F is for Flip-Top: How to Get the Last Drop from Your Pump-Bottle Lotion

by Janine on 12 August 2011 · 15 comments

I have a thing for pump dispensers. Fresh out of the shower, maybe running late (who, me?), who’s got time to fiddle with a body-lotion squeeze tube that may or may not slip out of your hands when you grab it for more? Not me. So yes, pump dispensers deserve an ode.

But as much as pumps win, there’s a downside: the stuff that lazes around at the bottom of the bottle, out of reach.

I happened to babble about this some at a recent Kiehl’s info session with Angela Luchkovich, the brand’s Group Marketing Manager. “Oh, I just switch the cap to a flip one — then I can give the bottle a couple of shakes and squeeze out the rest,” she said.

Well duh. Can’t believe that hadn’t occurred to me. And it so happens that Kiehl’s has a stash of flip-top caps that fit their pump bottles. You can get one when you pick up your Crème de Corps. And when you’re down to that last bit, switch the lid and store the bottle end-up in a glass.

Done and done.

Have you tried this every-last-drop approach? If not, what did you do instead?

Photos via Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR digital camera.

Sarah Daniel
13 August 2011 at 12:07 am
Jergens Daily Moisture Reviews
14 December 2012 at 11:03 am

Ally 12 August 2011 at 11:38 am

Hah! Sometimes the easiest, simplest ideas don’t come as easy as you’d think.
This post couldn’t have come at a better time … thank you!

xo

Janine 14 August 2011 at 9:36 pm

I’d store bottles on their side, then spend time scraping the contents out with the tube end of the pump. Sheesh.

Arianne 12 August 2011 at 12:06 pm

I would normally just cut the bottle, but this is definitely the less messy solution. :)

Liza Herz 12 August 2011 at 4:58 pm

Me too. I engage in the silly process of bottle-cutting and then stashing its mutilated corpse in a Ziploc bag so the contents don’t dry out.

Janine 14 August 2011 at 9:37 pm

You inspired a tweet about not going all Dexter on nearly empty lotion bottles. Awesome!

Anne 12 August 2011 at 9:10 pm

Yup, I do this!

Janine 14 August 2011 at 9:37 pm

You swap caps? Or channel your inner serial killer?

Deb 13 August 2011 at 7:56 am

I have a few spare empties that are about 50ml in size for getting the dregs out … waste not want not right ?? The balancing act to drain the bigger container into the little one is a challenge, but so worth it to get every last drop out :)

Janine 14 August 2011 at 9:38 pm

That’s a good idea, transferring to smaller squeeze bottles. But how do you deal with the one-bottle-to-another challenge? Prop one bottle atop the other?

Issa 14 August 2011 at 8:12 pm

oh, i also go through the process of cutting the bottle!!! aaahhh, this post is very helpful! this is way easier than what i do! thanks! :)

Janine 14 August 2011 at 9:40 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever performed surgery on a bottle — I love that so many people have!

Jane 16 August 2011 at 3:01 pm

Yep this is what I do. Créme de Corps is a holy grail in my house and that pump never gets all the goodness at the bottom of the bottle. Now if only Kiehls could get a dropper top for their Midnight Recovery Complex instead of the glass dropper lid. I have accidentally knocked over 2 bottles with oily hands (duh its an oil in there) and refuse to repurchase. Same with their Powerful Line Reducing Concentrate. The vitamin thickens and the pump stops working. I’ve complained about this to SAs in a few cities and they all say “Yeah that is a constant problem”. WAT? Time to fix. Ok rant over.

Maryam 13 November 2012 at 11:11 pm

My company actually invented a product called mybotto that is an inverted bottle holder specifically designed for this purpose!!! Check it out !