Knock-Knox: Extra-Strength Hair Protection + Bonus Conditioning

by Janine on 29 September 2011 · 13 comments

Synchronized swimmers know from helmet head. They spend most of their time in chlorinated pools. And they know how much hair loves a good chlorine soak — seriously not so much, especially if it’s blonde or coloured. Plus, random strands of hair escaping those pulled-back ’dos are an untidy, get-in-the-way no-no.

So for them, Knox Gelatine is the answer. Mixed with water and applied to hair, it dries to form a protective helmet ain’t no chlorine’s going to get through, and from which no hair can pull free. The gelatin also functions as a mega protein-pack — win, win.

Okay, so maybe it’s not an everyday hair solution for you. It’s great for Halloween, though, for that Ross Geller costume (it’s retro, right?), or Devo (if you remember Devo), or hey, why not a synchro-team of friends?

My question: how did anyone come up with this idea? Have you heard of any other topical uses for gelatin? (Apparently gelatin for nails is a myth, sorry!)

{ 1 trackback }

Samy Fat Hair 0 Calorie Amplifying Hair Spray Gives Great Volume and Hold_review
25 April 2013 at 8:41 am

Lindsay @ A Walk in the Closet 29 September 2011 at 2:23 pm

When I saw this image on your blog, I was like “what? how in the world does that relate to a beauty blog?”.

What an interesting tip! I actually have a box of this in the back of my pantry. Did not realize it could be used in such a way.

Janine 29 September 2011 at 5:24 pm

I think maybe you want to reserve it for desperate times, unless you feel like walking around your house with hard hair for a while… *grin*

Jillojello 29 September 2011 at 5:20 pm

In makeup school we learned mixed with just a bit of water or red food colouring makes burn effects

Janine 29 September 2011 at 5:26 pm

Ooh, pretty! (tee hee!) Definitely something to keep in mind for Halloween, or if you’re into special-effects makeup. Thanks for the tip!

Vivian 29 September 2011 at 6:42 pm

I know a beauty youtuber from Hong Kong (BeautyQQ) had featured a jello/gelatin eye mask using Chinese soup spoons that looked interesting.

Also, great to meet you at Tips today!!

Janine 30 September 2011 at 11:53 am

I have got to check that out! And also, Vivian, I can’t get your incredible skin out of my head. Beauty envy over here!

Vivian 30 September 2011 at 2:03 pm

aww u know how to make a girl blush! your blog’s tips certainly help ;)

Janine 30 September 2011 at 11:26 pm

Hah. A good gene pool gets the credit, although it’s kind of you to say!

Jen 3 October 2011 at 9:33 am

As a former synchronized swimmer of 7 years, I can tell you from personal experience that the amount of tangles and breakage and pain you will suffer struggling to get the stuff out of your hair, ever after you’ve soaked your head in warm/hot water for a half an hour to soften the gelatin, far outweighs any “protein pack” or chlorine protection benefits it’s meant to provide.

Janine 3 October 2011 at 9:36 am

I wondered about that, but the former synchro swimmer who told me about the Knox said “it’s so easy — you just wash it out.” Did she do something different, maybe?

Ally 3 October 2011 at 4:34 pm

Hah! I enjoyed this. Comical but practical.
xo

Janine 4 October 2011 at 10:09 am

So weird, random and funny, right? I’m now waiting to find out why my source had no problem getting the stuff out of her hair; Jen, who commented before you, had major troubles.