Hot Lips: Sandra Bullock and Vera Farmiga at the 2010 Oscars

by Janine on 8 March 2010 · 15 comments

Despite what bronzaholic-commentator-designer Randolph Duke had to say about Oscar-winner Sandra Bullock’s choice of bright pink-red lipstick with her pale metallic Marchesa gown, it was the prettiest pop of lip colour of the evening. (And her acceptance speech may have been the best ever.) According to Teen Vogue‘s Eva Chen via Twitter, Bullock wore CHANEL Rouge Coco in 22 Paris ($38) on her lips and cheeks. No word yet on the gorgeous colour Up in the Air’s Vera Farmiga wore, but I covet. In the meantime I’ll make do with my favourite pink-red for Spring, Elizabeth Arden Ceramide Plump Perfect Lipstick in Perfect Tulip ($28).

The shade is a gutsy colour, yes, but softer and more girly than power red, sweet yet strong. In a word: feminine.

This just in: For more deets on Sandra Bullock’s look by makeup artist Angela Levin and hairstylist Adir Abergel, click here (thanks for the heads-up, Lesa!).

Elizabeth Arden is available at Shoppers Drug Mart Beauty Boutiques and department stores; lipstick image courtesy of Elizabeth Arden.

Red Lips get Ash Koley NOTICED
11 March 2010 at 8:46 am
Sandra Bullock makeup looks
29 April 2010 at 9:41 pm
Chanel Rouge Coco Lipstick
10 June 2010 at 9:49 am

katherine 8 March 2010 at 11:19 am

I feel like swiping some on now! Especially in this warm weather.

Janine 8 March 2010 at 4:53 pm

Bright sunshine and happy temperatures rather do inspire a just-as-cheery lip colour, don’t they, Katherine? That said, I’m wearing lip balm. Sheesh.

sue 8 March 2010 at 12:58 pm

Hated the lipstick. It was too distracting. Makeup should enhance, not scream “look at my lips..now”!

Janine 8 March 2010 at 5:00 pm

There was a time I’d have agreed wholeheartedly with you, Sue — my own preference is a subtle look (don’t be fooled by my all-made-up profile photo). I called it “look-again” beauty, understated makeup that makes you look again because the person looks so pretty without you knowing why.

But I’ve been playing some with bolder lip colours myself, and I have to say I’ve really started to enjoy the transformation! It’s an entirely different and wonderfully confident beauty look that can offset creamy skin and simple eye makeup — plus it reads really well from a red carpet.

Bold lips say glamour in a snap, and sometimes, that’s the look for the moment. Besides, both Sandra Bullock and Vera Farmiga have beautifully shaped lips. If mine were like theirs, I’d certainly occasionally enjoy “look at my lips… now!” moments. *grin*

Michelle (BeautyEditor.ca) 8 March 2010 at 10:03 pm

Totally agree. I love a natural look but there is something so fresh about this. Also just compare and contrast with Kate Winslet last night – she looked a bit drab with all the beige happening on her face + body. The pink lips are fun and unexpected.

Janine 8 March 2010 at 10:25 pm

Yes, that’s it, Michelle — fun and unexpected! Red is a glam given. Pink? Funexpected!

Ellen Mirza 8 March 2010 at 2:08 pm

I thought that Sandra Bullock looked just gorgeous!

Janine 8 March 2010 at 5:15 pm

Me too! Well, clearly. *grin* Loved that her eye makeup was simpler than her usual winged-black-liner-plus-shimmer approach, and her rosy cheeks with that lipstick… fresh and polished at the same time, and gorgeous with her light, glimmery dress. Best look out of her three awards-show looks (Golden Globe/SAG/Oscars).

Liza 8 March 2010 at 8:23 pm

Yes. Agreed. I don’t know why so many people trash-talked Ms. Bullock’s lips. I loved that shade. Such a great, exuberant contrast to her gown. And hello – she has the full lips to carry off such a bright shade. And while we’re at it, could Miley Cyrus and her Baby Trollop bustier please go away, like, um, forever? She makes the smoky cat-eye look bad. There. Now I feel better. Thank you.

Janine 8 March 2010 at 8:35 pm

Love your take, Liza! As for Miley Cyrus, that girl needs comportment lessons. Worst. Posture. Ever. Schlumpy McSchlump-Schlump. GAH.

And yes, I did too use the word comportment! Woot!

Liza 8 March 2010 at 10:10 pm

Yes. That’s it. Miley’s slumped shoulders were also to blame. Proper comportment is essential if you’re going to appear on the Oscars in a strapless dress. Excellent point. Comportment indeed.

Janine 8 March 2010 at 10:27 pm

I think perhaps comportment has appeared in no other blog as many times. *beaming with pride*