F is for Flow: Are You Team Cup or Team No-Freaking-Way?

by Janine on 8 February 2013 · 19 comments

tampon vs mooncup rap battle stillI’m not sure where the compliments are in this particular topic, but that’s not really ever stopped me from posting about things that interest me that I think might interest you, too. *shrug* Right now I’m interested in this cup vs tampon thing when it comes to our monthlies, and this video I spotted on a friend’s FB page is the reason.

I don’t know much about menstrual cups — the concept has always icked me out too much to investigate (even typing out the term is making me feel… greebly). But this video rap-off (nothing icky to see, thank goodness) is making me re-think.

Where do you land on this? Cup? Tampon? Pad? Icky? Enviro-plus? TMI?

Update: want another thought trigger? See the first comment below… #crotchrot

A brand called DivaCup is available in Canada; DivaCup Model 1 (under 30) and DivaCup Model 2 (30+) are $39.99 each via well.ca.

paiiige 8 February 2013 at 1:36 pm

Here’s what my doctor said to me that made me 100% team cup:
“Well, the cotton from tampons can sometimes shed and stay inside you and rot.”

ROT.

Janine 8 February 2013 at 1:44 pm

So… crotch-rot is a real thing?? Whoa.

WHOA.

Perilously Pale 8 February 2013 at 2:21 pm

That was a GREAT video! LOL Like you I hadn’t given them much thought because they icked me out too but that makes so much sense. Plus I hate near the end of my cycle using tampons and discovering you really didn’t need to. Just spent all that time sucking the natural moisture out of my body. And shedding cotton and rotting? OMG! I will have to think more on this! Thanks!

S 10 February 2013 at 2:33 pm

Try it! Really, it’s your body it isn’t icky and gross :)

I love using a period cup, and they bleach tampons! Bleach!
Read this to anwser any questions you might have

Kelly G. 8 February 2013 at 8:05 pm

I love that rap. And I am icked out by tampons, but is the cup like a diaphragm with a um, funnel? And could men just get their periods once. Just once so they’d know how irritating it is.

Janine 8 February 2013 at 8:25 pm

I’m just starting to learn stuff (thanks to Paige’s comment — erk!), and know zip about diaphragms… *shrug* So far have checked out DivaCups on well.ca; having a look at the UK-available MoonCups, too just because. Still discombobulated about the whole thing!

I think you’re letting guys off the hook with just one go-around.

Lindsay 8 February 2013 at 8:32 pm

I was quite loyal to the cup in university. On the plus side, you can leave it in for days. On the minus side, it kinda, um, feels like it’s sucking out your insides on the way out. Not that pleasant.

Janine 8 February 2013 at 8:34 pm

I still can’t believe I’m actually discussing this and am seriously considering it. I wonder if the removal pressure might be relieved via frequent changes? (ack — what a question)

Rae Chen 8 February 2013 at 11:26 pm

Uh…. you are definitely not supposed to leave your cup in for more than 12 hours at a time D: (No reported cases of TSS with them, but the safety warnings all recommend it anyways!) I feel like maybe the extended wear was clogging the holes along the rim of your cup, and that’s why the suction wasn’t breaking properly?

Just a thought! :) I have super (seriously, SUPER) heavy periods, so my cup is a pretty big part of my life. Couldn’t live without it, at this point!

Stokely 9 February 2013 at 2:23 pm

OK, true story: Last year I had to go to emergency to have my Diva Cup pulled out for me because I had trimmed my fingernails too short after inserting it, and I could not grasp the tail later on for removal. EMERGENCY! The doc threw it out or something so I will have to buy a new one eventually. That said, DC isn’t bad. I’m not a fan but it’s sort of the best of a bunch of unpleasant options.

Maven 10 February 2013 at 9:11 am

I have to ask – what about… spillage issues?

Janine 10 February 2013 at 12:46 pm

Good question — can’t deny I’ve been wondering about that myself. *shudder*

S 10 February 2013 at 2:32 pm

Not a problem at all, never had it happen and you can have it in for 12 hours a the time. So easy, just change it in the shower and you’re good for the whole day.

S 10 February 2013 at 2:31 pm

I really think theres something wrong with society if we can’t talk openly about our bodies. Nothing gross about it.

I love using a period cup, and they bleach tampons! Bleach!
Read this to anwser any questions you might have

Liz 12 February 2013 at 11:13 am

I used a diva cup for a while pre pregnancy and really liked it. I never had leakage issues and like S said, the shower is the easiest place to insert/remove it. The only thing I noticed was that the pressure from it made it kind of hard to pee while it was in. Very similar feeling to being pregnant and baby pushing on your bladder. Every woman is shaped differently though so my advice is to just try it and see how you like it. Think about how much waste women produce every month from disposable tampons and pads, it’s really a shame that cups aren’t a more mainstream thing.

Jessica C 15 February 2013 at 9:27 am

I love my cup! My period is shorter (some of the chemicals in tampons can make you bleed heavier), way less cramping, and I only have to think about it twice a day! I had a diva, and liked it okay, but I now use a Lunette (shorter, softer, smoother) and I will never go back to pads and tampons. It’s soooooo much cleaner! No mess like with pads, no dryness like with tampons, I cannot say enough about cups.

Oh, and for the PP that had issues with pressure, maybe try a smaller cup!

Janine 15 February 2013 at 11:58 pm

So… size matters?

Meg 15 February 2013 at 4:56 pm

Another DivaCup fan here! I change it at least twice a day – just before bedtime and when I wake up in the morning. I’ve never had issues with taking it out (though that does take practise!) or any leakage. The only problem for me is that I need to stop using it after a few days and switch to pads because my ladyparts get sore. I have weird nerve pain issues in that region, though, and if I didn’t, I’d use my DivaCup through my whole period instead of stopping partway. I think you can even buy disposable ones now if you’d like to give it a try before investing $40 in a reusable cup.

Janine 15 February 2013 at 11:59 pm

Ooh, good tip re: trying disposables first! Thanks, Meg!