F is for Fragrance: Perfume is Maybe the Best Room Spray Ever

by Liza Herz on 28 January 2011 · 31 comments

My husband likes to use expensive perfume as room spray.

I come home saying “God, it smells lovely in here. What is it?” and he’ll point to my bottle of Prada Infusion d’Iris  or (less often) his Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche or Marc Jacobs Bang.

Well, they were just sitting there on the bureau.

It’s not so weird. The Prada Infusion d’Iris is powdery but never cloying, citrusy but not sharp and really lifts a room out of its winter torpor. Prada must know this, because there’s also a stupidly gorgeous Infusion d’Iris scented candle.  Marc Jacobs Bang is all spicy, sexy and woody, like someone lit a fire in the next room. Cozy. I wouldn’t want to go any heavier though. (Unless of course you’re going for a hardcore boudoir vibe, and then who am I to judge?)

I know it sounds all Marie Antoinette loony and extravagant, but using fragrance as room spray is a rational response to all the overpowering fake stuff sold as “mass” room fragrance (yes, Glade “Angel Whispers,” I’m talking to you.)

Repurposing is also the answer when you have unused perfume bottles rattling around in a drawer. Janine, for example, is convinced that most light, citrus fragrances mutate into something tragically fake and vanilla on her. I say just give up and spray it on the bedsheets.

The Body Shop gets it. Their Aloe and Soft Linen Body, Room and Linen Spray is meant for your environment and your skin. And it smells convincingly like line-dried sheets (cotton, sun and flowers) and not like you just used a bottle of fabric softener as your body wash.

Luxe French beauty house Sisley knows that their Eau de Campagne fragrance is essential in deepest darkest winter (it smells like an herb garden with the sun beating down on it), so they released a limited edition candle for Christmas. If the candle is sold out, you should just go get the fragrance (available at Holt Renfrew).

New Orange Blossom perfume from Lush is another perfect two-in-one that smells as wonderful sprayed on the bed linens as it does on me — a riot of blossoms and neroli that conjures summer. And the matte black bottle would look really great in a hyper-modern white bathroom, the kind where you have trouble figuring out how to turn the water on.

Opening photo via Flickr/NathanBranch

Tweets that mention Perfume as Room Spray -- what to do with perfume you love but can't wear -- Topsy.com
28 January 2011 at 11:53 am
5 March 2012 at 12:44 pm
Best Summer Fragrances for 2011
18 December 2012 at 8:12 am
The Best Candles to Give as Gifts
20 December 2012 at 5:09 pm

lovethescents 28 January 2011 at 4:11 pm

I have way too much perfume in my collection and have done just what you’ve suggested. Actually, there are some fragrances I find myself using exclusively for linens, like Barbara Bui, for example. That heliotrope is so lovely!

Liza 28 January 2011 at 4:38 pm

Ooh. I don’t know the Barbara Bui fragrance. (Love her boots though. They’re available here in Toronto at The Room. Fancy.)

Heliotrope-scented bedlinens sounds perfect. Especially this time of year.

lovethescents 28 January 2011 at 5:08 pm

I have never tried any Barbara Bui fashions. The perfume, called Le Parfum, is discontinued but easily and readily available online. MUA has some ready for swapping too :-)

Liza 28 January 2011 at 10:41 pm

Oh no. Swapping with other beauty addicts? That way lies certain madness. :)
I haven’t ever bought dead stock perfume online. But it’s never too late to start…

Janine 29 January 2011 at 5:21 am

I actually do use fragrance as room spray! Used a whole bottle of citrusy-floral Christian Dior scent that way — spritzed the curtains as well as the bed linens. Wish I could remember the name of it. A summer scent, I think, green-tinted, vertical-ridged, stacked-rings sort of bottle. Maybe 2001, or 2002. A few Marc Jacob scents have been thus employed as well.

Am now tempted by the Lush Orange Blossom. I can’t wear it, but I bet I’d love the fragrance in a room.

Liza 29 January 2011 at 11:18 am

Curtains too? Love it. Janine’s house of light and sunshine. Like it.

I can picture that Dior bottle, but can’t think of the name. Anyone?

Excellent idea to use the Marc Jacobs splashes. A lot of summer fragrances, where they add a citrus note to an existing scent, would also work.

lovethescents 29 January 2011 at 11:35 am

Re: the Dior, you’re not talking about Tendre Poison, the Poison flanker? Or the Energissante one, maybe?

Liza 29 January 2011 at 12:00 pm

I just google-imaged it. It *is* Energisante. Nice one, lovethescents. Thank you.

Janine 30 January 2011 at 3:13 am

And those splashes are in such big bottles — a shame not to share with your room, right? *grin*

Energisante is indeed the fragrance! Wish they still made it. Love. (Poison and me cannot be in the same room together. GAH.)

Liza 30 January 2011 at 11:32 am

“Share with your room.” Awww. You really are a beauty evangelist.

Jane 29 January 2011 at 11:06 am

My Beauty Guru was my dear Aunt. I remember shopping with her as a teenager & and just as we were leaving the shops she said, “Oh wait, I need to get a bottle of Diorissimo”. Well I knew even then that she didn’t wear the tame lily of the valley Dior so I asked her why she was getting it. “To spray on my light bulbs, of course, dahling”
I do this with perfumes that I don’t wear anymore. Spray bulbs when cold (hot bulbs can explode when spritzed…I found out…) in the morning, then when you come home in the evening and turn on your lights, your home wafts with a soft perfume. Heaven.

lovethescents 29 January 2011 at 11:31 am

What a wonderful idea!!

Liza 29 January 2011 at 11:59 am

Oh how lovely. A glamorous auntie –just what every teenage girl needs. I bet you think of her with every spritz.

I’ve never had a bulb explode (that actually sounds rather dangerous) but I did have one smoke terribly.

Jane 29 January 2011 at 6:12 pm

She was SO glam! She had a King size round bed with a velvet tufted headboard & her bedroom smelled like the cosmetic floor of a department store. Her collection of rhinestone cuffs, collars & tiaras from her days wearing Balmain & Dior in the 50s was enough to keep me entertained & playing in her room til I was ;)

Liza 30 January 2011 at 10:26 am

Wowza. She sounds like Auntie Mame from the movie of the same name (if you’ve never seen it, you must youtube it for the interior design and costumes. And the dialogue. And Rosalind Russell’s sheer awesomeness.)

Rhinestone cuffs? Swoon.

Catherine 30 January 2011 at 12:12 pm

So funny! I use cheaper room spay as perfume! I don’t know why, but to me the L’Occitane lavender pour maison just smells better than the eau de toilette!

By the way, I featured you in my blog post today! I’ve started using retinol to brighten my skin, and your segment on Steven and Chris helped educate me about key ingredients for skin care as I get older, so I am sharing it with my readers too!

- Catherine at The Spring

Janine 31 January 2011 at 6:49 pm

L’Occitane is a nice brand for that — so’s Jo Malone. Neither is so cheap though. If you start wearing, say, Febreze as perfume, perhaps we’ll worry some. *grin*

Thanks for the mention on your blog; so glad the segment helped :-)

Lesa 31 January 2011 at 12:12 pm

C’mon, Liza, WRITE FOR ME!!

Liza 31 January 2011 at 4:53 pm

Blushing furiously here (or is it just my Janine Falcon-approved Mary Kay Cheek Glaze?)