Bridal Beauty: Should I Have a Facial for My Wedding Day?

by Janine on 17 February 2011 · 14 comments

Short answer: yes. Longer answer: yes, yes, YES! But you need to know a few important things before you book your appointment.

what did you do??

Forgive me if you’ve heard this story before: Years ago when I started doing makeup, I’d just begun a bride’s foundation application and with the first stroke of sponge against skin (this was before foundation brushes!) knew instantly that something was different. The makeup trial had been a couple of weeks earlier, and had gone well. The bride — let’s call her Sarah — had good skin, even-toned, unblemished. But today, on her wedding day, her skin felt different, as the makeup literally glided on and practically blended itself.

What did you do??” I demanded.

“I had a facial last week,” Sarah answered. And since Sarah, I tell everyone: a facial is a must pre- any special occasion you want your makeup to look like extra-special you, not cosmetics just sitting on your skin. I couldn’t stop staring at Sarah after we finished. Her makeup just looked like a genetically blessed her.

when to have a facial

If you’ve never had a facial before, have one right away so you know how your skin will react. Get recommendations from friends, from your favourite blogs, from magazine beauty-editor blogs, from makeup artists.

The ideal finish is skin that feels cool to the touch and looks smooth, dewy and evenly coloured — no red blotches. If you have sensitive skin, you may have some redness, but it should fade quickly.

If you’re happy with your results, then schedule another one with the same facialist for no less than the week before the Big Day. I usually suggest a refresher facial without extractions to avoid risk of redness or breakouts.

types of facials to consider

No matter what anyone tells you, traditional spa facials are great for making skin a better makeup canvas. They’re all about buffing away dry patches and hydrating skin so it’s soft and smooth.

Some people like microdermabrasion — make sure you go to a place that does them properly. Once I did not, and I’m still kvetching about it, although I’ve been kind in not identifying the salon/spa that did it. Just note: after your appointment, your skin should be no more than a bit pink, and that pinkness should fade within about half an hour.

Light chemical peels or laser treatments are other considerations; again you want to make sure you leave your appointment with glowing, even-toned happy skin, without any redness.

And then there’s the Intraceutical Oxygen Facial, which leaves skin looking positively radiant without any discomfort whatsoever.

where to go for derm-strength facials

If you’ve never had microdermabrasion, a chemical peel, laser treatment or an Intraceuticals facial but want to try one, hit a dermatologist’s office, not a spa. Yes, some spas are good at these kinds of treatments, but many are not, and you just don’t want to take that chance.

Why not? At a professional-looking “medispa” in my neighbourhood, a staffer tried a new laser on a co-worker — the victim’s poor face looked like raw meat for weeks. That’s BIG damage — trauma, actually, and can take ages to heal. It also raises the risk of disfigurement.

If you go to a derm office, you know the doctor or the technician has been properly trained, and in the remote event of an oopsie or undesireable reaction, they can handle it on site immediately.

Are you getting married soon? Had you considered, or are you considering a facial?

Image courtesy of Juanita Koo, Sweet Things; photography by youandmeweddings.ca.

Coco&Lowe »  What I’ve Been Reading….
22 February 2011 at 11:11 am
Matthew Laiacona
3 December 2011 at 12:30 am
Chapel of theFlowers
3 July 2012 at 5:35 pm
Be wedding beautiful in 2012: 3 beauty resolutions for the new year | lpnschoolss.info
16 December 2012 at 12:19 pm
Timeless Bridal Makeup by Gucci Westman for Marchesa Spring and Summer 2014
23 April 2013 at 11:25 am
Be wedding beautiful in 2012: 3 beauty resolutions for the new year | The MBA Bride
2 May 2013 at 8:56 pm

SweetThingsTO 17 February 2011 at 9:35 am

Yes, Yes – I agree. I was 36 and never had a facial until Janine recommended it. I was always worried about breaking out or just didn’t want someone touching my face so much. I was wrong – it was amazing! I could feel and see the difference in my skin. Something you must do regularly!

Janine 18 February 2011 at 10:45 am

So glad you did it! And that you loved it!

Melanie 17 February 2011 at 11:34 am

Absolutely agree on the pre-wedding facial. I haven’t tried the Intraceuticals Oxygen facials, but prior to my wedding I went to Gee Beauty and got their regular facial (no extractions!) and added an Oxygen Blast. I got so many compliments on my skin.

I have ultra sensitive/reactive skin, and I had no problem!

Janine 18 February 2011 at 10:46 am

Thanks for your comment, Melanie, esp about your skin type and how it reacted to your facial!

Heard a lot of good things about Gee Beauty and their facials. Popped into their shop just this week before a meeting — lovely!

Gaelle Lehrer Kennedy 18 February 2011 at 1:53 pm

The best beauty facials is the one you learn to give yourself. You know the products you are using and can always trust the results.

Janine 18 February 2011 at 1:59 pm

If you’re a DIY kind of person, definitely! And if you know how to give yourself a good facial — getting one is a good way to learn. Or there’s this how-to at home, of course. *grin*

nashrah gori 3 November 2012 at 8:06 am

i’m only 18 years old,can i get facial on my skin i’m so worried about facial. i want to know that what is facial plz plz answer my question.

Janine 4 November 2012 at 5:19 pm

Hi Nashrah,
You should be able to handle a facial at 18, absolutely. But it also depends a little on your skin. If you have fairly decent skin, not wildly sensitive or you have only occasional blemishes, as long as you find a good esthetician, you’ll see benefits. Do you know the brand Dermalogica? If it’s available in your area, a Dermalogica facial is a great start. Go to http://www.dermalogica.com and check out the location finder to find a Dermalogica-trained esthetician in your neighborhood. Let me know how things go, okay?