Hair Apparent: An Anti-Aging Haircare Line Fattens Up My Hair — Yours, Too?

by Janine on 4 March 2013 · 62 comments

Burberry_Spring 2013There’s a teensy downside to hanging out with my 11-year-old niece Erin. She has long hair so thick I can barely gather it in a ponytail with one hand. As she gets older, that wonderful hair will become a siren’s song for many, and the focus of acute envy for others. And I hate to admit it, but not long ago, a little green monster quietly began knocking on my noggin. My own ponytail feels thinner than it did before I tripped over 40.

Photo by Darren Goldstein/DSG Photo.Envying my young niece is uncool, though. The Universe seems to agree: just as I’ve recognized my spark of covetousness, an unexpected solution has appeared in the shape of Pantene AgeDefy shampoo and conditioner, Pantene AgeDefy Advanced Thickening Treatment, and a test run at Shagg Salon via stylist and co-owner Justin German. (He’s also Canada’s Pantene Pro-V Consulting Stylist.)

Photo by Darren Goldstein/DSG Photo.Pantene AgeDefy seems pretty neat, especially for fragile hair. According to Justin, the shampoo and conditioner work in tandem to cleanse gently, hydrate, and surround each strand with weightless polymers that protect against damage, add shine, and improve manageability (behave, rebellious greys!). The AgeDefy Advanced Thickening Treatment, which Justin applied at the roots of my wet hair then combed through, conditions too, and actually slightly fattens each strand. The lineup also includes an AgeDefy Rejuvenating Hydration Masque for more intense conditioning.

Photo by Darren Goldstein/DSG Photo.I felt a difference immediately after Justin finished the blowdry (one of my best ever, thanks Justin!). My hair felt better. Clean. Light. A fraction thicker than before. Not like something was in it, though. Just maybe more like the hair I remembered having. [UPDATE: Sounds like wishful thinking, but in fact, I continued to use the products at home, on a trip to Paris, and at home again, and my hair absolutely felt better and fuller still.] I noticed something else over the course of the next three days: my blowout maintained swing and bounce instead of going flat and limp on day two.

Although I’m still a little wistful when I see Erin’s amazing mass of hair — she has so much! — I feel significantly less concerned about my own. Pantene AgeDefy is moving into my shower and coming with me any time I book a blowdry, whether at Shagg or Blo.

Pantene AgeDefyWant to see if Pantene AgeDefy works for you, too? Pantene wants to give up to 25 Beautygeeks a chance to try AgeDefy and report back below on their results.

If you’re a resident of Canada, and a Beautygeeks subscriber (click here if you aren’t yet), apply here by midnight March 17 for a free review-sample collection to try at home.

Oh, and for your own peace of mind, don’t compare yourself to anyone 30+ years younger than you are.

This is a sponsored post. Salon photographs by Darren Goldstein/DSG Photo. Product images courtesy of Pantene. Backstage image, Burberry Spring 2013.

{ 1 trackback }

et tu and you » Pantene makes me take off my skeptic hat. AGAIN. Review of Pantene’s Age Defy shampoo, conditioner, and treatment! | News
12 September 2013 at 9:15 pm

Anonymous 4 March 2013 at 10:40 am

Could you tell me what red lipstick is the asian model wearing in this? Looks lovely!

Janine 4 March 2013 at 11:49 am

It’s really a gorgeous red, isn’t it? It’s Burberry Lip Velvet lipstick in Siren Red; am checking for you on whether it’s available yet. :-)

Janine 12 March 2013 at 1:55 am

Update: “Siren red” is merely a description of a blend of reds Burberry used for their catwalk mouth. Here’s how to copy the look:

– Define the lips with Burberry lip pencil in Brick Red No. 05
– Apply Burberry Lip Velvet Lipstick in Bright Poppy No. 311
– Dab Burberry Lip Velvet Lipstick in Military Red No. 310 on the centre of your lips.

Cheers!

A 7 November 2013 at 2:59 am

Hi! How did you find this out? I’ve been searching everywhere for details about the Siren Red catwalk look from Burberry, but this is the only place that has a breakdown.

Janine 7 November 2013 at 7:39 am

I went looking for a Siren Red lipstick release date and checked every backstage beauty interview with the make-up artist, but something didn’t seem right. So I asked the Burberry PR in Canada for specifics. Et violà :-)

Gaëlle 4 March 2013 at 2:00 pm

What??? That’s not possible. Janine, you’re not 40. That just doesn’t make sense. I’ve been reading you now for more than a year and I never thought you were more than 35 (and a young looking 35 that is).
I’m not writing it to sound nice or anything, but your skin looks so young! So, I know that you write about sunscreens, face creams, … all the time, but could you possibly write a post with your top anti-aging tips, and I will live by them for the rest of my life?

Janine 4 March 2013 at 2:06 pm

I love you Gaëlle! I’ll be tripping over my 45th birthday in August, actually. Not sure how I feel about that — erk. But I’m grateful for having half-Asian combination skin — oily skin holds up. And yes, okay, I’ll write about my top anti-aging tips :-) xoxo

Gaëlle 4 March 2013 at 4:03 pm

What, almost 45? That’s it, I’m not afraid of aging anymore as I now see I can continue to look great. Especially with your tips! I’ll be awaiting them!

Lisa F. 4 March 2013 at 2:38 pm

Hey Janine, I second that vote. Top anti-aging tips, please!

Janine 4 March 2013 at 11:01 pm

Happy to oblige; stay tuned :-)

Natasha 4 March 2013 at 6:51 pm

Janine, I seriously thought you were in your 30′s. No matter what your age is, you’re a beauty!

Janine 4 March 2013 at 11:01 pm

Too kind, Natasha! And thank you :-) xo

Shivani Conway 5 March 2013 at 3:35 pm

Hi Janine,

Long time lurker, first time commenter. You’re how old??? I don’t believe it. I’ve always thought you were in your late 20′s, maybe 30′s. Well done, you!

Janine 6 March 2013 at 11:26 am

Tee hee! Thank you for your first comment, Shivani! And for the lovely compliment! xo

Beauty Reflections 5 March 2013 at 8:59 pm

DUDE your hair is like WOW. LOVE LOVE LOVE. Me-I’ve decided to let the grey take over! It’s kind of freeing and I’m really loving it as it grows out. BUT the texture is SO DIFFERENT!! Finding it hard to style now! I’d adore you even more (if that’s even possible )if you could do a post for us grey haired chicks and the products we need to looks good! ;)

Janine 6 March 2013 at 11:46 am

Thanks, lovely! Justin’s blowout was one of the best ever. It seems to have hidden my silver highlights in the After photograph! My hair wasn’t coloured — it’s been a couple of years since I had that done, and there isn’t any dye left in my hair because I only do demi-permanent (in a shade lighter than my hair so I don’t change my natural colour) so it fades out without leaving roots.

You’re right about the texture of grey being a challenge. The few I have like to wave at people across the street. Our Liza Herz knows well how rebellious grey hair can be, and has written about it too. Here’s her piece on the challenges of grey and styling it: http://bit.ly/13FsWAL

And I know you read this one — yours is the first comment! http://bit.ly/Hv0rLT

Liza is a fan of this hair care line, too. (Did you sign up to try it?) With continued use, it helps make wiry greys behave a bit better. She has a story coming out in The Kit soon, as well; I’ll make sure I link to it from Beautygeeks.

And of course we can do more stories for you! xoxoxo

Lisa F. 6 March 2013 at 2:59 pm

Janine. Love the wrap watch, Parisian-influenced striped shirt, and your smile! This blog should be called Happy Beautygeeks. That is, except for Cranky’s posts. But hey, we all need to vent now & then…..

Janine 6 March 2013 at 3:15 pm

You just made my day with that “Happy Beautygeeks” bit, Lisa — thanks so much :-) And too true re: Cranky. She balances my grinny way, and makes us laugh, besides.

Donna Vitan 7 March 2013 at 3:04 pm

My mum’s always told me to moisturize to keep my skin soft and healthy but nothing about taking care with my hair. I really want to have long hair when I reach my senior years. I want to be a tiny Asian grandma with long white hair. :) So I guess I’ll have to take extra care of my locks right away!

Janine 7 March 2013 at 3:40 pm

Smart mum when it comes to skin, Donna! And really, healthy hair is partly about moisture, too. An occasional deep conditioning treatment is nice, and regular trims to avoid split ends from zooming up the hair shaft. If your hair’s starting to feel a little thinner than your remember, then it’s definitely time to try Pantene AgeDefy!

Naddy 11 March 2013 at 11:05 am

Three cheers for melanin! ;)

Louise 17 March 2013 at 11:11 am

I realized I needed help when I, too, started feeling pangs of unhealthy jealousy towards my daughter’s friends’ tresses. Thanks for a great giveaway!

KittyPride 17 March 2013 at 1:20 pm

Age defying hair products sound great to me! You are fabulous!

Andrea Claire 17 March 2013 at 8:44 pm

I don’t want to get on Cranky Beauty Pants’ bad side by being a crusty know-it-all hairstylist but… [I love big buts]

What about the follicle? Because with aging hair it’s the follicles that are the culprits. Or is this just superficially thickening with the hair shaft?

x
AC

Janine 17 March 2013 at 9:27 pm

Hah ha! Cranky loves a good crank session! Even more, she loves a really, really good question.

Yes, that’s right — the formula artificially thickens the hair shaft by wrapping it with polymers to add diameter to each strand. (Salon brand Nioxin has a similar treatment; Nioxin is owned by P&G.)

I used it for a month; it never felt like there was build-up on my hair, so the polymers are crazy light. Of course, the other benefits of subtly coating the hair include 1) a little damage protection, and 2) overall smoother, shinier, more supple and more controllable hair — which makes it feel and behave as it used to.

xo

Andrea Claire 17 March 2013 at 9:41 pm

*whew!* Still friends then? ;)

Is AgeDefy supposed to be your new regimen for aging hair or a treatment system to use for say 3 months and then go back to your regular maintenance routine? Then perhaps to use again if the hair feels weaker and aged for another course of treatment?

Janine 17 March 2013 at 9:58 pm

Are you kidding me? Always! That you and I geek out about cosmetic-tech details like this makes us sistahs!

AgeDefy is designed as a daily routine, plus a periodic deep-conditioning treatment. (A three-month treatment kit from the drugstore would be a tougher sell, wouldn’t it?)

Andrea Claire 17 March 2013 at 10:22 pm

I think that wraps up my Q&A. ;)

I’m not sure if a three month kit would be a tougher sell – we all replenish our shampoo & conditioners so after 3 months you replenish but I guess sales wouldn’t be consistent for the brand then.

xo

Thanks!

Min 18 March 2013 at 9:44 am

I heard Pantene was bad for your hair due to excess build-up over time? But maybe I’m wrong?

Janine 18 March 2013 at 8:30 pm

I’m not sure I believe that, Min. Almost all haircare brands (including pro brands like MoroccanOil), not just Pantene, make products that coat the hair with silicones and/or polymers to make it smoother, shinier and more manageable, especially if the formula is designed for curly, frizzy or really damaged hair. And in recent years, chemists have found ways to make high-grade silicones and polymers lighter and lighter, and water-soluble too, precisely so build-up won’t become an issue.

Sometimes build-up is down to how the person uses the product. I once knew a girl who never rinsed conditioner completely out of her hair because she thought that was the way to use it (her hair looked dull and lifeless because of that). Build-up can also be the result of heavy use of styling-products, such as gel, mousse, styling cream, and hairspray, that can require a little extra elbow-grease to wash out.

I use mostly drugstore brands myself, including Pantene, and haven’t had build-up problems. I’ve occasionally tried damage-correcting formulas that wound up being too heavy for my hair, but all I had to do was switch to something more me-appropriate to solve the problem in one hairwashing session.

Alison K. 17 April 2013 at 6:20 pm

Really digging my Pantene Pro-V AgeDefy Shampoo and Conditioner. The shampoo is especially rich and lathery (that’s a word, right?) — just a dab will do ya. And in combination with their Advanced Thickening Treatment? Truly, my super-thin strands of hair are now looking and feeling stronger and fuller than in years….and all this in just a week or so. Finally…products that do as they claim. Neat. Thanks a bunch!

Janine 18 April 2013 at 11:35 am

I’m so pleased your enjoyment has inspired early feedback, Alison! AgeDefy is pretty impressive stuff, isn’t it? Can’t wait for your details!

Susan S 21 April 2013 at 9:35 am

I love, love, love these products!!! My hair feels silkier and has way more volume. I particularly like the thickening treatment but feel it works best on wet hair.

I didn’t realize I had a hair appointment during this trial period so caused quite a stir in the salon when I brought these products out for my stylist to use on me. The other stylists immediately came over and wanted to see what I had. They came over afterward too to touch my hair and all agreed that it indeed had more body and shine.

Thank you so, Janine, for including me in this trial! I noticed yesterday that RCSS had a small trial pack of the three products available for those wishing to try it. I will definitely be buying these products from now on and will be telling all who will listen about them.

Janine 21 April 2013 at 12:46 pm

I’m so pleased you could participate, Susan — thanks for your evaluation! I love that you took them to the salon with you; I do that too! I particularly love that the other stylists at your salon weighed in, and got to see first-hand that they work for you!

Meredith 21 April 2013 at 12:40 pm

I love this collection! My ‘stand out’ product is the thickening treatment. I felt that this product made a huge difference in the fullness of my hair after using it for 2 weeks (and following the instructions-so make sure you read the pamphlet enclosed). I am going to recommend this to my sister and mother who both have fine hair and could use a boost!

Janine 21 April 2013 at 12:49 pm

I so appreciate your note about reading the instructions, Meredith! Using the regimen properly delivers the best results.

Am also pleased that you love the collection enough to have done such a thorough review + video on your own site! (Here’s a link for anyone that wants to know more: http://bit.ly/11snuhJ)

My favourite part of your video is where you admit to having been apprehensive about using the Thickening Treatment in addition to your styling products (and I know you love styling products!), then tell readers how it worked with everything you use. What a great detail!

Trista 21 April 2013 at 12:40 pm

After using the Pantene Expert Series AgeDefy for a few weeks now, I can honestly say I notice a big difference in my hair. I have very fine hair, that for some reason ends up frizzing up all the time. If I happen to use an anti-frizz shampoo, it generally coats my hair and makes it lifeless. Not fair, right? Usually fine hair is smooth, but not on this girl. The Pantene AgeDefy smoothed out my hair and left it soft and silky, but still gave me volume. Also, it didn’t leave my hair feeling “coated” or greasy. It’s a fine line you walk when trying to increase volume on fine hair, Pantene has managed to do that here!

I especially loved the conditioner! It smelled delicious and worked wonders on my hair – I haven’t had to use an additional deep conditioner since I started using these products. Although, the AgeDefy Thickening Treatment was a close second. It managed to do what it promised without weighing down my hair or making it feel too sticky. We all know those products, right? They promise thickening but you can’t get your fingers through your hair after using them. This product leaves no buildup and leaves your hair thicker, but without the sticky residue.

I am absolutely adding these products into my full time routine and have suggested to friends far and wide that they do the same. Thanks for allowing me to take part in this trial! These products are game changers!

Janine 21 April 2013 at 1:07 pm

Thanks so much for your evaluation, Trista — wonderfully detailed! I’m particularly taken by your note about not needed a deep conditioner now. That’s a money-saving bonus!

Meghan 21 April 2013 at 12:44 pm

I have always had fine and thin hair and as I got older, it got more fine and thin. I have had to use extensions for volume the last few years in order to have any kind of style at all. My hair salon convinced me to try a very expensive thickening product and I tried it for six months. It changed the texture of my hair and I didn’t enjoy using the product and stopped using it altogether. I thought I would have to give up the fight against thinning hair until trying Pantene Age-Defy! I was able to feel the thickening effect immediately after the first use and it improved the texture of my hair. Yippee! It is the best of both worlds – thickening and silky hair. My extensions like it too! :-)
The best part is that Pantene Age Defy is a fraction of the cost of the expensive salon product that left my hair crunchy and unmanageable. I am definitely a fan and my favourite product in the line is the conditioner. As soon as I put it on my hair, I can feel that it is going to leave it soft without dulling my hair. The thickening effect gives volume while the conditioner softens. I am committed to this product!

Janine 21 April 2013 at 1:12 pm

I think my favourite part of your comment, lovely, is that AgeDefy gives you something an expensive salon product couldn’t. So many people unfamiliar with Pantene are quick to slag the brand because it’s “drugstore.” I’ve seen the labs in Cincinnati, seen the extensive equipment they use to test everything thoroughly, and interviewed so many of their scientists — that’s some serious technology in AgeDefy. And the proof is in the using. I’m so glad you have a new solution!

Victoria 21 April 2013 at 3:15 pm

This collection is amazing I truly love it, it leaves my hair feeling so soft and shiny and smelling wonderful! The packaging is just gorgeous very eye catching, the conditioner would have to be my favourite because I found that it really helped my hair as before I started using Pantene agedefy my hair was constantly getting tangled and knotted and it felt so dry but after using the agedefy my hair feels great! No more knots and tangles I’m so happy with that, this is now my go to product!

The thickening treatment I really didn’t like as it made my head itch after applying :-( maybe I put too much? But I did notice it gave me volume, I will pass this product to my mother as she has very thin hair so I hope she can get some use out of the product — she would be very happy as she is constantly saying how thin her hair is and how she wishes her hair was thicker.

But for this collection, I’ll definitely be using it again! Because as I mentioned above the conditioner helped my hair so much it’s now my go to product :-) I will be recommending this collection to my friends and family as this was a good shampoo/conditioner that shouldn’t be missed, thank you for giving me the chance to try these products I appreciate it and thanks to you my hair is feeling/looking better :-)

Janine 26 April 2013 at 8:52 pm

Thanks so much for trying the line for us, Victoria! Did you try using a bit less of the thickening treatment to see whether that made an itch-difference?

Eden 21 April 2013 at 4:18 pm

I wasn’t expecting miracles from the Pantene Age Defy line but I definitely did notice a difference. I’ve tried other “medical lines” of hair care products for thinning hair and I felt the focus was on the scalp, but the products did nothing for the texture of the hair. In fact they usually leave my hair tangled and unmanageable. With the Age Defy line my hair feels softer. The true test for me was the second day – I try not to wash my hair every day, but by the second day it’s usually pretty flat. With this line I found my hair still had a bit a volume the next day. I also liked that I didn’t really need a lot of product to feel it working as I do with some products. The added bonuses being that this will make the products last longer, and my hair didn’t feel weighed down. I don’t know that I liked any one product the best – they seemed to work best together. I think I would use this as my ‘every day’ shampoo (or every other day) Thanks for letting me test it out!

Janine 26 April 2013 at 9:02 pm

I had the same volume-on-day-two experience, Eden! Made me so happy. And you’re right, you don’t need to use much to get results. That’s a bonus, given the already reasonable price tag.

Happy to have you on our testing panel for this!

Robin Whalen 21 April 2013 at 7:29 pm

I’ve been using the Age Defy products for approximately two weeks and they are incredible. Had a great ‘hair day’ right from the start. After 2 weeks, my hair feels thicker, has more body and stays looking ‘just washed’ until end of day.

Don’t have a favourite product…used them all together and they work well as a team.

I’m not sure whether it actually thickened the strand or just appeared to…but regardless, I have tried every product out there on my thin hair and this was by far the best.

I will most definitely use the product moving forward and would not hesitate to recommend it to a friend!

Janine 26 April 2013 at 9:07 pm

Yaaay! I love that you had a great hair day on day one, and that you’re getting good bounce all day long, too. Thanks so much for testing the line for us!

Linda Wiebe 21 April 2013 at 8:44 pm

Love the AgeDefy products! I’ve been having trouble styling my bangs lately, not realizing that it’s because of my hair thinning (facepalm). After just the first use, my hair felt back to “normal”. Finally a product that does what it says!

The shampoo and the conditioner do a great job. My hair feels great, and is easy to comb through, but I think it is the Thickening Treatment that is the workhorse of this collection. It gives my hair that extra oomph. To be honest, I read the directions and thought, “ugh, this is going to be tedious”, but it’s not, the directions are just detailed. I was using the Thickening Treatment on wet hair until I thought I’d try it out on my dry hair. Look out sexy hair! It was amazing! I will be using it on dry hair from now on and buying more when I run out.

I will definitely be recommending the AgeDefy collection to friends – I’ve already recommended it to a complete stranger because they were checking it out at the drugstore :)

Janine 26 April 2013 at 9:08 pm

*giggle* Love the “facepalm” bit. And I love the “look out sexy hair” bit even more! Who knew Pantene could help a woman get her sexy back? I’m going to tweet that, you know, with a link to your review. :-)

Alisa 22 April 2013 at 11:35 am

I only just started trying the Pantene Age Defying line, as I just recently received it. It gives a similar result to the spa hair products I currently use. I haven’t noticed a substantial difference yet in my hair, although it’s not really thinning yet (that I can tell), but they certainly are a decent product.
I have only tried the thickening treatment on wet hair, so might try that on dry hair. I think for my hair personally, the Pantene Age Defying line is a little more hydrating than I need. If your hair is dry, I think it will really work well for you. I prefer something a little less moisturizing. Overall, I will continue trying it to see if I get more results over time, and think it’s a pretty decent line for a drugstore brand. Thank you for the opportunity to try it!

Janine 26 April 2013 at 9:09 pm

Would love to know how it works for you after a little more time, Alisa! Have you tried conditioning just the ends rather than all over?

Anna Lee 22 April 2013 at 2:53 pm

While there are some aspects of my high school beauty regime I can definitely do without, say backcombing my bangs to new heights; if I’m told that I can restore my coif to the thicker, voluminous tresses of my teens, please, take me back today. Needless to say, I jumped at the chance to test Pantene’s Expert Collection, AgeDefy. After all if I’ve got at luminous locks a là Courteney Cox, the brand’s spokeswoman, then count me in. That said, as I lathered up the shampoo, inhaling the refreshing fruit and floral aromatic notes, I could feel the added softness, making me an instant fan of this shampoo and conditioner duo. So much so in fact, that I’ve already touted the line’s incredible features (ultra-nourishing, healthier texture) and benefits (indulgent scent) to my fellow fine-haired friends.

Alright, I’ll admit that my tresses were never really voluminous (hence the backcombing) but I will say that with my 40th birthday on the horizon I’m keen on restoring my hair’s natural smooth texture and fullness. Less than three weeks after my initial use of the AgeDefy Thickening Treatment, I’m pleased to say there’s definitely more bounce, not to mention shine, in my chin-length bob. In fact this product has a silky texture that lends a healthy, youthful feel to your hair while adding the volume that’s essential for styling super-straight, fine hair like mine. Although some might scoff at the notion of working the Thickening Treatment into your scalp (Who has the time?) you’ll find that you’re hair is not only more manageable, but you’ll feel like you’ve got more of it. In fact, you’ll save time on perfecting your style, simply because you’ll find that your hair will virtually fall right into place. I’m not kidding. What’s even more impressive? With a few quick sprays of water and a short blast from my blow dryer I was able to reactivate the thickening treatment’s formula even after an early morning run the next day.

Although I found that the products were gentle enough for daily use even on my highlights, knowing that skipping out on a wash wasn’t critical to having salon-worthy style gave me a little extra time on the days when I needed it. As a working mom of two, discovering that Pantene’s Expert Collection, AgeDefy will outlast my fast-paced lifestyle without compromising my inner beauty geek means that it has quickly become an integral part of my regular rotation.

Janine 26 April 2013 at 9:14 pm

Thanks so much for the time tip, Anna — good advice. Am also caught by the revival process via a spray of water and blasting with the blowdryer. Must try!

aichin 22 April 2013 at 3:14 pm

Finally! I feel that the Pantene AgeDefy shampoo and conditioner does the trick. Gives me a more refreshing, livelier and fuller look. Makes me feel happy :)

The advanced thickening treatment is also great. I don’t apply much just a little bit and it goes a long way. And my hair smells great too.

Thank You for giving me the opportunity to try the products, couldn’t be more happier. Will definitely recommend it to my family and friends and i’m positive they will love it too.

Janine 26 April 2013 at 9:16 pm

Thank YOU for reviewing the line for us! I’m so chuffed at how well it seems to work for everyone who wants that thickening boost.

Charis 22 April 2013 at 9:28 pm

I’ve been using the AgeDefy products for approximately two weeks now, and I love them. My hair hasn’t felt like this since before I had kids. I found that my favourite product was the conditioner. Usually I’m reluctant about using most conditioners as they tend to weigh down my hair, but with the Pantene Expert AgeDefy collection, I have bounce, bounce, and more bounce. Having commented on my favourite product, I must say that the AgeDefy Thickening Treatment was a bit of a disappointment. It seemed too heavy for my hair type and it felt like I had too much product in my hair. I’ll definitely keep the shampoo and conditioner in my repertoire, after all it feels great to have my twenty-something hair back!

Janine 26 April 2013 at 9:17 pm

Wow, that’s quite the statement, re: the time before kids!

Have you tried using a light application of the thickening treatment? A common thread in these reviews is that it doesn’t take much to get results.

Stephanie Montreuil 23 April 2013 at 9:09 am

I have been using the AgeDefy line for a few weeks now and I really like it. As others have noted, the formula is really rich and it really does moisturize your hair. As a fan of hair colouring, my hair has seen better days, using this product really made it feel like my hair was healthier & less frizzy.

While the scent of this line is pleasant, it really hit me that it was definitely geared to an older audience, but it doesn’t linger so this wasn’t an issue. And as mentioned, it’s a lovely smell, just different :)

I did use the AgeDefy Thickening Treatment a few times, but as someone who has really thick and full hair, I couldn’t notice a difference. But in the product’s defence, this particular product is not geared towards me. I didn’t find it weighed my hair down, but as per above I have really thick, full hair.

All around I am very happy with the shampoo & conditioner & grateful for the opportunity to try it out :)

Janine 26 April 2013 at 9:20 pm

I’m surprised you wanted to test this, Stephanie, given that it’s geared toward women who want thicker, fuller hair. It’s definitely not something you need. I can see how it would reduce frizziness, though — the formula is designed to coat the hair lightly, which would result in a bump in smoothness.

Thanks for your review!

Bobbie Rapp 4 May 2013 at 9:11 am

I have old hair that is bgining to thin, also I recently got a perm and my hair is like hay. I would like to try the age defy products but don’t want
to add more to my vast collection of hair products. Is it necessary to add mousse or gel to set hair after the hair thinkening? I do not use a blow dryer

Janine 7 May 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi Bobbie,

Are you using your vast collection of hair products? It doesn’t sound like what you’re using is working for you.

The Thickening Treatment isn’t a styling treatment, so if you want to set your hair, you’ll still need to use mousse or gel. But if you use the Thickening Treatment for a while, you’ll start to notice you get better results from your styling products, at least where volume is concerned.

The Pantene Age Defy collection also includes a Rejuvenation Hydration Mask, which should make your hair feel less dry.

Does that help?

Ann 5 November 2013 at 4:16 am

Has anyone found that Pantene Age Defy turns nails slightly yellow after using?