Valentine’s Day: The Morning After Makeup Kit Essentials

by Janine on 14 February 2012 · 9 comments

Stella McCartney ss2012 backstageFor a makeout-friendly makeup freelance piece, I touched base with several makeup pros on what works for them. One artist mentioned what I like to call “The Morning After Makeup Kit.”

“Whatever you’re doing, wear what is comfortable for you, especially if you think your date will take you into the bedroom later,” says Melissa Gibson, MAC Senior Artist. “If that’s the case, less is more, and always have an emergency makeup kit in your purse.”

a morning after makeup kit

Your morning after makeup kit might be a bit different from your everyday touch-up stuff, which for some could be just down to lipstick and powder. A good morning after makeup kit should provide all the tools you need for a speedy fresh face that works with that morning-after glow. Gibson recommends:

tinted moisturizer (or your new favourite bb cream)

concealer

a powder compact with a mirror

mascara

neutral blush

sheer lipstick or gloss

Of course, you’ll want to build your date-night makeup around these items so they’ll be useful while you’re out the night before. “This will make any necessary touchups easy, and allows you to apply a fresh face the next morning,” says Gibson.

Do you have a Morning-After Makeup Kit? Is anything missing from this list? Other than this, I mean.

{ 1 trackback }

Arianne
14 February 2012 at 7:21 pm

Liza 14 February 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love this. It’s ‘Be Prepared’, but for kissing n stuff, as opposed to starting a campfire from twigs and crumpled newspaper.

I’d add a toothbrush and paste. :)

Janine 15 February 2012 at 12:17 am

So much more useful! Well, for some people, anyway.

Yes, that’s a good idea, the toothbrush and paste. But it’s a makeup kit, not a grooming kit… I’d assumed people would have thrown toothbrush and paste in their bags already. *grin*

Katie 5 February 2013 at 9:32 am

And maybe some Visine too ;)

beachgal 14 February 2012 at 9:58 pm

Gotta have a brow something with me. I can get by using a lipstick in my purse for a blush if needed at all. Under eye concealer is nice to have but usually I don’t carry it and I never know when it’s going to be a need for AM after! Forget the BB or tinted moisturizer. I can get by with what’s left from the night before – or if have washed my face/taken a shower/gone swimming/ I have taken everything I had on off makeup wise and am one of the lucky ones, don’t look that much different or that bad. Toothbrush with paste as above commenter said – a good idea but I doubt I would even have it in my purse with me. Better to borrow what the French do – have an apple next to the bed to bite into to get rid of morning breath.

Janine 15 February 2012 at 12:21 am

You should see the stuff I cart around with me. I need a brow pen, definitely. And a lash curler. Always concealer. And now that I’ve tried the Lauder BB cream, I don’t go anywhere without it (built-in SPF 35 + evened-out skin that looks like there’s no makeup on it? No WAY I’m leaving it at home…). And… I’m allergic to apples!

You are way lucky you can get by without much stuff. I could maybe leave the blush out and use lip colour on my cheeks instead, but that’s it!

Siofan 5 February 2013 at 10:30 am

I love that you did this post! And the Fassy at the end put me over the edge.

Lindsay 5 February 2013 at 5:46 pm

I can’t really live without an eyelash curler. I bought a tiny fold up one from Sephora recently, but it’s not great. I’d love to know if anyone has suggestions on travel-friendly eyelash curlers.

I also live with my guy, so I have pretty much everything I need for the morning after. Minus breakfast in bed, of course.

Janine 5 February 2013 at 6:13 pm

I can’t live without an eyelash curler either. My favourite tweezer-like pair from Laura Mercier is great for travel, but tricky to find these days. Suggestions in the comments of this post.

I also used to have a genius little flat, travel-friendly lash curler from Sephora — pretty sure Japonesque had them too. But I just checked Sephora.ca, and they don’t appear to carry them anymore. *moue*