Fingertip Fashion: Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Appliqués + Cranky Beauty Pants

by Cranky B. Pants on 16 September 2013 · 22 comments

Revlon nail stickers_Revlon by Marchesa_Marchesa couture gownsFilm producer Harvey Weinstein wants you to buy nail stickers. Marchesa-gowned starlets have swanned down red carpets for several awards seasons now. Next month, you too can have a little piece of the couture fashion label, at least for a little while. Revlon by Marchesa is a new limited-edition collection of 3D jewel nail art appliqués featuring intricate, signature designs by Marchesa, of which Weinstein’s wife Georgina Chapman is a co-founder.

Revlon nail sticker_Revlon by Marchesa_Silk Rosette_3D Jewel Nail Art AppliquesEach package of Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Appliqués ($8.95, drugstores) includes 18 nail art stickers, a tiny plastic cuticle stick and a tiny nail file. Above: Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Appliqués in Silk Rosette.

Revlon nail stickers_Revlon by Marchesa Royal Burgundy 3D Jewel Nail Art AppliquesI tried the Royal Burgundy. Above: Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Appliqués in Royal Burgundy.

Revlon nail stickers_Revlon by Marchesa Crown Jewels 3D Jewel Appliques_nail artWhen the head Beautygeek suggested that I try these, I balked. I am, after all, an adult (ish). She suggested that I wear just one Revlon by Marchesa nail applique as a statement with a matching dark polish on the other nine fingers. That was a good idea. Above: Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Appliqués in Crown Jewels.

Revlon nail stickers_Revlon by Marchesa 24K Brocade 3D Jewel Nail Art AppliquesInstead I tried a handful to see if I, someone who visits a manicurist on the regular as a necessity, could do it successfully. You see, I am too incompetent to paint my own nails. It’s always a disaster, with colour landing on many places it doesn’t belong. Perhaps stick-on nail art could solve my problem? Above: Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Appliqués in 24K Brocade.

Revlon nail stickers_Revlon by Marchesa Gilded Mosaic 3D Jewel Nail Art AppliquesThe short answer is no. Above: Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Appliqués in Gilded Mosaic.

Revlon nail stickers_Revlon by Marchesa Evening Garnet 3D Jewel Nail Art AppliquesThe longer answer is that applying each sticker without bubbles or wrinkles is a challenge, at least for me. The pattern on the Revlon by Marchesa Royal Burgundy nail appliqués made the bubbles and wrinkles less noticeable, but nothing could get the extra length off evenly. Above: Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Nail Appliqués in Evening Garnet.

Revlon nail stickers_Revlon by Marchesa Jewelled Noir 3D Jewel Appliques_nail artI followed the instructions to the letter, but still my nails looked badly chipped from the outset. I also question how long the nail stickers might actually last; I found them quite peel-y. These are not for me. Above: Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Appliqués in Jewelled Noir.

Crank-O-Meter beauty rating out of 5: 2

Have you had success with nail art appliqués?

UPDATE: if you’re a nail-strip novice like Cranky Beauty Pants, you might like to see our new video tutorial on how to apply these Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel appliqués, featuring Revlon nail expert Leeanne Colley. Cranky’s going to have a look and try the application again :-)

Product photographs, Janine Falcon. Shown: seven of eight available-in-Canada shades; Beaded Couture is clear with silvery, crystal-esque accents.

Coming soon: designer nail art from Missoni & Marchesa | leopard is a neutral
17 September 2013 at 12:37 pm
How to Apply Revlon by Marchesa 3D Jewel Nail Strips -- BEAUTYGEEKS
3 October 2013 at 2:08 am

K Falcon 16 September 2013 at 9:59 am

Oooh…. Ahhhh… them stickers is purdy! A couple of them would do rather nicely as wallpaper, I think. A couple others would be lovely as accent nails, maybe. I don’t know that I could stand wearing a whole 10 fingers of ‘em.

As for using nail stickers, I haven’t yet tried the Revlon brand but I can say that all nail stickers are not created equal. The thickness can be problematic, the size and shape can be problematic, and believe it or not, you actually have to prep your nails for them.

I am not generally a fan of the sticker – there are too many out there that just do not fit my nails so I don’t bother trying. These are pretty though. I might give ‘em a whirl!

Thanks for the Cranky B preview – I loved it!

Septembre 16 September 2013 at 3:58 pm

These are so pretty that even a not so good review won’t repel me.

I’ve never been able to successfully apply nail stickers with creases (and I’m a person who paints my own nails AND does my own nail art) or bubbles and the sizes never seem to fit all of my nails BUT pretty pretty designs. I guess I’m a magpie or a glutton for punishment.

Janine 16 September 2013 at 5:04 pm

Coming soon, Septembre (and you, too, Cranky): instructions and tips via video from a variety of pros!

And Karen, I think if you approach them as nail accents, the fit becomes a non-issue. All you have to do is match one to your ring finger, which is usually smaller than others. Even a pinkie nail would do. That way you don’t have to worry about thumb nails, which are typically hardest to fit if you have generous nail beds.

Fit is even less of an issue of you customize your own shapes from the appliqués. So success is in your future, Septembre and K! (Yours too, Cranky!)

K Falcon 16 September 2013 at 5:22 pm

Interesting that like me, Septembre also does her own nails. Perhaps the two of us are just too picky/neurotic about perfect coverage to use stickers. After all, nothing covers quite as well as a flawless coat of polish.

Cranky B. Pants 16 September 2013 at 6:09 pm

I see no conflict between magpie-ism and punishment gluttony!

Melody 16 September 2013 at 6:39 pm

They are so gorgeous that I’ll probably buy one or two. A coat of polish on top to seal the edges maybe?

lita 4 October 2013 at 1:30 am

Where to get this?
I’m from Indonesia, my cousin live in states..
Is every drugstore has this?
But i can’t find them online :(
This is perfect for new year eve look..
Hope i can get them before december..

Janine 4 October 2013 at 6:39 am

Hi Lita,

They’re coming out in drugtores this month in North America. Keep an eye on the Revlon facebook page for news!

Re: online, they may be available from drugstores or pharmacies — maybe even Walmart — that have an online component, but I’m afraid I don’t have that information.

Portia 4 October 2013 at 11:20 pm

Oh my gosh, these are stunning! I want them all!

Peta 21 October 2013 at 8:05 pm

I purchased the pink ones last week and I have to say I am NOT impressed. As someone else mentioned, they are so pretty and I had to try them. I have tried about 5 brands on nail stickers in the last 6 months and these are the worst once they have been applied. Within 4 hours the tips had lifted and the next day one even had a split.
Yes they are beautiful, but as the dearest ones I have purchased yet, they are not worth the money as they have not even lasted one day.

Janine 23 October 2013 at 10:53 am

Hi Peta!

I’m still trying to get Cranky to give the appliqués another go with instruction from this how-to video with Revlon expert Leeanne Colley. My appliqués lasted a full week over a gel manicure; should last about the same over natural nails that have been properly prepped.

If you have any appliqués left, do try again; you may be surprised!

Michelle 27 October 2013 at 10:26 am

Peta, where did you find them?

Vanesha 24 October 2013 at 10:12 am

If you get a hair dryer add heat to this whole equation it make this whole situation go easier..especially when taking off the excess.

Janine 24 October 2013 at 12:48 pm

Have you tried that approach with the Revlon by Marchesa appliqués, Vanesha? They’re stickers, not strips of nail lacquer. I’m not sure what the heat would do to them. I’ll find out.

That said, the detail was baked on…

Janine 25 October 2013 at 12:57 pm

Hi again, Vanesha –

I checked with Revlon pro Leeanne Colley re: using heat with the Revlon by Marchesa appliqués. She feels that with these particular nail stickers — they’re not lacquer strips — using a hair dryer would compromise the adhesive.

Laura 10 November 2013 at 10:23 pm

I looked for these EVERYWHERE for the past month (seriously, multiple walgreens/cvs/targets/ultas) and can’t find them anywhere. called revlon and they were so rude!!! Worst brand ever

Janine 11 November 2013 at 9:37 am

How frustrating, Laura! Have you tried asking the folks who handle the Revlon Facebook page, or tweeting the brand? Sometimes the social-media folks can be really helpful.

Janine 13 November 2013 at 11:10 am

Hi again, Laura — I asked my Canadian contacts why you might be having so much trouble finding the appliqués. She says that because they’re limited edition and they launched in the US before they did here in Canada, it’s possible that most of the US stores have already blown through their stock. We’re lucky here because, frankly, our population is less, and some of the big retailers have decided to re-stock for the holiday season.

If you have friends visiting our neck of the woods, have them bring some back for you!

Melody 11 November 2013 at 8:17 pm

I found them at the Shopper’s just east of Broadview on the Danforth. Call first to see if they have any left.

Vicky B 29 November 2013 at 3:29 am

I bought the Marchesa Jewelled Noir nails yesterday. They seem only suitable for really long nails as you’ll end up getting rid of half the pattern when filing the excess away.I’m cutting mine in half. After reading some posts here I think I’ll use one as an accent nail.