Itsy Bitsy: Is the Wee Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara Worth It?

by Janine on 9 March 2011 · 16 comments

Women are so predictable. Make a mini of a makeup thing, and we’re utterly entranced. Omigod, so cute! Adorbs! (The flip-side of a mini size is that someone might easily misplace said wee cosmetic in a clutter of laconic larger-size stuff. Oops. And naturally, Staff takes no responsibility for losing the itsy Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara I’ve been wanting to try, and claims all the credit for eventually unearthing it. Typical.)

So you know what’s not “adorbs” when they’re wee? Lower lashes. Years ago on a shoot, a harried photographer glanced at my eye makeup and said brusquely to the makeup artist, “Where are her lower lashes? Can we get some?” #scarredforlife.

Still, although I succumbed to Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara’s mini appeal on sight, I had to know — is this wee thing worth $12 and the extra hassle of having to add another mascara to your daily routine?

In a little word with bigger-than-it-looks impact, yes.

In more words:

1) If, like mine, your lower lashes are so small and delicate that a regular mascara wand can’t help but leave globby smears on your skin, you’ll want to try Clinique Bottom Lash ($12 at department stores and Sephora). Its teensy wand gets those bitty lashes without laying waste to the surrounding eye area.

2) If you typically wear mascara on your lower lashes only to find forty minutes on that you’ve been transformed into a talking racoon, you’ll want to try Clinique Bottom Lash. Its tube-technology formula stays put through rain, tears, sweat, sebum, humidity, and probably a Maid-of-the-Mist excursion, yet comes off with a cotton pad soaked in nothing more than warm water.

Of course, Clinique Bottom Lash Mascara is only useful if you can find it. Unlike Staff.

P.S. Other tube-technology mascaras to try: Clinique Lash Power, CARGO Better Than Waterproof and L’Oréal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes. If you have naturally thick, lush lashes, then Kiss Me Mascara is another option.

Image courtesy of Clinique.

Janine Falcon
9 March 2011 at 6:43 pm
Janine Falcon
10 March 2011 at 4:43 am
1 Makeup Palette, 3 Looks: Clinique A Season's Worth of Pretty Holiday Palette
14 December 2011 at 12:55 am
Maybelline New York The Falsies Big Eyes Mascara
21 March 2013 at 9:28 am

lovethescents 9 March 2011 at 10:27 am

This sounds great. I only own 2 other mascaras: Majorca and Falsies. The Marjorca is great but a pain to remove, and Falsies is great but ‘bleeds’ out onto my dark circles. Not a look I”m going for. This sounds like just the ticket! Many thanks :-)

Janine 9 March 2011 at 6:14 pm

If you like the sound of the formula, LTS, I think maybe you’d like the Clinique Lash Power mascara overall, or, if you’re used to a base coat + top, the L’Oréal Paris Double Extend Beauty Tubes.

lovethescents 10 March 2011 at 1:33 pm

Oh, thank you for the tip! It’s going on the wishlist :-)

Lauren 9 March 2011 at 4:27 pm

Is it at Sephora? I would try it at the store, I hate those clumps I get on the bottom… but I’m not sure I want to shell out $12 for another mascara.

xoxo
Lauren from ChickAdvisor

Janine 9 March 2011 at 6:15 pm

Yep, at Sephora :-)

Tracy 9 March 2011 at 7:41 pm

I have this and it’s great. I was at Holt Renfrew today, and saw they had these double-packed with another mascara for $30. There were 3 kinds to choose from. Almost got the Clinique High Impact pack , but I don’t need any mascara right now lol.

Jenn 10 March 2011 at 11:47 am

I love that you worked “Maid of the Mist” into a post. Awesome!

Janine 12 March 2011 at 4:11 pm

Two posts, if you think about it! And a most unflattering photo at the other end of that link… just call me intrepid!

Jane 11 March 2011 at 8:41 am

Cash. Grab. Seriously? As long as one has a clean mascara brush, one can apply mascara to their lower lashes. Glumpy and gloppy only happens with a sloppy brush. Once a week I take a tissue and completely wipe off my mascara brush. It makes for flawless mascara application with no chunks. We never use it all up before it goes bad/dries up anyways so might as well keep it clean for smooth application.

In my humble opinion, that is ;)

Janine 12 March 2011 at 4:10 pm

For most people I think you’re right, Jane. Unnecessary. But for lower lashes like mine, barely barely there, this bitsy wand is the right size, and the formula is perfect. I’m also a bit of an unusual case (Staff would put it another way) because I do my makeup in transit so much — a regular size brush is just too big for me to get at my hint-o-bottom-lashes cleanly. (Of course, that’s if I were to mascara my lower lashes regularly. I rarely gave them a thought before this!)

I like your idea of regular brush cleaning, though. I haven’t had to do that because I tend to use mascaras that don’t get goopy wands, but some of those fat wire brushes — goopapalooza!

Jane 13 March 2011 at 10:53 am

Adding- I saw this mascara in the little temptation bins in line for the cash at Sephora…

Janine 13 March 2011 at 11:13 am

Perfect place for an impulse buy, right? Or stuff they’re trying to move. I can’t see this mascara being a permanent or really popular item, no matter how much I like it. For most people, the same mascara and wand they use for their upper lashes does the trick.