Stocking Stuffers: Fancy Facial Cotton Pads (I’m So. Not. Kidding.)

by Janine on 14 December 2011 · 10 comments

I don’t think of myself as particularly extravagant, I was about to say — then I remembered I take cabs everywhere and suddenly have a few more pairs of boots than perhaps I should. That said, it’s not like everything I own has a fancy designer label, or that all my beauty and grooming stuff is prestige. I geek out about stuff at a variety of price points, as you probably know if you’ve bopped around on Beautygeeks at all.

But I’m now firmly in the camp of fancy facial cotton pads. Yes, I will pay $9 for a package of Shiseido Facial Cotton. And if when the Chanel Le Coton ($20 USd) hits counters in Canada, I’ll try those too. Because I’ve had it to here with crap cotton pads that disintegrate in the package, or fall apart within seconds of handling, or leave scratches on my face and fuzzies in my eyes. Those kinds of cotton pads are exclusively for nail polish removal.

Shiseido Facial Cotton — and, I suspect, given the buzz about them, Chanel Le Coton — are reserved for use on the face.

What makes them better? I can’t speak to the Chanel cotton just yet (I told SharpforMen.com I’d love them for Christmas), but the Shiseido Facial Cotton pads are wonderfully soft and cushion-y, multi-layered and made of high quality long strands of cotton so they leave zero lint in their wake. They make me look forward to removing my makeup.

I know some people who are going to receive a package of Shiseido Facial Cotton + a tube of La Roche-Posay Cicaplast as a Christmas treat.

What’s your cotton-pad stance? Are you already faithful to Shiseido’s? Have you tried Chanel’s? Or are you a Make-Offs fan for life?

Shiseido Facial Cotton is available at department stores and Shoppers Drug Mart (where I got them for $8).

Health Is Wealth
15 December 2011 at 5:07 am
Anya Georgijevic
15 December 2011 at 5:17 am
Lien Yeung
15 December 2011 at 5:44 am
La Roche-Posay Cicaplast Baume Launching in Canada (YAAAAAY!)
6 June 2013 at 6:19 pm
Why Shiseido Cotton Pads are the Best Cotton Pads - BEAUTYGEEKS
29 August 2013 at 3:40 am

Steph 15 December 2011 at 2:08 am

I love Shiseido cotton pads! So soft and feels so much better :) I’ve heard their quality has deteriorated in the past ten years but I think they’re pretty good anyways. The way I use them makes them worth it to buy. I use them to apply toner (added benefit: instead of sinking all your products into them, they rest on top so you use less) and I cut them into smaller pieces either in half or fours since you don’t need the whole cotton. Makes the package last a lot longer. You can also use them as a “mask” by soaking cottons with a hydrating toner and applying them over your face. A lot of my friends don’t understand my cotton pad love.. but once you try them you totally CANNOT live without them.

rasilla 15 December 2011 at 4:28 am

^ditto to the mask thing, totally great for that.
One of my guilty pleasures is going to SDM and giving those little Shiseido pad baggies a little squeeze!
So plush, so squishy!
Kind of similar to my obsession with having to touch a Gund Bear when I see one xD

Carmela 15 December 2011 at 3:14 pm

I’ve been going to the Shiseido warehouse sales mostly to stock up on these. They’re a couple dollars cheaper that way and I don’t feel as bad for splurging on facial cotton. But really, once you’re tried these, there’s no going back.

Tracy 15 December 2011 at 5:41 pm

I only use the Shiseido ones now! All other cotton pads SUCK. No more pieces of fluff in my eye thank you very much!

MJ 15 December 2011 at 5:43 pm

There was a time when these weren’t available on the mainland here in the States. Whenever my dad would go to Hawaii he’d fill a suitcase with these for me. Unfortunately he’s retired and my DH just doesn’t get it.