Makeup Artist Sonia Kashuk Wants You to Wash Your Makeup Brushes Daily

by Janine on 18 June 2013 · 26 comments

Sonia-Kashuk-makeup-brushes_Target-Canada_imabeautygeek.com_Makeup pro Sonia Kashuk, perhaps best known for her eponymous line of cosmetics, brushes and cases at Target, has seen her share of icky makeup brushes. Haven’t we all? Most of the time, they’re ours.

Conventional advice is wash your makeup brushes like this once a week, or once every two weeks. Some people manage once a month. Others… well. I knew one girl who kept her makeup brushes in a plastic baggie. When I saw it, the baggie was opaque brown; she hadn’t washed her brushes in more than a year (#bacteriapallooza). And for sure she’s not alone in the length of time she’d let her brush-washing slide (#youknowwhoyouare).

“Every day,” says Sonia firmly.

What? Who’s got that kind of time?

As Sonia sees it, we all do. “When you’re finished doing your makeup in the morning, if you’re at your bathroom counter, just take them right there when you’re done, wash them off, lay them flat to dry. The next morning, they’re done, they’re clean, you’re ready to go. It’s just putting that step into your daily routine,” she says.

“Think about the cleanliness at the counter. You have a bar of soap and a sink, just wash.”

If I had a bathroom counter (#stuckwithapedestalsink), I think I could do it. After all, how many brushes do you use on a daily basis? For me it might be three: eye shadow, blush, powder. Washing all three would take just a couple of minutes.

What about you? Is daily brush washing something you could fit into your routine?

Sonia Kashuk cosmetics and accessories are rolling out in Target stores in Canada now.

Why You Need to Downsize to a Small Powder Brush
26 June 2013 at 9:31 am
Sneak Peek: Sonia Kashuk Spring 2014 (Hello, Sonia Kashuk Lip & Cheek Balm!) - BeautyGeeks
19 January 2014 at 1:20 pm

Zorbs 18 June 2013 at 11:25 am

I’ve never washed my brushes..one I’ve had since I was 15..I just turned 35, and I use it daily.

Janine 19 June 2013 at 1:19 am

Seriously?

Pam 21 January 2014 at 5:23 pm

Ewww!

Lisa 18 June 2013 at 1:38 pm

It’s not the washing I mind, but the drying time. If I wash a big fluffy powder brush and lay it flat, it needs at least 10 hours to dry thoroughly (especially the dense bristles in the centre!). In a pinch, I’ll use spray-on brush cleaner and swirl the brushes around on a paper towel to get residue and excess makeup off.

Janine 19 June 2013 at 1:23 am

Hmmm. Well, if you were to wash that big fluffy powder blush after using it in the AM, it would definitely dry by the next morning — 23 hours later? — yes? (I’m not really a fan of brush cleanser, although it’ll do in a pinch. Seems to make my brushes shed bristles.)

Lisa 19 June 2013 at 4:31 pm

Way to do the math for me and remove my excuse for laziness. :)

I haven’t seen the bristle-shedding with my brushes when I use brush cleanser, but I know what you mean about it being okay in a pinch. Definitely not a substitute for a good wash.

Janine 19 June 2013 at 7:34 pm

Ha ha ha! And math isn’t my strong suit!

Tammy Holland 7 July 2013 at 9:50 pm

You could always try Merle Norman’s Brush Cleaner. I use it everyday in my studio…it’s fast drying, but doesn’t dry out the bristles as would straight alcohol. It also conditions and softens the bristles. Then your able to freshen up your powder or eyes later on without worry of a wet brush. And lastly, it contains an anti-bacterial agent. For the foundation and concealer brushes I use an anti bacterial soap and let dry.

Maggie 18 June 2013 at 6:30 pm

There’s no way I could wash all the brushes I use everyday. I KEEP trying and have tried but there’s no way I could stick with a system like that. But I also agree with Sonia Kashuk–esp since I have sensitive skin prone to dermatitis, acne and eczema. I try to have at least enough sets of my daily brushes so I can always grab a clean brush but go the entire week without washing if I have to. I also can do nearly all my makeup without a brush.

Janine 19 June 2013 at 7:34 pm

Actually, in the last little bit I’ve been using just one brush — but I’m in the back of a cab when I’m doing my makeup. *grin*

Rae // theNotice 18 June 2013 at 10:41 pm

Oh man, there’s no way I’d be able to wash my brushes every day! I don’t wear a ton of product, but I’m crazy about my tools — I’d probably be looking at six or seven brushes a day, and that’s WITHOUT eye makeup.

I’m definitely in support of weekly(ish) washings, but I feel like daily deep-cleaning is a little excessive. As long as you’re always applying to a clean face & don’t share your brushes (or makeup!) with anyone else, all it’ll do for most of us is shorten their lifespans! :(

Natasha 19 June 2013 at 7:21 am

I wash my brushes frequently, 2 times a week. Since I don’t wear make up EVERY single day, it’s almost after every use. I have to because if I don’t my acne actually gets worse. I noticed a huge difference once I started cleaning them more often.

Janine 19 June 2013 at 7:30 pm

Makes sense, Natasha — frequent washing shuts down the bacteria highway that runs between skin and makeup via the brushes, right? Do you have a lot of brushes?

Lizzy 19 June 2013 at 9:55 am

Precisely why the only brush I own is a blush and eyebrow brush!

Janine 19 June 2013 at 7:26 pm

*grin*

Ellicia 19 June 2013 at 11:11 am

I don’t wash my brushes. I keep a small bottle of rubbing alcohol in a spritzer bottle. Since the bathroom is a germy place, I spritz my brushes and clean them with a tissue when I’m through. Also my eyeliner pencil and my lipstick. I also do my fingertips and shake them dry before I apply anything to my face so I don’t transfer whatever I touched last. I know this sounds obsessive, but it came about because of all those demonstrations in the petri dishes on 20/20 and Dateline – Gross. It’s fast, no drying time, and they are disinfected.

Janine 19 June 2013 at 11:24 am

Hmmm. Disinfecting brushes isn’t the same as cleaning them via a proper wash, Ellicia. Try washing just one — maybe your blush brush — and you’ll see and feel the difference.

Smart to include your liners and lipsticks in the process, though!

Cranky B. Pants 20 June 2013 at 11:39 am

Okay. I did it this morning. Hopefully my face will be less cranky as a result!!

J-Mo 27 June 2013 at 8:36 am

I did mine on Monday (is there any better way to celebrate St-Jean Baptiste?!!?!) after being shamed into it……. ;) Not sure it’s made a significant difference but I definitely FEEL better about it!

Janine 27 June 2013 at 8:10 pm

Two thumbs up, Cranky and J-Mo! xo

Ange 20 June 2013 at 5:37 pm

It makes sense to wash them everyday, I know I should, and will admit that I don’t.

I find that when I leave too long a time between washing (say a month) that it takes two or three washes to get all the product out of my blush brush and three or four washes for my powder brush. If I washed them everyday maybe it would only take one quick wash for each. Maybe. Hopefully.

Julia 20 June 2013 at 7:02 pm

I wash all cream/liquid brushes after every use and powder brushes once a week. I also have duplicates of the most used brushes like concealer,foundation and eyeliner that way if I was lazy and didn’t wash them right away or they aren’t dry yet there is always a fresh dry one. I have super sensitive skin that will break out in either acne or some crazy allergic reaction for no reason. I used to do the weekly/ish thing with all my brushes but since I switched over a year ago my face has calmed down considerably and last time I saw my dermatologist he said I have have beautiful skin and who doesn’t want to hear that!

Janine 21 June 2013 at 10:26 am

That’s so great about your derm’s assessment! It makes all the effort worth it, doesn’t it?

I have to say my favourite thing about this post is the number of comments from women who DO wash their brushes diligently. For too long all we’ve ever heard are confessions from people who don’t clean their tools at all. This is such a nice change!

80sChicwithglasses 21 January 2014 at 6:35 pm

Honestly, I wash my brushes every Friday or Saturday night. I thought I was in a good habit, but honestly I should wash mine everyday. I think this would be good practice once I make a habit of it. It also make me use less brushes. Long ago I used 3 maybe 4 brushes, so that would be great (and simple) to get back to. A easy brush cleanser I use is peppermint castle soap (from Trader Joe’s). A very tiny bit goes a long way and you don’t need to work at your brushes to get product out.