The Kindest Cut: The Secret to a Great Layered Haircut That Lasts

by Janine on 14 April 2011 · 21 comments

You know you go to a great stylist when you can’t remember when you last had an appointment, yet your style’s still got its shape and is still easy to do. You really know it when you realize it’s been four or five months. That’s the kind of cut you’ll get from Greg May, owner of Greg May Hair Architects in Toronto’s Yorkville area. (That’s his work in the image above, photos he takes of each client — and tweets — post appointment. He’s also worked with pretty much all of Canada’s top fashion, beauty and lifestyle magazines.)

Greg May knows structure. Even with the most dishevelled looks, good structure is key to effortless styling, as well as extending the time between visits (standard about two months). A former cop (a fun random detail), this guy does killer bobs with perfect lines that still look perfect four months on, and gorgeous long layered cuts that also look amazing months longer than they should. And he’s a total technique geek, which of course I appreciate. He tells you exactly what he’s doing as he works, which is how I discovered the secret to a great layered cut that lasts.

Has this happened to you? You had layers cut into your hair then discovered two weeks in that, inexplicably, the lower half of your cut suddenly looks scraggly (especially if your natural texture is wavy)? And your hair’s started to fight back when you’re trying to style it? It’s not you. It’s your cut. You’ve probably got some weird-ass, squared-off shelf-y layers going on, too. Gah! And yep, it’s happened to me.

But when a stylist uses the cutting technique Greg demonstrates in the quick video below…. Perfection: hair that follows styling direction without argument, and a style that looks good for months.

Special thanks to my sis, Karen, who is the hair in Greg’s chair.

How long do your cuts usually last? How often do you hit the salon?

Janine Falcon
25 June 2013 at 11:11 am
Hot Deals on De-Stressing Spa Treatments and Great-Skin Treatments
11 October 2013 at 2:35 am
Can Pantene Overnight Miracle Save My Hair? -- BEAUTYGEEKS
7 February 2014 at 8:22 pm

Meeka 14 April 2011 at 8:53 pm

It makes perfect sense. If he gets it, and I get it, why can’t most other stylists get it?!?! I have wavy/curly hair and I’ve always had a hard time finding a good hair cut. It took me years to find a hair dresser who understood why I didn’t want to have layers cut into the last inch of hair only ( hello pyramid) or that I’d like layers all the way around instead of it all ending up on one side of my head (how the hell do they even manage that??). And of course once I do find a good stylist I move. I think I’m not meant to have great hair lol.

Janine 14 April 2011 at 9:01 pm

If you have a Smartphone, you could teach your stylist how to give you what you want, next time you move… just show him or her this vid! It’s true, that not every stylist does this is a mystery. So many go on autopilot, I think. Greg and maybe one other stylist I know, Alain Larivée, are not autopilot-types. They love what they do too much. Good luck, Meeka!

YouLookHotToday 15 April 2011 at 8:25 am

Say NO to scragglies ‘n triangles and go see Magic Greg!

I am so not a fan of product – I’m a wash (uh, with a 2-in-1) and go kinda girl. Even though I have dumb, super-thick-wavy-straight-curly hair, a Magic Greg Cut lets me wash (uh, yeah, still with my 2-in-1), and go. I can run a flat-iron through it, sans product, and jet out the door in under 15 minutes. It’s love. True love. And it comes with a latté.

I heart Greg.

Ange 15 April 2011 at 1:58 pm

I’m going to him next time I’m home (T. home, that is.)

Janine 15 April 2011 at 2:07 pm

You must! And when’s that going to be, mon amie??

Kiesha 24 May 2011 at 3:30 pm

I’m counting down the days!!! Going in two weeks to see him and am nervous and excited! Hopefully it will be love:) Missing Evagalia and hope she comes home soon:)

Sarah 7 December 2011 at 8:17 am

Janine, I read this post last April and it really resonated with me. I’ve had all lengths of hair and prefer mine long, but can’t honestly say I’ve ever had a great layered cut. I mentally filed the article away (yes, mentally – not bookmarked!) and decided once my hair was long enough, I’d go see Greg.

Fast forward 8 mos. – I returned to your blog to search for the post and booked an appointment. I went to see Greg for the first time yesterday (after patiently growing my over the last year+) and it was a fantastic experience! I felt so welcomed and immediately at home in his salon – everyone went out of their way to treat me like a VIP. Oh, and yes, I had probably the best cut of my life with Greg too. ;)

So thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this article – and to anyone else reading and wanting (needing!) a well done, layered cut – go see Greg, you won’t be disappointed.

Janine 7 December 2011 at 8:51 am

Wow, Sarah — amazing! Thanks so much for your wonderful comment; am so glad you loved your experience, your cut, and Greg and his team! Happy holidays!