The Flip-Top, Push-Down Lid: A Packaging Trend? (Yes, Please!)

by Janine on 6 February 2013 · 10 comments

The Flip-Top Lid_The Flip-Top HeadI keep thinking about this old Reach toothbrush commercial, the one that suggests “a flip-top head” as the alternative to the brand’s toothbrush. Here, let me refresh your memory (if you’re old enough to remember the ad at all):

If you’ve been to a nail salon ever, you’ve probably noticed the handy push-down dispenser on the tabletop nail-polish-remover bottles.

new Bioderma cleanser lidYour nail pro grabs a cotton pad, pushes it down on top of the dispenser and presto — a remover-soaked pad. Fast. No fussing with screw-top lids. Efficient.

Flip-top lids_Annabelle_Bioderma_Joe FreshPush-type dispensers are starting to show up on drugstore shelves, on bottles of Bioderma Micelle Cleanser, Annabelle’s new Eye Makeup Remover, Joe Fresh Nail Polish Remover and Joe Fresh Eye Makeup Remover.

I don’t know about you, but I’m pleased to see more of these. Bioderma Micelle Cleanser is a staple in my routine; the flip-up, push-down dispenser top (is there a better term for them?) just makes my life a teensy bit easier. The way a flip-top head would make brushing one’s back teeth easier.

Have you noticed these lids? Are there others out there?

{ 1 trackback }

Bedside Beauty: It's Okay to Go to Bed with Makeup On - BeautyGeeks
7 December 2013 at 3:42 am

Natasha 6 February 2013 at 9:33 am

I love these! I always saw them at the Sephora side counters where you could use make up remover to take off the thousands of products you just put all over yourself and I always wished they would start putting it on everything! So excited!!!

Janine 6 February 2013 at 10:10 am

Yes, that’s right! The Sephora cleanser stations have them! Sephora should stock and sell those bottles.

Naddy 6 February 2013 at 11:54 am

I also had only seen them at Sephora cleanser stations. Although the last time I was at the one in the Eaton Centre, they had replaced them with big squirt bottles with long tubes (not a fan).

Janine 6 February 2013 at 12:08 pm

Oh wait — I spotted those last time, too. A bit harder to control, those long-tube squeezy things. (There’s an off-colour joke in there somewhere, I just know it.)

Lisa 6 February 2013 at 12:16 pm

Do you happen to know if the bioderma, joe fresh and annabelle bottles are refillable?

Janine 6 February 2013 at 12:44 pm

Great question, Lisa! They are indeed — I’ve been refilling my Bioderma bottle.

Ferney 6 February 2013 at 1:54 pm

I have tried a couple of nail-polish removers with these caps. I actually went back to the old-style ones as I usually squirted it everywhere (possibly pumping to vigorously?!).

Avène has also changed their packaging – their cleansers and creams now have a little nozzle on the lid which extends out – this is more to do with sterile packaging (to prevent air and bacteria coming in contact with the product) but I also find it less messy.

Janine 6 February 2013 at 2:20 pm

You do need to have your cotton pad squarely on top of the dispenser to avoid an accidental spray-everywhere, that’s true!

That change in Avène’s packaging sounds like a good move. Must check it out. Thanks!

Asbv 11 February 2013 at 10:56 am

Sephora started carrying their make up remover water with this dispenser, I also saw the bottles for purchase where they display the brushes and accessories