Paris Match: Bourjois Paris Makeup Comes Back to Canada

by Janine on 13 October 2009 · 16 comments

Bourjois_baked_powders

Sharp-eyed beauty geeks remember a brief time when Bourjois Paris was in Canada, a few years back when Sephora opened its first Great White North doors. It disappeared quietly soon afterward, but now the colourful line of cosmetics is back with a new shining presence at select Shoppers Drug Mart and Pharmaprix locations (as well as Murale by year’s end).

France’s oldest and largest cosmetic brand, Bourjois revolutionized makeup in Paris with the first powder blush. Invented by Alexander Napoléan Bourjois in 1863 as an alternative to the fat-based greasepaint of the day, the little baked coloured-powder dome took makeup from the theatre (and, er, ladies of the evening) to mainstream.

eyeshadow.groupshotStill the finish of choice for Bourjois shadows and blush, baked powder (standard is pressed) allows for a high-pigment intensity, plus easy workability when shadows are applied wet. (Attention beauty junkies: baked powders are also part of Italian makeup line Pupa, The Body Shop’s Fall collection, and makeup artist Laura Geller’s eponymous line.)

Bourjois Paris is known for its cute blush and eye shadow containers coloured to match the shade inside, a why-don’t-more-companies-do-this concept the company implemented in 1914. Textures include matte, shimmery and girlish glitter for both, complete with wee applicators curved to fit the pots.

The large, definitely contemporary collection also includes mascaras such as Volume Clubbing Mascara with rub-resistant vinyl, and Liner Effect, which gives an eyeliner look as it lengthens lashes. A Mineral Matte mousse foundation delivers a velvety finish when applied with a kabuki brush, and the shimmery Délice de Poudre Bronzing Powder tempts with a chocolatey scent.

As well, bourjois.com features an excellent variety of “makeup class” videos, about which I’ve already geeked out, for easy-follow learning.

This story appears in today’s Metro News. Bourjois Paris is available at Shoppers Drug Mart, Pharmaprix and, soon, Murale in Canada; bourjois.ca for info. Images courtesy of Bourjois Paris.

TikiGlam
13 October 2009 at 11:39 am
Wet-Eyeshadow Tips
21 June 2010 at 10:03 am
Bourjois Paris Rouge Edition Lipsticks in Canada
31 January 2013 at 9:34 pm

Lorraine 13 October 2009 at 6:16 pm

Oh I adore that intense pigment colour! Does it stay put? How is its wearability?

Janine 14 October 2009 at 6:15 am

The silky shadows go on and blend easily, and they wear well, too. I’ve been using them in my makeup kit for bridal makeup, actually. Great hues, and thanks to the coloured pots that match the shade inside, I’m enjoying the ease of reaching for the right colour without having to look closely to figure out what colour it is. A little thing, but a good thing when efficiency is important!

Michelle (Lipstick Rules) 13 October 2009 at 7:26 pm

Hooray Hooray! I have a few products (shadow and blush) from a swap I did with a fellow blogger in the UK and loving it! I’m excited to have access and see more of the goodies in person. My poor wallet though…

Janine 14 October 2009 at 6:16 am

It’s not really an inexpensive line, ’tis true. Prices are on par with brands such as Clinique et al!

Michelle 14 October 2009 at 11:53 am

Clinique prices? Hmmm…not sure I support that, just based on the packaging. Don’t get me wrong – I think the brand has some lovely stuff, but I didn’t picture it at all at that price point.
(Sadly it’s always a shock to me whenever I learn how much beauty products actually cost. So sheltered these past few years!!)

rachel sherman 1 February 2010 at 4:58 am

please tell me where in Toronto or near I can find a store that sells Bourjois Paris makeup foundation.
Thanks

Janine 1 February 2010 at 8:33 am

Hi Rachel, you should be able to find the foundation at Murale and at the bigger Shoppers Drug Mart Beauty Boutiques. Perhaps an email to the Shoppers Drug Mart customer-service folks might help?

Michelle (LipstickRules) 4 February 2010 at 9:13 pm

I’ve been searching high and low for these goodies too. Haven’t found any in my part of town sadly. :-(

patricia 17 February 2010 at 7:26 pm

looking for a lipstick I found in Amsterdam airport
15 Abricotine pour mutines
my mother had one of the little blue cardboard rouges. Wish I had kept it, Patricia

jojoba (My Makeup Reviews) 8 March 2010 at 11:28 pm

I really love the first picture. it’s so beautiful!

Adriana Risiglione 6 April 2011 at 7:46 pm

Can someone tell me where i can find bourjois healthy mix foundation 16h in Chicago Il? I love this foundation and ulta stopped selling it.Thanks

Janine 6 April 2011 at 8:06 pm

I’m guessing Bourjois Paris isn’t really represented in the US, Adriana — there isn’t a US website, nor is there a Bourjois USA Facebook page. Huh. I’ll see what I can find out from my side of the screen, but maybe you want to ask the question on the Bourjois Canada Facebook page? The person who maintains it should at least have a way to get more company info.

Good luck!

Janine 9 April 2011 at 7:10 pm

Hi Adriana,

Unfortunate news: Bourjois Paris is apparently no longer distributed in the US except via an exclusive arrangement with ASOS.com, and Healthy Mix isn’t part of the lineup. It will be available in Canada this Fall; hopefully you have help-y friends here?

What is it you like about the foundation so much? Perhaps we can find you something comparable to try?