Kitchen-Sink Beauty: Jumpy Claps and a Fresh Squeeze While Doing Dishes *wink*

by Liza Herz on 26 November 2012 · 30 comments

Interior designers love to say “doorknobs are jewelry for your house.” Beautygeeks believe “dish liquid is perfume for your sink.”

Seriously. If you’re a real beautygeek, how can you love this fragrance, loathe that one, or be super-sensitive to even the tiniest added drop of vanilla only to abandon your aesthetic when you hit the kitchen?

You can’t.

Cheap dish liquid smells so sad and institutional (think: prison kitchen) it should not be allowed into your home. Even the mainstream stuff ricochets between unremarkable meh and weird attempts at something creative, all “Sea-Breeze” this, “Fresh-Meadow” that. They try for clean, they get institutional. They try for complex and the result is “bad gift-shop candle.”

I’ve been lugging MIR Grapefruit dish liquid back from France for years because it smells like just grapefruit — one pure, clean, acerbic note. But who wants to use up precious suitcase space and weight with dish liquid?

So I was all jumpy-claps when JR Watkins Naturals launched Grapefruit Liquid Dish Soap ($5.99, Shoppers Drug Mart, jrwatkins.com.) Made with natural, fully-biodegradable essential oils, it smells so fantastically unfake it’s as if someone is standing beside you peeling a grapefruit as you slog through that mountain of dishes. Then all of sudden dish-washing is mood elevation instead of drudgery. Oh, and the apothecary-style bottle looks great sink-side. (Why don’t more body-care lines launch home care products?)

If for some puzzling reason, you aren’t completely smitten with the Grapefruit, there’s also an amazing Orange Citrus, and others. But really – try the Grapefruit.

Which, unlike MIR, won’t cost you a plane ticket to France.

If you become hopelessly addicted to the dish soap, there’s also JR Watkins Hand Soap and All-purpose Cleaner, each in a beautiful apothecary bottle. Because that’s another beautygeek trait, right? Loathing bad packaging?

Some years back, a study by a Dr. Alan Hirsch, a Chicago-based neuroscientist and psychiatrist, revealed that the scent of grapefruit makes men think women (in the vicinity) look six years younger than they are. The story is a bit more complex than it sounds, but we’ll take it. Grapefruit forever.

Liza Herz
26 November 2012 at 8:13 pm
JR Watkins Naturals
1 December 2012 at 12:01 am
Tammy Woroschuk
1 December 2012 at 3:22 pm
JRWNaturals OC Store
2 December 2012 at 8:25 pm

Icaria 26 November 2012 at 11:19 am

I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one. My husband has been saying for years that I was weird about dish soap! I need lemon or grapefruits period! This I will definitely look for! With a beautiful bottle as a bonus, what more could a nose sensitive girl ask for? :D

Liza 26 November 2012 at 11:48 am

You are NOT weird. And you can show this post to your husband for proof. Unless of course he responds with “Oh look. Someone as weird as you,” in which case I can’t help you.

Nose-sensitive girls united in a love of grapefruit!

Icaria 27 November 2012 at 9:59 am

If he knows what’s good for him, he’ll choose his words verrry carfully! :D

Liza 2 May 2013 at 4:41 pm

he he he he

Janine 26 November 2012 at 11:34 am

Why did I not stock up on this MiR dish soap while I was in France?? Yay JR Watkins! I have the Orange Citrus hand soap on deck for my bathroom skin. Love.

Liza 26 November 2012 at 3:00 pm

Why did you not stock up in Paris? Um, because you had other things to bring back this time and besides, you’re heading back to Paris in January. #notjealous #noreally

Lesa 26 November 2012 at 3:21 pm

January? WHAT NOW?

Liza 26 November 2012 at 3:40 pm

You tell her, Janine. I’m too ‘not jealous. No, not me. nuh-uhn…’ to wade into this.

Lisa 26 November 2012 at 1:43 pm

I hate sea-breeze-scented products with a passion. Sea breeze NEVER smells like a true ocean breeze; it’s more like a chemical soup rejected by the makers of AXE. Why do companies still make it? Worse, why do people buy “sea breeze” products?

Liza 26 November 2012 at 3:02 pm

Ooh. An Axe diss. Nice one. Beautygeek smackdown! he he

YouLookHotToday 26 November 2012 at 3:34 pm

Grapefruit smell makes me happy. I’ve been using Sunlight grapefruit dish soap for as long as it’s been around – it makes nice suds, cuts grease, and smells like I’m smearing grapefruit all over the place.

Because of you (and also because I have one of those $10 bonus thingies from Shoppers), I will try this J.R. Watkins you speak of. Tomorrow I buy and try.

Liza 26 November 2012 at 3:46 pm

I think grapefruit has overtaken lemon, clearly. Poor lemon.

Clearly we need to organize a Beautygeeks Class Trip to Paris: eating, walking around, more eating, shopping at French pharmacies, shopping at French grocery stores, stop for coffee at Paul, go to the Orangerie to see some Monet, followed by more walk/eat/shop.

And what $10 bonus thingie from Shoppers? They’re giving away money now?

Janine 26 November 2012 at 4:15 pm

OMIGOD I love the idea of Beautygeeks Class Trip to Paris! You’re TOTES Head Beautygeek on that one; I only know from Paul and French lip balms from you!

YouLookHotToday 27 November 2012 at 11:20 am

Sometimes when I go to Shoppers ‘n buy myself Advil, dish soap, coffee cream or laundry soap AND I hit a certain dollar amount, I get a surprise bonus of something. Last time I think I spent $50 and got a $10 off card that’s good on my next purchase. Sometimes I buy nail polish and get a surprise bonus. I like those times. I was gonna spend my surprise bonus on butter but now I’ll buy this J.R. Watkins soap instead. I might also buy a pound of butter. Christmas is comin’ – I gots shortbread to bake.

Hmm… shortbread… hmm… pink grapefruit vs microplane… hmmm…. I just haddathought. It’s a good thought. It’s like the thought I had about the loose leaf Earl Grey French Blue tea that someone brought back for me from Paris. I might have processed some of it and added it to my shortbread cookie recipe with DELICIOUS results. I’m not saying that actually happened, I’m saying it MIGHT have happened. As an added bonus, If I do I go play grapefruit, I’ll have a new dish soap to wash up my KitchenAid.

Also, I would like to go to Paris too. I’m just into the eating part – you guys can walk and shop.

Janine 27 November 2012 at 2:14 pm

I’ma copy that shortbread recipe you might have made. Maybe. I might.

Beautygeeks Class Trip to Paris… it MUST HAPPEN. And you MUST come, You!

YouLookHotToday 27 November 2012 at 5:32 pm

Alas, no joy on the dish soap at my Shoppers. I repeat, no joy. I’ll hafta check out another store.

Lily 12 January 2013 at 1:05 pm

So I have been on the lookout at a few SDM’s looking for this and I am not sure I am looking in the right place. With cleaning supplies? Natural products? Most SDM people I tell me they don’t carry it…
I am in downtown T.O. , so there is a Shoppers every other corner, but I am not having luck. Any suggestions? I’d rather not order online.

Liza 12 January 2013 at 5:31 pm

Hi Lily. That must be so frustrating. Especially after I promised! Ack!

I’ve seen it at the Shoppers at Bloor & Yonge (underneath The Bay) and I ‘m pretty sure it was in the beauty aisle with the other Watkins products. But you could always try calling Shoppers’ 1-800 # which is, in fact, 1-800SHOPPER.

Good luck. And keep me posted!

Paola 29 January 2013 at 10:13 pm

I can’t seem to find this anywhere! Any luck finding anywhere else?

Liza 30 January 2013 at 10:53 am

Oh no. Are you in Canada? Where have you looked?

Paola 30 January 2013 at 8:00 pm

I’ve looked in what seems like every Shoppers Drug Mart in Toronto!!
I was reading the comments and haven’t checked out the one at Yonge and Bloor yet.

Liza 30 January 2013 at 8:07 pm

I’ve emailed the JR Watkins people. Stay tuned. In the meantime, you can order it online at jrkwatkins.com They do ship to Canada.

But I totally get how frustrating it is to look for something and come up empty-handed. That usually just makes me want it MORE.

I’ll let you know as soon as i hear. But online is an easy option…

Janine 30 January 2013 at 8:34 pm

I think we need to tweet at retailers in Canada to make more of them carry JRWatkins Grapefruit dish liquid. Who’s with me??

Liza 30 January 2013 at 8:45 pm

Excellent idea!

Paola 31 January 2013 at 11:33 am

Thanks! I would prefer not to order online. But hey, might have to.

Liza 4 February 2013 at 1:01 pm

Yup. It’s official. Apparently if you want the dish soap, you’ll have to order it online from jrwatkins.com. But look at the bright side: It’s gloomy February, and now you’ll have a present coming to you by mail mixed in with all those boring bills.

And, like Janine said, we just have to start telling retailers to bring stock it.