Mani Monday: Fall/Winter 2013 — Powerhaus Polishes Part II

by Karen Falcon on 29 July 2013 · 18 comments

OPI Peace Love OPI_close-up_Fall 2013 Nai Polish

Gaze upon the richness and warmth of OPI’s Fall/Winter and Essie’s Fall 2013 powerhaus polishes. Packed with duochromes and shine, these two collections are the business. And they’re part deux of our two-part Fall powerhaus picks (see part I here).

OPI Havent The Foggiest_Fall 2013 nail polish

OPI Haven’t the Foggiest ($10.95, opi.com for retailers), from the San Francisco collection — see the full range here: Brilliant, multilayered metallic awesomeness. It’s clean, bright, cool, and unbelievably hot.

OPI Muir Muir OnTheWall_Fall 2013 nail polish

OPI Muir Muir On The Wall (San Francisco collection; $10.95 each, opi.com for retailers): Oooh. A burgundy plummy-ish coppery duochrome. It’s got an almost satiny finish but if you slap a coat of top coat on it (I used my favourite Revlon), it shimmers and shines and screams edgy.

OPI Its All San Andreas's Fault_Fall 2013 nail polish

OPI It’s All San Andreas’s Fault (San Francisco collection; $10.95, opi.com for retailers): Hallo, liquid sand. I love you, liquid sand. Glitter- and sparkle-free, we’re looking at a bumped-up sophisticated cappuccino. Perfection achieved in two easy coats.

OPI Liquid Sand Alcatraz Rocks_Fall 2013 nail polish

OPI Alcatraz Rocks (San Francisco collection; $10.95 each, opi.com for retailers): I don’t have the words to tell you how much I love this shade of Liquid Sand. From the 15-bottle OPI set of Fall 2013 nail polish, I pick this as most favourite in the world. Winner. Gagnant.

OPI Peace Love OPI_Fall 2013 nail polish

OPI Peace, Love, and OPI (San Francisco collection; $10.95 each, opi.com for retailers): Remember Rimmel London Zeitgeist*? I do. It was one of the very first duochrome polishes ever created and it was groundbreaking. I kept that bottle and used that bottle for more than seven years. About six months ago, I had to let it go — it got to that part in the bottle where it had nothing left to give. It was my saddest day in polish-hoarding land. I wish I had a picture to show you but I don’t. Oh! Wait! I do! Sorta. OPI Peace, Love and OPI is my new Zeitgeist. If you ask me, it’s the shade of the season. Yep, I said that. I’m going to keep this forever.

Essie answers the call of the Fall, too. I don’t know what they’ve done to their new formula but it is an absolute pleasure to use. It’s thicker, it self-levels, doesn’t streak, and coverage is fantastic. It. is. good. And they’ve released a duochrome too, so you have shopping options.

Essie For The Twill Of It_Fall 2013 nail polish

Essie For The Twill Of It ($9.99, essiecanada.ca for retailers): Lookit that duochrome! Lookit! Purple, green, silver, grey, purple, green, silver. That right there is a what I call a Gimmie-That Colour. How does it compare with OPI Peace, Love, and OPI? Same. You need one or the other.

Essie Vested Interest_Fall 2013 nail polish

Essie Vested Interest ($9.99, essiecanada.ca for retailers): Solid and glitter-free. No chrome, no sparkles, no metallic, no flash. Simply the perfect Fall green for your nails. It makes me think of pine trees. And Fall. And winter (although Essie’s Winter polish collection is a whole new set of colours).

Essie Cashmere Bathrobe_Fall 2013 nail polish

Essie Cashmere Bathrobe  ($9.99, essiecanada.ca for retailers): Subtly sparkly but in no way glittery, how much do I love a charcoal grey? A lot. It’s wintery and moody with an elegant little twinkle.

Essie The Lace Is On_Fall 2013Essie The Lace Is On  ($9.99, essiecanada.ca for retailers): See photo for approximately 1000 words (some of those words should be metallic, bold, magenta, ooooh, and gimmie that). Yes, it’s from the Fall 2013 nail polish collection but I don’t care. I’m wearing it now. I’ll wear it again in Fall, too. And probably again in winter.

So, if you only had to pick two, which two would they be?

Photos and manicures by Karen Falcon (she eats Cheetos for dinner).

*Definition: Zeitgeist (spirit of the age or spirit of the time) is the intellectual fashion or dominant school of thought that typifies and influences the culture of a particular period in time.

Essence Effects 3D Pearls + Fall/Winter Nail Polish Wins - BEAUTYGEEKS
19 August 2013 at 9:47 am
Essie Shearling Darling Winter 2013 Nail Polish Manicures--BEAUTYGEEKS
1 September 2013 at 12:19 am
The Best Fall Nail Trends To Try Now | For Women
26 October 2013 at 4:49 pm

Natasha 30 July 2013 at 7:13 am

The Lace Is On looks like Jamaica Me Crazy??!!

The two I would pick are………Cashmere Bathrobe and It’s All San Andrea’s Fault. Nice colours all around though :)

K Falcon 30 July 2013 at 7:59 am

The Lace is On is similar – not so much glittery ‘n shimmery as it is a straight up metallic. It’s lovely – one of my favourite shades!

Natasha 30 July 2013 at 7:16 am

I lied, replace San Andrea’s with Muir Muir On The Wall!

Alex 30 July 2013 at 8:15 am

So….”mani” colours that I want!!! Muir Muir and Peace, Love and OPI are tied for my faves! Great post!

LoriM 30 July 2013 at 9:36 am

That’s it, I’m preordering the Essie mini cube collection! I must have that Twill polish. : )

Henna 4 August 2013 at 11:29 pm

Karen, those nail colours are nice, but what caught my eye is your nail shape! I’m jealous! I’ve got short nails right now because of practical reasons, but I’m totally growing them now. :)

Karen Falcon 5 August 2013 at 9:15 am

Thank you, Henna!

My nails aren’t really that long – I have (as my sister says) long, wide nail beds. I don’t know what that means but I think it means I just have big fingernails.

Happy growing!

LMC1971 22 August 2013 at 3:31 pm

OPI Peace, Love, and OPI & Essie for the Twill of It both look a lot like NARS Disco Inferno from earlier this year…I would if a comparison swatch is in order?

Thanks, Lisa
@LittleMama71

K Falcon 23 August 2013 at 1:47 am

LMC,
Gah! I gave away the Essie because it’s a twin for the O.P.I. and I don’t have the NARS. Sorry, no can do.
Cheers,
K.

Paige 12 September 2013 at 10:04 pm

How many coats did it take for Peace, Love & OPI and the Essie ones?

K Falcon 13 September 2013 at 8:45 am

Hi Paige,

That’s 2 coats of Peace, Love & O.P.I and 2 of Essie For The Twill Of It. Duo-chromes can be tricky and these formulas dry a little more quickly than most. I did one coat (capped the free edge), waited about a minute or two, and then did the second coat (using a touch more polish on the brush than the first coat). If you do your coats too quickly with duo-chromes, you end up dragging up the bottom layer. Also, you’ll want to keep your brush as perpendicular to the nail as you can and use as little pressure as you can to avoid getting streaky lines om the chrome finish. Cap the free edge, give it another couple minutes, and hit it with your top-coat.

carly 22 November 2013 at 8:46 am

I just gotta say your hilarious! I’ve been looking at different Mani Mondays, your swatches are beautiful,and your so funny too.
Keep up the beautiful work!
Carly (I have a really nice sister too!)

Karen Mani-Geek 22 November 2013 at 9:35 am

So many nice compliments! Thank you, Carly!

ps. I had chicken wings for dinner last night… followed by Cheetos (the crunchy kind).

Lyndale 3 January 2014 at 2:19 am

I STILL have my bottle of Zeitgeist AND it’s sister, Mania. If you don’t know it, Mania is an emerald green with tiniest shimmer particles, just like Zeit does. In Mania, the colours change from green to blue with the occasional flashes of gold, copper and even pinks. Especially outside, of course, but it was the closest thing to a peacock’s feather I have seen.
BUT……
At least three, maybe as many as five or six, years before, there was a small range of shades by Revlon. I don’t know if all Revlon shades used to be in miniature bottles but my three little bottles are so old and worn that all but one has the names worn off. That one is called Jungle Zing and is one best MULTIchromes I have seen. The second is very similar to Jungle but has a slightly pinkier colour to it, rather than the flaming opals in Jungle. The last is a bit different, it is a pale mint/turquoise/duckegg sort of shade, except the shimmer, and colour change so soft and delicate it is like gazing the shiny inside of a sea shell. It is so thin, to get opacity would take four or five coats at least. However it works best over another colour to give it a shifting, shimmering, sea-shell (or mermaid scale) effect. Bloggers so far haven’t been able to confirm it’s existence prior to 1999 BUT my bottles were bought when I was in school so they were made before ’95 but in tiny bottles. Max Factor, sorry but Revlon had the idea Long ago, lol. Waffled on enough now, I could talk make up and nails all day if someone let me ;)

Karen Mani-Geek 3 January 2014 at 9:01 am

Lyndale,

I am SO envious! I often wish I still had my Zeitgeist – I think it was re-released a handful of years after it was first launched and because I still had one, I didn’t buy a second. I can’t bear to think about it…

I absolutely 100% believe you when you say Rimmel wasn’t the first but it was definitely my first (it’s possible you had a head start on your nail addiction). Urban Decay had some after Rimmel too. If you ever do your nails with those precious shades, please Pin your pictures and link me so I can see! I’d love to see and I’ll betcha there are other duochrome addicts that would love to see too!

By the way, Revlon has a beautiful new duo launching pretty soon – I can’t wait to show everybody! It’s called Chameleon – it has a darker base shade than Chanel’s Peridot but the same general shades with a wicked duo.

Thanks for the post – LOVE it! And do feel free to talk nails and make up here all you like. We dig it.