2013 at 2:53 am

Hey Karen!! Thank you for the lovely pictures! I’m in Toronto too! :)
I’m a Mariah fiend.. So I’m getting all of them lol
And yes, Trade Secrets has them for sale now, and they’re $9.99 each.
They also have 2 of the sets, I’m currently looking for the third called “the look”. Also looking for the mariah white gold and silver top coat!!
Thanks for an awesome site! I’ll be coming back here often for sure!
- Mandy

Karen Mani-Geek 26 October 2013 at 6:38 am

Hi Mandy!
We’re so glad you like it here!
I’m surprised Trade Secrets doesn’t have the 18K Top Coat – I swear I saw it there a few weeks ago – sold out, maybe?
Good luck in your quest to complete the set – there’s nothing like having a whole collection to pick from every time you paint your nails. Do you have a favourite so far? Or a least favourite?
I’d love to know!
K.

Sachiko 2 November 2013 at 8:58 am

All of the colors are stunning! Thanks for showing them off!

I’m not sure why you don’t get that “Kiss Me At Midnight” is a sparkly, liquid sand blue. That is the PERFECT color for New Year’s Eve! Everyone wears bright, shiny, and sparkly colors on NYE.

Karen Mani-Geek 2 November 2013 at 10:06 pm

Blue is one of my wear-all-the-time colours (I love blue polish) so for me, special occasions call for wicked sparkly golds and silvers.

As I was going through and swatching the collection, this one just sort of came out of left field because everything else is so much red or gold or bronze. It just took me by surprise. That’s not to say I don’t like it – I’ve worn it a couple times already – reserving that silver sand (It’s Frosty Outside) for my NYE!

Petra 8 November 2013 at 11:02 am

These are gorgeous and our salon should be getting them in soon!

Doreen 18 December 2013 at 8:44 pm

One coat of Wondrous Star over Santa Suit – can’t stop admiring my mani!

Karen Mani-Geek 18 December 2013 at 9:36 pm

Oooh! Great idea! I’m gonna try that!