Cranky Beauty Pants: Good Goth, Claire Danes — Golden Globes vs SAGs 2013

by Cranky B. Pants on 29 January 2013 · 7 comments

Claire Danes_Golden Globes_SAG Awards_2013_makeupClaire Danes rocked the Golden Globes red carpet two weeks ago and everyone freaked out about how good the mother of a four-week old baby looked for her first post-baby red carpet appearance.

What a difference two weeks can make. Her SAG look was well, saggy. She looked like the mother of a six-week old baby who had to go to a party. Which she is.

Claire Danes_Golden Globes_SAG Awards_2013It’s okay if we have a six-week old baby and look like death stuffed into Spanx, but with all the help she has, should this have happened?

Claire Danes_SAGs_2013I feel like a good makeup artist would have cautioned against the harsh lip if she was already looking pale and feeling tired. Against the black gown, it really washes her out and makes it look like she’s going through a very late-in-life goth stage.

Claire Danes SAG Awards 2009Perhaps this hair and makeup from the 2009 SAGs might have been fresher for a tired new mom.

Do you have thoughts?

Christine 29 January 2013 at 9:35 am

Lordy. You can really see when someone has a “glam squad” (loathe that term. Really really loathe it.) that goes for interesting and unique instead of making their client look pretty. What’s wrong with pretty?

So Claire, repeat after me: “Just because something is the trend, doesn’t mean it will work on me. Just because something is the trend, doesn’t mean it will work on me.”

Oh, and if you’re a tired new mom, stay away from an eggplant lip. It makes your lips thinner (who wants that?) and emphasizes any darkness or sallowness on your face. What’s wrong with dewy? Fresh?

On a positive note, your hair looks really really nice.

Janine 29 January 2013 at 4:05 pm

I really liked Claire’s SAG Awards hair this year, too! I’m on the fence about the lip. Could be the lighting in the photo, but maybe with less eye shadow…? And lip primer.

Tania 30 January 2013 at 3:44 pm

I actually like her SAG award, I think she looks fresher than she looked at the GG’s.
Although I will agree on the lipstick, not a fan of either….

Ma Manqing 31 January 2013 at 9:42 am

Totally agree~Actually I think she looked much younger~

Tania 30 January 2013 at 3:45 pm

P.S. Love Cranky !!

Janine 30 January 2013 at 7:15 pm

We love Cranky too! And I’m more on your side of the fence re: Claire’s SAG Awards look — the intensity of the eye shadow on her brow bones is the only bit I’m not into.

Ma Manqing 31 January 2013 at 9:40 am

OK from a Asian’s point of view I think the SAG look is way better than this year’s Golden Globe. And so do people around me who’s also Asian. Is it some kind of cultural difference lol…

Though there’re voices of disagreement on the color of the lip, you have to admit it goes with the dress, which is absolutely perfect. I always love half-shoulder, and black and white?Come on, no one could say no to that~ Actually Claire Danes looks unique and kinda mysterious charming in cold colors like dark blue, green, which match the eyes. And she’d better never try smoky eyes.