SPONSORED Thanks to our recent discussions about whether sunscreen goes before moisturizer or after, it's clear you all have excellent SPF habits. Right? But a bunch of people you know probably still need a little educating and encouragement. Well, along with skincare brand La Roche-Posay, long a fave of derms, Beautygeeks is happy to help.
A few things you already know (right?):
1) The obvious: repeated unprotected UV exposure can lead to skin cancer.
2) Super-high SPF is no guarantee of skin safety. Habits count large.
3) You can't layer an SPF 15 with a 30 to get 45. SPF 15 + SPF 30 = SPF 30.
4) Sunscreen has an expiry date. Past-date SPF won't deliver the level of protection promised on the label.
A few things you might not know:
1) Stats Canada says skin cancer is one of the fastest growing cancers globally.
2) In North America, one person dies from melanoma every hour.
3) Statistics suggest that one in seven Canadians will develop skin cancer.
Beauty and health editors don't like these stats. Neither do doctors, of course. And neither do companies like La Roche-Posay. (Their newest sunscreen is Anthelios Ultra-Fluid Lotion SPF 60, a paraben- and fragrance-free, non-oily, light-textured chemical-sunscreen formula with a matte finish designed for the face; $26.)
In fact, via aÂ 7 Week Summer Sun Challenge on Facebook, La Roche-Posay is determined to get everyone involved in improving their sun-safety habits. Each week, the company will introduce a new sun topic or challenge, such as having you check your SPF expiry dates, or sending you + a friend to the interactive myskincheck.ca to evaluate any moles you might have as well as your personal sun risk.
And once you've completed the seven-week challenge, you'll be eligible to win one of five La Roche-Posay gift packs valued at $200.
You like? Issue your own challenge to SPF-deficient friends and head to the La Roche-Posay Canada Facebook page. Make us proud.