Pencil Point: The Best Eye Liner for Cat-Eye Makeup + a Pro Tutorial

by Janine on 3 September 2013 · 11 comments

MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner_Charlotte Tilbury_feline eye or cat eye makeupEver been inspired by a makeup product to try a new look? I’ve met an eye pencil that puts ideas into my head. The MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner in Definedly Black makes me want to line everything. It’s at the top of my new eye liner (eyeliner?) list, the best eye liner for cat-eye makeup.

I have my favourite stay-put eye pencils for tightlining my inner upper waterline (as per this photo-tutorial) and for doing winged liner: Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Pencil and Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner Pencil (two of five great eye liners here). I prefer pencil over liquid liner because it affords me more control, especially if when I’m doing my face in the back of a taxi. (I do love a felt-tip eye liner marker, though — I once used up a Physicians Formula Eye Booster 2-in-1 Lash-Boosting Eyeliner.)

MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner_Feline eye or cat eye_Charlotte TilburyI finally got around to trying a MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner ($23, maccosmetics.com) a couple of weeks back, and suddenly I want to line everything. That includes my lower lash line, which I usually leave bare, and Chinese makeup clients.

I’m not kidding about the clients. Chinese eyes are built in such a way that pencil liner tends to smudge ridiculously easily (Chinese skin tends to be oily, too, which is part of the issue). I used the MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner on Chinese bridal clients a couple of weeks back: amazing.

The Best Eye Liner for Cat-Eye Makeup_MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner_Definedly Black_Devotion_Strong Willed_PowerlineThe MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner texture is wonderful, creamy and saturated, so it glides on easily and vividly before it dries down to a budge-proof finish. You have to work fairly quickly if you want to smudge the liner for a soft, smoky effect. And the stuff does. not. move. Hence its new Beautygeeks reign as the best eye liner for cat-eye makeup. Definedly Black, Devotion, Strong Willed and Powerline are new shades, just released. (You can’t have just one: Devotion, a deep army green, makes hazel eyes look more golden — love. Strong Willed, a rich aubergine, makes hazel and green eyes look greener, and is aces on brown and blue eyes, too. Powerline, an antique-y gold is just gorgeous; use it along the lashlines and tightline with Definedly Black.)

In the excellent video tutorial below, that gorgeous cat eye, or feline eye as veteran makeup pro Charlotte Tilbury calls it, is my next line-everything move inspired by my MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner in Definedly Black. (To clarify: for me, winged liner is an upper-lashline-only look; the cat-eye includes the lower lashline too.)

If you haven’t tried a MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner yet, you must. Must.

{ 1 trackback }

60+ Makeup: YES to Shimmery Eye Shadow - BEAUTYGEEKS
19 May 2014 at 7:42 pm

Ange 3 September 2013 at 1:28 pm

Love. love. love. this look. I will try to start playing with it, even though I still find it a bit intimidating to do it myself.

Janine 3 September 2013 at 4:43 pm

You can do it, lovely! Just takes practice — I’m a hafta practice too! xoxoxo

lmc1971 3 September 2013 at 2:26 pm

Ms. Tilbury use the Elizabeth Arden Smokey PowderPencil in black…why not try that?

Cheers, Lisa

Janine 3 September 2013 at 3:49 pm

Fell in love with the MAC Pro Longwear Eye Liner first, then spotted this tutorial. And my love for the Pro Longwear pencil made me want to try this look. VoilĂ : a post is born.

Felt it important to connect the MAC Pro Longwear pencil and this vid here because I know how this particular liner performs on oily skin and Asian (or half-Asian, in my case) eye structure.

Options are great, though. I’m not suggesting Charlotte Tilbury’s preference isn’t viable. I just haven’t tried it yet; will get around to it at some point.

Anyone already familiar with the Elizabeth Arden Smoky Eyes Powder Pencil? Verdict?

YouLookHotToday 3 September 2013 at 9:18 pm

When you use words like amazing, I take note. Seriously.

Icaria 4 September 2013 at 5:59 am

Does not move!!! Really??? Thank you Janine! *runs to the M.A.C counter…*

Tiya 4 October 2013 at 11:53 am

Do you mean Asian when you say Chinese? You shouldn’t assume all Asians to be Chinese. Regardless of the similar features. A lot of people find it offensive and it also makes you look ignorant.

Janine 4 October 2013 at 12:22 pm

Haha ha ha! Of course I don’t mean every Asian is Chinese. Please.

YouLookHotToday 4 October 2013 at 12:28 pm

Hahahaa! Oooh… Wait – you’re Asian, aren’t you Geek? Or are you just Chinese? Wait – I don’t get it.

LB 25 October 2013 at 3:24 pm

Not sure if you are trolling or if this is an actual question. I’m pretty sure Janine would be sure if she means Chinese when she says Chinese.