Nail Arts & Crafts: L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Confetti and The Sparklicious Top Coats and Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat

by Janine on 13 June 2013 · 15 comments

Lauren_L'Oreal Paris Top Coat_ConfettiThe biggest-selling top coat in Europe is popular with two little girls I know in Canada. Truth be told, it’s popular with a certain beautygeek in Toronto, too. You might have seen it here, in this sneak-peek post from the Paris previews back in November. In the photo above, it’s on my seven-year-old niece, Lauren (she loves a different colour on every nail).

Essie Turquoise and Caicos and L'Oreal Paris Dots topcoatHere it is on my 11-year-old niece Erin, who loves a simple accent nail. She’s wearing Essie Turquoise and Caicos with L’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Top Coat in Confetti (in Canada it’ll morph into something called The Sparklicious), which jumped to the number-one-top-coat spot in Europe soon after its release a few months ago.

Lauren_L'Oreal Paris Top Coat in Confetti_over fuchsia_red_pink nail polishYou can see why Europe’s Confetti is so popular — its black-and-white flakies in clear polish look great over pretty much any nail lacquer colour. Our favourite base shades: any intensity of blue, blue-green, teal, fuchsia, pink, yellow. (We don’t love it over red. *shrug*)

Lauren_L'Oreal Paris Top Coat ConfettiL’Oréal Paris Colour Riche Top Coat in The Sparklicious ($7.99, drugstores and mass retailers) hits Canadian stores next month. (How great is little Lauren as a hand model?)

Maybelline New York Color Show Polka Dots in Drops of JadeMaybelline New York Color Show Polka Dots ($3.99, drugstores and mass retailers) is a similar concept, confetti flakes in tinted and coloured polish. Above: Drops of Jade. It’s in stores now; check it out on the Maybelline New York Canada Facebook page.

Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat Textured Nail ColorThis August brings Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coats Textured Nail Colour ($7.95, drugstores and mass retailers; sallyhansen.com for info). Coloured bits in clear polish, the idea isn’t entirely new; I know we’ve seen similar finishes from a couple of nail polish brands in the past (anyone remember specifics?).

Sally Hansen Fuzzy Coat_one coatI’ve used it like a top coat over my gel mani. From left: Tweedy, Wool Knot, Wool Lite, All Yarned Up. It occurs to me that I should have tried several coats to see how it looks as a solid. #nexttime. Like this they look like cupcake sprinkles. Aaaand now I want a cupcake. Sheesh.

Sally Hansen_Fuzzy Coat_Textured Nail PolishWhat’s your take on these L’Oréal Paris, Maybelline New York and Sally Hansen textured nail finishes? How do they compare in your opinion to, say, Essie Luxeffects and Revlon flakies? And OPI Liquid Sand?

Best Blue Nail Polish for Summer 2013
8 July 2013 at 7:43 am
Revlon Nail Art Sun Candy, Nail Art Shiny Matte, and Graffiti Top Coat
5 December 2013 at 4:14 am

Rita J 13 June 2013 at 7:36 pm

I love the look. I tried liquid sand by OPI I would love to try this texture also.

Emily 14 June 2013 at 8:55 am

The Sally Hansen ones remind me of recent Zoya Holiday polishes – the Gems & Jewels collection had 3 polishes with those bar glitters.

YouLookHotToday 14 June 2013 at 9:26 am

I had a bunch of Nicole product go through my hands I want to say around January 2013. It was winter and it was cold outside. I recollect because I was wearing a white gel polish (to match the snow) when the collection came – I tried all the sparkly stuff out over that white and everything looked like ice cream with sprinkles. I believe it was the massive Nicole: Selena Gomez collection – it had lots of funky glitter polishes. There were polishes with glitter dots and polishes with little cupcake sprinkles. That’s what the polishes you’ve featured here remind me of.

I have yet to try the SH Fuzzy Coats but I do enjoy the confetti-ish result. Probably not so fun to remove though, huh?

The L’Oreal Sparklicious is massively appealing to me. I like the tiny size of the confetti. Some of the OPI and Nicole confetti bits are too big and somewhat inflexible so they end up popping off and leaving a dead space in the glitter coat. I hate that.

OPI Liquid Sand is a totally different kind of thing – it’s not so much a glitter coat as it is a fully textured polish. I think there are some shades of Liquid Sand that hit all age ranges of nail polishers but I don’t think this confetti trend will stick with the over-35 crowd. Maybe that Sparklicious will break through though… it’s kind of great. How soon can I get my nails in it?

Janine 17 June 2013 at 8:34 am

Actually, You, you’re right — Sparklicious is a bit of a pain to remove. It calls for the foil method for sure. As for how soon you can get your hands on it, I’d say soon. *grin*

Desirée 14 June 2013 at 11:00 am

The Sally Hansen Fuzzy coat polishes are similar to the Nails Inc. Feather Effects polishes, but cheaper!!

And, just cause it was mentioned, I love the Liquid Sand/ Pixie Dust (Zoya) polishes…. honestly, they dry quickly, don’t need a top coat and patching them takes mere moments and is indistinguishable! Fantastic!

Wynne 14 June 2013 at 12:46 pm

Your nieces are so lucky to have such a cool aunt like you and to have so many beauty resources too! I only had my older brother dressing me up like a geisha.

Janine 17 June 2013 at 8:32 am

Re: your older brother dressing you up… *giggle*

Ange 17 June 2013 at 12:30 pm

Erin and Lauren are awesome hand/nail models… and are very lucky to have you as their auntie!

I think both my nieces would love all those top coats but for me, The Sparklicious is the only one I would try if I were to try any.

Janine 24 June 2013 at 10:09 am

Confetti/Sparklicious is so good!

Pri 17 June 2013 at 2:38 pm

If I were a marketing honcho at Disney/Pixar, I would’ve tied the fuzzy coat line to the upcoming Monsters Inc. sequel. That blue shade second from the right in the picture, beside the pink one on the end, reminds me of Sully.

Janine 18 June 2013 at 6:10 am

Yes! Agreed!

YouLookHotToday 23 June 2013 at 2:41 pm

L’Oreal Top Coat Confettis (Sparklicious) = Winner! I dig it. Lotsa people who have seen the sneak peak I’m sporting also love it.

The bottle itself is quite unremarkable. If I hadn’t seen the image of Lauren’s multi-coloured manicure up there, I would have had no idea that this bottle and that result came from one place. In fact, if someone had handed me the bottle and said “try this, I think you’ll like it”, I would have questioned their sanity and possibly wondered if they’d ever met me before. In the bottle, it doesn’t even look like something I’d try. The pictures of little manicures up there, however, made all the difference.

It looks pretty special over fuchsia. Next up, maybe turquoise! Wheeee!!!!

Janine 24 June 2013 at 10:10 am

I knew you’d love it, You! Can’t wait to see it over turquoise — so striking. And of course I love it on the nieces, too. Such cute little mani models!