One-Coat Wonder: CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss

by Janine on 6 November 2012 · 33 comments

On this side of the Beautygeeks screen, we’re geeking out about these new, smart, nod-to-Chanel bottles, 27 on-trend shades, plus crazy high-shine and punchy full-coverage colour in one coat. Nail colour addicts, meet your newest obsession: CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss. No top coat (or credit card) required.

According to Dr. Sarah Vickery, CoverGirl Principal Scientist, nail polish now rivals mascara when it comes to sales. Funny how a nasty recession turned inexpensive fun into a trend so massive that it pretty much hip-checked lipstick out as a spending measure.

CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss nail polish features a new technology that allows a whack of pigment and super-high shine to co-exist happily. Usually, says Dr. Vickery, you get one or the other.

“The pigments are suspended in a clay resin, which is fairly common, but this has been processed differently,” Vickery explains. “Usually you can fit only so many particles into a suspension, but the way this has been processed, we can get an incredibly high level of colour payoff and an incredibly high level of shine payout in the same formula.” (Shown: CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss in Go Go Mango)

“When you see that single stroke, how much colour that is, it’s pretty unusual,” says Vickery. “And then the biggest thing is getting super high-shine and maintaining it for seven days without the need for a top coat.” (Shown: CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss in Grape Vine)

You’ll quickly find that Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss delivers exactly the colour and shine it says it will. (The insanely glossy finish reminds me of the exceptional shine of L’Oréal Paris Color Riche Nail Color.) And you can count on its one-coat promise — amazing.

This is Diana; she’s wearing a coat of the most delicious nail polish colour.

This is CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss in Wine Stain. *swoon*

CoverGirl Outlast Stay Brilliant Nail Gloss ($8.49 each) is sneaking out in limited distribution on November 25th — no details on exact locations, I’m sorry — and hits most drugstores and mass retailers in January 2013.

What do you think of the packaging? The colours? The claims?

UPDATE, Nov 27: If you’re concerned about the maneuverability of the square cap, worry not.

Natasha
6 November 2012 at 10:29 pm
Ash Kowalewski
6 November 2012 at 10:33 pm
Health Is Wealth
7 November 2012 at 2:43 pm
Jennifer Lawrence Gives Great Answers after her Oscar Win
25 February 2013 at 11:13 am
Covergirl Wine Stain nail polish swatch & review -swatchgirl.com | australian beauty blog
6 October 2013 at 4:30 pm
Covergirl Polish Spring 2014: Going Topless? -- BEAUTYGEEKS
12 February 2014 at 9:02 pm

Cranky B. Pants 6 November 2012 at 11:44 am

It looks like Chanel but is one-third the price. Which means you can get three.

Janine 6 November 2012 at 2:31 pm

Excellent beauty math, Cranky! You are the best.

Lisa 6 November 2012 at 1:06 pm

I’m adding this to my must-try list!

Janine 7 November 2012 at 9:48 am

We were amazed at the one-coat finish — it’s really, really good, and really shiny!

Gaëlle 6 November 2012 at 1:50 pm

I wonder… could it be what I spotted today at my store in Switzerland? Sometimes Switzerland is a test market for products such as electronics or for movies. Some things are released a few days early… I didn’t pay attention to the name of the polish, but the shape of the bottles looked very similar. I’ll have to check it out!

Janine 7 November 2012 at 11:15 am

That’s pretty cool about being a test market — would be even more fun if those bottles you spotted are CoverGirl! Keep us posted!

Gaëlle 7 November 2012 at 12:11 pm

Ok, I’m so disappointed… it was not those bottles at all. Oh, well, I guess I’ll have to wait, just like anybody!

Janine 7 November 2012 at 12:17 pm

Oh pooh! I hate when that happens — fooled by similar packaging.

YouLookHotToday 6 November 2012 at 1:55 pm

Most of the colours I see there seem a little springy for right now but you KNOW I’ma pick some up anyhow.

As for the bottle tops, the black square comes off, a la Chanel, yes? I’m not much of a fan of working with that square top on – I find it tricky to handle and always feel a distinct lack of control when trying to get right up close to the cuticle. Nars, YSL, and Lancome have square tops that don’t come off to reveal a round one – all tricky to use but sometimes, the colour and wear trumps the applicator.

Cranky B. Pants 6 November 2012 at 2:16 pm

That’s what you get for painting your own nails!

YouLookHotToday 6 November 2012 at 5:45 pm

If I could get The Great L.C. to make house calls, I’d never hafta do mine own nails again.

Janine 7 November 2012 at 11:42 am

Good news, You — the square top does come off to reveal a smaller brush handle for more precise application. Yay!

Natasha 6 November 2012 at 5:28 pm

My wallet is sighing.

Janine 7 November 2012 at 11:16 am

Your wallet sounds like my wallet. Sometimes mine cries a little. And sometimes it just won’t open up. Sheesh.

Rebecca 8 November 2012 at 5:44 am

I’ve already heard of people seeing the display in drugstores this week, so if I see it I will buy one or two. CG really needed to revamp their nail polish and these look promising.

Stacie 18 November 2012 at 2:43 pm

We have about half the shades is Florida stores. I have about five of them, and love them. With a bogo 50 % off and a $4 off coupon, I lucked out. Thanks for the informative article.

Janine 21 November 2012 at 7:08 am

Have you found them any shinier and hardier than any other polishes, Stacie? Do you have a favourite shade?

Stacie 27 November 2012 at 12:36 pm

They are easy to apply and do seem shiny. I don’t like the square top. Mine came off , but seemed stripped and hard to put back on. I have used the blue one and it lasted forever. This was with a Seche Vite top coat. I think the gold is my favorite.

Tracy 27 November 2012 at 7:58 am

I LOVE this nail polish but absolutely HATE that big fat square-shaped brush handle. It is so big and bulky making it impossible to turn the brush around while painting your nails. If I didn’t like the single swipe coverage so much, I’d throw it in the trash. Awesome polish……poorly designed handle.

YouLookHotToday 27 November 2012 at 12:00 pm

Wait – does the square NOT come off to reveal a smaller knob underneath?

I’m going to the store later – I’m gonna check into this as I’ve not yet had a chance to try it. If the square doesn’t come off, I’m not buying it. Nope. Not even going to try it.

Janine 27 November 2012 at 12:44 pm

Yes, the square top comes off à la Chanel to reveal a more manageable handle underneath. Just give the square a yank while the bottle is still tightly closed.

YouLookHotToday 27 November 2012 at 10:03 pm

Yay! Square top comes off! I’ma check it out!

Jules 30 December 2012 at 7:32 pm

Just tried #250 My Papaya a coral orange and I love it! Makes me want to wear my swimsuit even though we’re crawling under snow in Quebec City! So easy to apply!

Tracy 14 January 2013 at 5:21 pm

I tried the wine stain colour and REALLY like it. It’s so durable too – no chips yet and I’m on day 4. There was only 5 colours available at the one store I finally found these at (most drugstores and departement stores I checked in Calgary, AB, Canada didn’t care them yet), so I’m on the hunt for more colours!

Janine 15 January 2013 at 5:51 am

I love that shade! I have to go get it for my toes :-)

june 17 March 2013 at 6:31 pm

I love the nail polish, as it so long wearing, but find the smell from it is awful, and lasts for a long time. I hope there isn’t anything in the polish that is harmful to our health!!!

Aggi 18 May 2013 at 7:54 pm

I totally agree with june – the smell of this is very strong, even after the np itself is dry. Reminds me of the smell of Revlon’s Colorstay polish (maybe some ingredient that makes it long-lasting?). Avoid if you’re scent-sensitive, or use on toes only :-)