This smoky eye on Leighton Meester (on a Herbal Essences junket in Spain) is my favourite kind. I first noticed what I like to call the “quick-line” version (cuz it’s so quick!) of the look several years ago when I spotted my pal Andrea Claire putting it on a makeover participant on “So Chic.” Her execution modernised the smoky eye for me — a soft shade made sultry by rimming just the lashlines (aka tightlining) with black. And still it prevails as the fresher-than-Taylor-Swift, more approachable way to do smoky eyes.
It’s also a great, quick day-to-night trick — in fact, I often show bridal clients this move so they can sultry up post I-Do for the evening reception. Here’s how to get the look:
1) Prep lids with a lid primer.
2) Pat a cream-coloured shadow all over lid.
3) Sweep a medium shade of brown from lash line to just above the crease, blending the top edge so it fades just under the brow bone.
4) Pat a chocolate brown shimmery shadow all over the lid, blending into the crease. Run the same shade under the lower lashline.
5) Dab a bit of sheer, shimmery white shadow in the inner corners of the eyes.
6) Use a waterproof gel liner or a creamy waterproof black pencil to line the upper lashlines as well as the inner upper rim and the inner lower rim. Smudge a little of the chocolate brown into the liner along the top lashline to soften a bit if you like.
7) Curl lashes, apply false lashes, and finish with mascara.
8) Fill brows in with a matte shadow that matches your hair.
For day, skip the liner and false lashes. After five, it’s just a quick-line job and a set of falsies to get ready. Think you can do it? With a practice run or two, you so can. Trust me.
Stay-put gel liners to try include Smashbox Jet Set, MAC Fluidline and Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Gel Liner. Creamy budge-not pencils include CoverGirl LiquiLine Blast, Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Inspired by Carmindy Forever Stay Eye Pencils, and Make Up For Ever Aqua Eyes.
Here’s Leighton’s again — she’s too pretty not to show uncropped. (I should post that interview I did with Leighton soon, huh? See some of what we chatted about in The Kit.)
Dear JustJared, I’m going to name all my firstborn children after you.