Not Makeup, but it Makes Me Smile: IKEA’s Hemnes Linen Cabinet

by Janine on 2 September 2008 · 21 comments

I wasn’t sure about telling you about this, but my new blogosphere friend Nikki convinced me to come clean.

I’m in love with a pretty yellow cabinet.

Some might worry, but folks who know me well are perking up — my girlish crush on IKEA’s cheery lacquered pine Hemnes Linen Cabinet ($349 CAN/$299 US) might actually prompt a massive purge and redecoration in my cluttered apartment. Well, at least in my bedroom. And believe me, it’ll be a superhuman job.

Well, love can make a girl feel all-powerful. If it happens in the bedroom, so much the better.

I’ll have Clive-O keep you posted, shall I?

{ 1 trackback }

I Miss the Yellow Hemnes Linen Cabinet | At Home with Kim Vallee
12 June 2010 at 4:34 pm

Nikki 2 September 2008 at 10:23 pm

oohhh that is so “cheer-ry” I want one!!! Is it too much if I ask you to “hand carry” this personally from Canada to the Philippines? LOL I have never seen this in my entire life!!! I have my linen sheets in boring “none see thru” drawers!

Janine Falcon 2 September 2008 at 10:26 pm

Hey, I’m busy trying to figure out how to get one from the US on account it’s a tad less expensive there, despite our dollars being so close in value at the moment! It is a happy cabinet, though, isn’t it? *lovesick sigh*

If I could figure out how to get one to you, Nikki, I would!

Heather 2 September 2008 at 11:05 pm

I fell in love with the whole Hemnes series a few months back and splurged on the massive “tallboy” dresser. Oh but that yellow! I’m swooning!

Nikki 2 September 2008 at 11:46 pm

LOL you are sweet but I don’t want to pay customs and extra taxes for that ! LOL I will just settle on my boring furniture!

Olga 3 September 2008 at 12:50 pm

Taking a break from painting and make-up is the last thing on my mind today – so perfect timing with some furniture info. It really is a nice piece and I am redecorating…hmmm… and I don’t need any more lipgloss… You had me at yellow. You had me at yellow.

Holly Sisson 3 September 2008 at 2:28 pm

This looks beautiful (and so much better then the pic Ikea has on their website!) I don’t think I have enough towels to do it justice…wonder how it would look with clothes in it instead….hmmm. (I think after shipping, duties, etc., it’s probably pretty close in price compared to from the U.S., not to mention our $ has dropped a bit….)

Janine Falcon 3 September 2008 at 2:31 pm

Shipping from the US? I was thinking more cross-border shopping, but of course gas prices and accommodations to qualify for that amount of cash spent… yeah, I’ll just pop over to the Leslie St. location. Sheesh. I see your point, Holly. *wry grin*

Olga, you make me laugh — thanks!

The Rock 3 September 2008 at 8:15 pm

Yeah, so not worth making a run for the border Falcon! The gas alone to haul that thing back here will cost you more than the $50 difference between the US and CDN price.

But more to the point: You need it. I urge you.

Janine Falcon 3 September 2008 at 8:24 pm

You are SO right, Rockie! It’s so pretty that it keeps me going every time I think of the huge undertaking ahead of me. That room… sheesh. Oooh, pretty cabinet!

See? *grin*

The Rock 3 September 2008 at 10:20 pm

I will help with said room! If you ever grow the cajones to allow me to see it….

Janine Falcon 3 September 2008 at 10:37 pm

Think NYC crime or emergency show… investigators show up at a dingy, cramped apartment crammed with papers, whatnots, whoozits, chachkes… or in my case, papers, bags, boxes, clothes, makeup of all kinds. All I need are doilies on the furniture and a few hundred cats. Ugh.

Oooh, pretty cabinet!

annette 7 September 2008 at 3:43 pm

ooh…. for a thesaurus? a slang dictionary?

April 11 September 2008 at 5:15 pm

I am in love with this cabinet as well. Only I’d like to put it in my kitchen to use as a china cabinet. Think the shelves are strong enough to hold that?

Janine Falcon 11 September 2008 at 5:19 pm

Cute as a china cabinet! You’d have to ask an IKEA associate if it’s strong enough, mind you — and pilfer plates from their marketplace area to take to the bedroom vignette to see if they fit the depth of the shelves, of course. Fun!

April 11 September 2008 at 5:37 pm

“and pilfer plates from their marketplace area to take to the bedroom vignette to see if they fit the depth of the shelves, of course.”

Great idea!

Janine Falcon 11 September 2008 at 5:46 pm

I just think that would be FUN! You’d give fellow shoppers a great new idea, yes?

ChickAdvisor 18 September 2008 at 1:06 am

It’s beautiful. I love it! Sigh! If only my bathroom wasn’t so tiny :(

heather j 2 November 2009 at 7:44 pm

i love this cabinet, but on the ikea website, it says, “this furniture must be attached to the wall,” to keep it sturdy. this makes me wary of it. it might be flimsy…. is the backing particle board? i want it anyways….

Janine 2 November 2009 at 10:36 pm

Actually, I still don’t know, Heather! I can’t figure out why one would need to anchor it — it’s a fairly short cabinet, not a bookshelf. I should go check it out — might finally kickstart an organizing flurry. *sigh*

I still dream of it, you know. :-)

Dan K 7 November 2010 at 8:58 pm

The reason it is required to be anchored to the wall is to prevent the piece from tipping over due to a child or earthquake. I believe this piece is solid pine so particle board shouldn’t be an issue.